O.G.R.E: Online Generic Randomizer Engine

kungfuchris99

First Post
Can we create new categories? If so, how? If not (which totally makes sense), can you create a "Superheroes" category? I have a ton of superhero RPG tables and generators I'd like to create. :)

--Chris M.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
O.G.R.E.

Can we create new categories? If so, how? If not (which totally makes sense), can you create a "Superheroes" category? I have a ton of superhero RPG tables and generators I'd like to create. :)

--Chris M.

Sure thing; I can create those.

kungfuchris99

First Post
I have a functionality request: Could we make it where, when editing a table and then saving it, the code could re-sort the table by range? In other words, let's say I have a table like this:

1d10

1-3: sword
4-5: axe
6: mace
7-8: spear
9-10: club

Then let's say I want to add a warhammer table item. Rather than re-jiggering the whole table, I want to just add a row and set its range like so:

7: warhammer

And then edit the spear range appropriately:

8: spear

So what the revised table would look like before clicking to save the table:

And after saving it would look like this:

So when saved the table is re-sorted by range.

Obviously in the above example redoing the whole table wouldn't be a big deal, but I already have tables that have dozens and dozens of entries, and as new items for that table occur to me, or users suggest items to add, it becomes a giant pain to add them to the end of the table and then go and re-edit all or most of the ranges for the items that were already in the table.

Does that make sense?

--Chris M.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It makes sense, yep - it's an observation I've made myself. I'll definitely add it to the list of improvements I want to make to OGRE, but it is a long list, so it may take quite some time!

Nylanfs

Adventurer
Could I make a request also? I REALLY think it would help to be able to import CSV (or plain-text files) of some type. I'm making a name generator from PCGen's plain text file of the 1990 US Census data, and in JUST the female given names there are 4275 lines.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I wouldn't recommend a 4000+ entry table, Nylanfs. You might want to split that up. It won't perform well.

kungfuchris99

First Post
It makes sense, yep - it's an observation I've made myself. I'll definitely add it to the list of improvements I want to make to OGRE, but it is a long list, so it may take quite some time!

lol! Totally understand that. :)

BTW, and I ask purely out of vanity, is there a way to tell what other tables or generators by other folks are using my tables or generators? It'd be a nice warm fuzzy to see where else my efforts are being put to good use. :)

--Chris M.

Remove ads