Convincing 4th Edition players to consider 5th Edition

Steely_Dan

First Post
1) This makes so little sense that I need to ask if you've been drinking lately.

2) Actually, according to that definition D&D has contained bad rules in every iteration so far, from OD&D right up through 4E.

3) Also, I didn't really give any definition that states what a good or bad game might be.

1) Consistently, I live in England (but you still, hopefully, know what I meant).

2) What definition, what bad rules?

3) Exactly.

pemerton

Legend
My favorite example is the wizard in my first game. There was a dungeon that had ventilation shafts all through it and they were infested with germlaine that would constantly harass the party. So she used her Stinking Cloud spell and concocted a ritual (using a skill challenge) to make it into a cloud that would flow down into the shafts below the floor and wipe out the germlaine. This for me is 4e in a nutshell, powerful flexible generalized mechanics that the players can build solutions out of. For the stuff they do all the time, it gives you a totally solid baseline, and you can still do all the crazy stuff.
Good stuff. This is like my possession/mind reading example. Skill challenges - DCs plus the success/failure structure - give the framework for creativity without brokenness or endless arguments.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
This conversation seems like two sides have decided to talk at cross purposes, explaining why their view is better because "it's more Fun this way." Fun is subjective. I just don't see either side convincing the other that "this Fun is better than your Fun." As always, play what you like :)

pemerton

Legend
A one-person approach though, is not warped. It's the standard. How do you think Christopher Nolan/Peter Jackson/Guillermo del Toro/etc. would feel about having everyone on the set vote which shot to use, how many takes to do, changing the script, and so on?

<snip>

Is it more likely that a DM who is physically in the room, knows the participants, and is responsible for creating the story will make a bad decision, or is it more likely that some unseen writer trying to make money off of the masses will do so?
This is a huge issue of controversy in RPG design and play.

I am not interested in playing an RPG where the GM is responsible for creating the story. (What are the players, then? Spectators? Viewers? Readers? Performers of the GM's script?) I want the story to emerge out of play.

Rule Zero is the foundational rule of rpgs. What the DM thinks is reasonable is what goes.

<snip>

Ultimately, D&D is not a democracy. While a DM should be a benevolent dictator, his opinion is ultimately the only one that matters.[/QUOTE]Although the 4e rules are a little amibalent on some of these issues (contrast the PHB with the DMG and the DMG2) it is certainly not in unambiguous agreement with you.

Consider p 9 of the PHB:

The Dungeon Master has several functions in the game.

*Adventure Builder: The DM creates adventures (or selects premade adventures) for you and the other players to play through.

* Narrator: The DM sets the pace of the story and presents the various challenges and encounters the players must overcome.

* Monster Controller: The Dungeon Master controls the monsters and villains the player characters battle against, choosing their actions and rolling dice for their attacks.

* Referee: When it’s not clear what ought to happen next, the DM decides how to apply the rules and adjudicate the story.​

The first two of these functions vest the GM with backstory and scene-framing authority. The third and fourth establish the GM as playing a key adjudicative role in action resolution.

There is some ambiguity over where plot authority (ie authority over the unfolding of the story) lies, although I think the best reading of the game overall is that plot is expected to emerge out of actualy play.

There is nothing here about rule zero, or about the GM's view being the only one that matters.

The 4e DMG says this (p 189):

As Dungeon Master, you wear several hats: storyteller, rules arbiter, actor, adventure designer, and writer. Some DMs like to add a sixth hat to that stack: rules designer. House rules are variants on the basic rules designed specifically for a particular DM’s campaign. They add fun to your D&D game by making it unique,
reflecting specific traits of your world.

A house rule also serves as a handy “patch” for a game feature that your group dislikes...

Think carefully about the reason for changing or adding a rule. Are you reacting to a persistent problem in your campaign, or to one specific incident? Isolated problems might be better handled in other ways. More important, do the other players agree to the need for a change? You have the authority to do whatever you want with the game, but your efforts won’t help if you have no group.​

Despite the reference to authority, this hardly implies that the GM's view is ultimately the only one that matters. And this is before we get to the discussions in the DMG and DMG2 of player-formulated quests, player contributions to scene-framing and stakes-setting, etc.

Oh, please. Not this again.

Rule Zero is a foundational rule of some rpgs - not all, not always.

<snip>

I'm rarely interested in running a game with a Rule Zero, and I find I have plenty to choose from.
D&D definitionally has a DM. Some games may distribute the responsibility. In this case, the consensus or the like is effectively Rule Zero. None of them can require you to use the rules over your own judgement. That's the issue.
Well a set of rules can't require you in the sense of forcing you - unlike the law in the Australia or the US, for example, they lack police, courts and bailiffs.

But a game can certainly say, Follow the rules or this game won't work. B/X D&D doesn't say this - it talks about the rules as guidelines. Burning Wheel, on the other hand, strongly insists on the rules as written being crucial to the experience. Given that they are different games using different techniques to produce different play experiences, that's not surprising. And it's unrelated to the presence of a GM - Burning Wheel, like D&D, has a GM.

I think that, in this repsect, 4e is closer to BW than to B/X D&D. Its action resolution mechanics are a fairly tightly integrated whole. (But, as with BW, you can probably toy with some of the elements on the lists - monsters, weapons, spells etc - without destabilising things too badly.)

I think "Rule Zero" - or as I like to call it, making judgement calls - is an important feature of RPGs.
I agree with the need for judgement calls. I think that's what's going on in 4e when the GM acts as "monster controller" and referee. But I think rule zero, as it is typically (or often) used, is about something more than this. It's about a particular sort of GM authority over the ruleset, and perhaps also adjudication (a high degree of GM authority to suspend the action resolution mechanics, in the interests of the story, or to avoid unreasonable results - both notions that Ahnehnois has deployed above).

People don't need a Rule Zero to give them the ability to change the game because it is redundant in that capacity; they can never be deprived of that ability. What's important, then, is its role in establishing the meta-rules that helps people determine who does that and how.
Agreed.

Crazy Jerome

First Post
I think a person much confused about the boundaries between player and character wants and agenda is incapable, by definition, of making consistently good adjudications as a DM, much less explaining them to anyone else. They might get by at it, the same way that people don't need to be perfect drivers to make it to work and back most days. That is, if there is no pressure, they can Take 10 on their DM adjudication rolls. ;)

Tony Vargas

Legend
Any rule that leads to people not having fun, or worse having a bad time, is a bad rule for a game. There are no qualifiers or mitigating factors for this, which means that a rule that is fine for 75% of players but bad for 25% of players is a bad rule, and so is a rule that adds a lot of fun but has some unfortunate side-effects. This is a bit broad, and will include a LOT of D&D rules from every edition, but I think it's important to cast such a wide net.
By that definition, every rule in every RPG is bad, because some people just don't like RPGs and would thus never have fun playing under any RPG rules of any kind.

'Fun' is very subjective - very nearly worthless as a criterion upon which to design a game, really. Which is ironic, when you consider that it's kinda the point. ;)

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
For roleplaying the answer to all this is simple; forget "real world" physics. Let the game work according to the game rules.
If one wants to forget real-world physics and have the game world run on its own different physics as defined by the game rules, those rules are going to have to include an awful lot of pretty dry stuff about how said game-world physics actually work...think about it.

You can't really have it both ways. Either you use real-world physics as a basis for what the characters are experiencing in the game world (e.g. you fall because of gravity, fire doesn't burn without oxygen, solid-liquid-gas are the three states of matter, the characters are carbon-based lifeforms, etc.) and tweak them a bit to suit what magic does; or you start completely from scratch and rewrite physics to suit your game world and the universe that contains it.

And as every DM is probably going to end up with a different result, you're talking some mighty thick houserule books there.
If the DM has deliberately ignored a written rule without prior notice then as far as I'm concerned the DM is wholly culpable for the lack of "fun" and any unpleasantness that follows.
Conversely, if a DM intentionally ignores a rule and a better game (i.e. more fun) results because of it, isn't that a good thing?
The designers of the game are much more likely to have thought about and developed a rule that fits the intended aim and tenor of the ruleset than I am. If they have done their job well the rules they have produced will mesh together to create a seamless whole. If that coherent, focussed game is not what I want, then I would much rather select another rule set that fits closer to the focus that I want to promote in play than start fiddling piecemeal with a set of rules designed (I hope) to work together in the vain assumption that I can design on the fly something more coherent than a team of professional designers have been able to produce in several months of work.
Problem is, for most of us pretty much any game system will have some aspects to it that some of us like and others that we do not; and they'll be different for every one of us. It's a lottery win if someone other than yourself writes what is for you the perfect rpg; and that same game might not work for me at all. And so we either have to accept a game that isn't what we really want, or we kitbash. I mean, I love 1e to pieces; but I suspect Messers Gygax and Arneson would be turning in their graves if they knew what I've done to its rules over the years.

So - and this is where 5e might really be getting it right, let's hope - modularity becomes the answer: a stripped-to-the-bone core framework on which can be hung any number of different modules and decorations, where each DM can choose which ones to use or not use.

And it's the DM who in the end has final say over whether a design is good enough for the group, as if it isn't she won't run a game; meaning either someone else has to take over or nobody plays at all.

Lanefan

4e's okay at that. The solid math and simple mechanics make it easier to adjudicate, but it's not encouraged as much as it should be and there's very little advice.
The go-to response is "nuh-uh, look at page 42" which is good but wasn't really updated and revised. The damage expressions didn't change between the DMG and DMG2 (only the DCs), and I never saw that chart in Essentials. So it was never updated to reflect the monster math of MM3. Plus, the damage is low. Lower than an At-Will, which also have bonuses and secondary effects. And a skill check was suggested. You're always encouraged to use At-Wills, becomes improvising - by the rules - is nonoptimal.

As a DM I always found it tricky because there were so many powers that did so many things. If you could use Page 42 to deal damage and trip, what was the benefit of having a power that tripped?

Having Page 42 was nice. I would have loved that in earlier editions. But the game accidentally discouraged its use.
Well, I don't think it was presented in the ideal way. Other people have commented many times on how at least some part of it should have been in the PHB, at least a reference to the concept if not the actual crunch part.

I don't think the damage expressions were too low actually, even for MM3 math. It kind of depends on what you want to do. For some simple repeatable tricks the damage IS low (IE the low standard damage expression) but the assumption is that the trick will be particularly appropriate to the tactical situation and thus have other benefits or will advance the story etc. You also don't really want the easily repeatable tricks to be too overly effective damage dealers. When you get to the really situational kind of stuff like something you can only do once in a very specific situation (due to terrain or some other unique circumstance) then the limited damage expressions can be pretty nice, surpassing encounter powers in a lot of cases. Again, the ancillary results should be the kicker. Remember too, you can always combine power use with tricks too in at least some cases. Using a spell in an unusual way, or an exploit, etc.

You do have to use page 42 some and get a feel for it. Like anything as flexible as that it won't work perfectly in every situation as RAW, but there's a good basis there. I think the main area they could have talked about would have been 'fail forward', which is only very sketchily talked about in 4e materials at all.

So, this would be an example of where 5e can apply polish to 4e. This is really what I want to see, a better 4e. There's plenty of room for improvement, and if WotC really wants our interest as 4e fans they'll stop trying to eviscerate it and just improve it. I could really care less about their marketing issues, it doesn't matter to me.

By that definition, every rule in every RPG is bad, because some people just don't like RPGs and would thus never have fun playing under any RPG rules of any kind.

'Fun' is very subjective - very nearly worthless as a criterion upon which to design a game, really. Which is ironic, when you consider that it's kinda the point. ;)

I think the best approach is for designers to ask what is fun for most of our audience. The problem is there are a few areas where opinions are quite close but strongly divided so offering a change to please one group displeases another. In less mainstream rpgs with narrower audience this isn't a problem, you can easily design toward some sort of style, flavor and mechanical goal...with D&D the audience is so broad an overly focused system will only be able to appeal to a small section of players. So it gets a lot harder to say what is a good or bad mechanic in D&D.

I bet if we posted the question "what is a fun mechanic and what is unfun mechanic?" here we would get lots of contradictory responses. And my guess is that the more controvertial mechanics would be very closely split 60-40 or even 50-50. If half the audience thinks healing surges are fun and half don't, that is a tough spot (because it may also mean that the pro-healing surge players feel having no heaing surges is unfun). If half the crowd loves vancian and half hates it, same think. Just look at the debates over how fighters should function and what makes them fun in play.

Remove ads