Burned Circle - OOC Thread

Shayuri

First Post
Okay, so tagging this new complication is free?

And that gives me what sort of advantage? Like if Juno were to focus on moving around, for example...forcing the ghoul to try to keep up with her, making it work harder so being out of breath hindered it...would that cost FATE? What effect would it have on my rolls?

Bluedevil

First Post
Okay, so tagging this new complication is free?

free the first time, fate point everytime after that.

And that gives me what sort of advantage? Like if Juno were to focus on moving around, for example...forcing the ghoul to try to keep up with her, making it work harder so being out of breath hindered it...would that cost FATE? What effect would it have on my rolls?

+2 to a roll, you could use it to make him miss you once cause his pain kicks in or he cant reach as far, or you could use it when you hit him so that he cant block, etc.

ThirdWizard

First Post
I'll expand on what Bluedevil said and try to dig into maneuvers at the same time, because maneuvers are really tactically the best way to go in this game usually. They're designed to lead to a more narrative feel, you set up the shot and take it for big effect - something you see in the books time and time again.

Invoking Aspects
First, what you can do with aspects. Using an aspect is called invoking that aspect. You can see YS98 for all the details, but here are the basics:

1. Think of how an aspect applies to the situation or can be used
  2. Invoke that aspect to gain some advantage or give some penalty

Aspects
You have aspects. The scene has aspects. The campaign has aspects. The NPCs have aspects. Everything has aspects. The trick is learning those aspects so that you can use them. Here are a few aspects relevant to the situation right now. Normally you'd perform an Assessment action to learn them, but I'll spell a few out for learning purposes:

• Scene Aspect: Twilight Going on Night
  • Ghoul Aspect: Anger Issues
  • Campaign Aspect: Trouble Around The Corner

You can use any of these aspects, not just your own. Assessing the situation to learn aspects is a great way of getting bonuses through tagging (below), but often not practical in a fight due to taking actions to do so (depending on the skill).

Alternately you can guess at an aspect. You could probably guess that there's some kind of sunset aspect on the current scene for example. I don't make you know the exact name. If you said you wanted to tag the Sunset Aspect, I'd allow it. Now, if you make an assumption that is wrong, however, you lose the FATE point you're spending (since you can't tag it without knowing it exists). So that's a gamble. If you gambled because I wasn't clear in my description of something, however, you won't lose the FATE point.

Invoking
Invoking an aspect costs a FATE point normally, but if you just discovered an aspect in a scene (say through an assessment) or the aspect was just created (say a consequence), you can invoke it without spending a FATE point. That's a tag.

The most common two ways to invoke an aspect are to gain +2 to a die roll or to reroll a die roll. Those are pretty straight forward. Remember, you have to find an aspect that fits the situation, and you always decide whether or not to invoke an aspect after the dice have been rolled. It's retroactive to the roll. No need to spend when you don't need to and no need to decide how you'll use the invoke until you see the dice results.

The next way is to invoke for effect. Invoking for effect is more complex.

This is where making a declaration and using a FATE point comes in. We had a long discussion about that, so I think everyone gets it, but just to recap: declarations are taking something previously unknown in the game world and then defined by the player during play.

The second way to invoke for effect is to invoke a compel on the enemy. This next part is important: If you spend a FATE point to invoke to compel, the target of the compel gets the FATE point! Tagging bypasses this. You didn't spend a FATE point, they don't get a FATE point. If they buy off the compel, as some NPCs do have FATE points to spend, you do not get the FATE point back. It just goes away.

Maneuvers
This post is getting way too long! Okay, I'll try to keep this brief. We'll see.

A maneuver is something you do in the combat. Dirty tricks, tactical movement, changes to the area around you, "Your shoelaces are untied", whatever. Think cinematically. Maneuvers create aspects. You can create an aspect on yourself (called a naval gazing maneuver) or create them on someone else. Things like On His Back, Blown Off Balance, In My Sights, Steady Hand, Flanked, Rattled, Fallen Tree, Broken Glass, Sudden Darkness, Dust Cloud, Smoke Screen, Flat Tire, Focused on the Road, Flour on the Floor, etc. can all be aspects created through maneuvers.

To perform a maneuver you take an action to make a skill roll. If successful, the aspect is applied. Sometimes the skill roll is opposed, as the case of Stealth vs. Alertness. Other times it is made against a base difficulty, especially in the case of naval gazing maneuvers.

You can tag maneuvers in the scene in which they were created. That means you can layer aspects. And you can tag an aspect someone else created with a maneuver. That means if all four PCs perform a maneuver against one guy in an exchange, one person can tag it next exchange for +8 to the roll. That is huge. That bypasses stress tracks and goes right into creating consequences, which can further be tagged to do it all over again. Groups that work together to create aspects will do really well, and spending some FATE points to invoke the same aspect again can be truly devistating. It's much better than repeatedly attacking. One big hit is worth more than multiple small hits in DFRPG due to the way stress tracks and consequences work together and how Taken Out works.

This is one reason that FATE points are so powerful and that taking compels is so good.

Shayuri

First Post
Okay, so basically, a good idea right now would be to use a manuever to set the ghoul up for Malcolm to get a big hit in...

I could tag it's windedness to help me do that.

Hmm...must think. I'd actually rather not kill the ghoul outright, since it'd be nice to try to find out who its working for...

Guess first order of business is staying alive. :)

ThirdWizard

First Post
Okay to moving onto the next round:

[MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION]
The ghoul is pretty much outraged at Juno right now, and doesn't really see Malcom as a threat, due to the pretty bad whiff. He underestimated Juno before, so he's going to attack again. Ghouls aren't usually much for thought out tactics after all.

As for setting up a maneuver, that would be good. You could try flanking him to set Malcom or you up for a tag later (Athletics). You could do something like push some furniture between you to tag it defensively (Might or Athletics), as you've now used your highest stress box (we see how invoking helped Dragonwriter save Logan from using a consequence). You could naval gaze to psyche yourself up (Conviction). You could try and rattle the ghoul (Intimidation). The possibilities are endless.

The problem, more often than not, is that there are too many options available! :)

I wouldn't use the ghoul's minor consequence to set up another aspect, though, as you're just trading one advantage for another. Maneuvers aren't that hard to pull off. If it is against the ghoul, you just have to hit. If it is doing something else, like moving the aforementioned chair, then it's a static target, and same with naval gazing.

In any case here is the ghoul's attack against Juno for this exchange.

EDIT: Juno is able to block/dodge the ghoul's attack!

ThirdWizard

First Post
[MENTION=54988]Dragonwriter[/MENTION]
I'm compelling Logan's aspect PROTECTOR OF THE WEAK. This seems like just the situation in which the hapless non-combatant, unable to curb their anxiety and curiosity over the noises coming from outside, rushes out to see if they can help only to be caught in the middle of a deadly situation where they need to be saved. Doesn't it? Yeah. It really does.:angel:

I won't insta-kill Mara before you have a chance to react if you take the compel. She'll come out after the ghoul has gone. Speaking of which, its action is to attack Logan.

EDIT: Average roll. Logan will have to beat that in order to take no stress.

ThirdWizard

First Post
[MENTION=6694788]Bluedevil[/MENTION] [MENTION=478]Thanee[/MENTION]

The two of you are in pretty good positions to take advantage of the situation. Neither of you are under direct assault, so you can move freely, set up maneuvers how you want, etc. I've got some compels coming for both of you down the line so don't worry too much about that. I'm just waiting for what I want to be relevant.

Dragonwriter

First Post
I'm compelling Logan's aspect PROTECTOR OF THE WEAK. This seems like just the situation in which the hapless non-combatant, unable to curb their anxiety and curiosity over the noises coming from outside, rushes out to see if they can help only to be caught in the middle of a deadly situation where they need to be saved. Doesn't it? Yeah. It really does.:angel:

I won't insta-kill Mara before you have a chance to react if you take the compel. She'll come out after the ghoul has gone. Speaking of which, its action is to attack Logan.

EDIT: Average roll. Logan will have to beat that in order to take no stress.

I'll take the Compel. It fits. Freakin' civilians. :p

Rolling Defense against Claws...

EDIT: 1 Stress, I'll take the hit. I'd like to attempt a maneuver to knock the ghoul down, then grab Mara and get her back inside. Is that possible, and if so, what do I need to roll?

And in what order are the actions happening this time?

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Hmm...perhaps stick on the offense, give Malcolm a chance to do something...

Lets see how this fist rolls and see what happens...

How does Juno's enhanced Recovery work? Is it strictly out of combat?

Hoo...not bad. I shall tag his Winded to make this an 8. Lets see if I can't knock down another of his stress boxes.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases