+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    The Guvnor
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Blog Entries
    13th AgeSupermanCircvs MaximvsENniesPathfinderZEITGEISTDoctor Who

Ignore Morrus

WotC's D&D Virtual Table Cancelled

WotC has just sent out the following "DDI Broadcast", informing users of the impending cancellation of the D&D Virtual Table, which will cease operation on July 30th 2012. This comes from Wotc_Josh from the group D&D Insider Beta, and closely follows Paizo's own announcement about their new VTT, "Paizo Game Space".

"I wanted to inform you all about an important decision that Wizards has made regarding the D&D Virtual Table and Virtual Table Beta. While we appreciate the enthusiasm and participation in the Beta phase, we were unable to generate enough support for the tool to launch a full version to the public. Effective July 30, 2012 the D&D Virtual Table Beta will be coming to an end and the VT will be closed.

Over the next three weeks, we encourage you to wrap up your existing campaigns and make sure to gather contact information from your online group members so that you can stay in touch if you like. We realize that because all data generated in the tool is in a proprietary format usable only by the Virtual Table, it is not possible to export your campaigns for use in another tool. You can, however, take screenshots of any notes, maps or adventures that you would like to hang on to or use in your home games.

We would like to thank everyone who participated in the VT Beta and look forward to continuing to support D&D game play through our D&D Insider digital tools and D&D Next."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails avatar.jpg  
    Last edited by Morrus; Tuesday, 10th July, 2012 at 03:17 AM.

Guide (Lvl 11)

Blog Entries

Ignore fanboy2000

Well, that's it for the VT

I just got this email from WotC:

Quote Originally Posted by Wizards
    I wanted to inform you all about an important decision that Wizards has made regarding the D&D Virtual Table and Virtual Table Beta. While we appreciate the enthusiasm and participation in the Beta phase, we were unable to generate enough support for the tool to launch a full version to the public. Effective July 30, 2012 the D&D Virtual Table Beta will be coming to an end and the VT will be closed.
    I am very disappointed in them.
    "This must be some new use of the word 'safe' I was previously unaware of."

Novice (Lvl 1)

Ignore MadJoe

Well this happened sooner than I expected.

Just got an e-mail from wizards.

"You have a new broadcast on your site at The Wizards Community!

Wotc_Joshfrom the groupD&D Insider Beta has sent you a broadcast.
    Subject: D&D VT Community Announcement
    I wanted to inform you all about an important decision that Wizards has made regarding the D&D Virtual Table and Virtual Table Beta. While we appreciate the enthusiasm and participation in the Beta phase, we were unable to generate enough support for the tool to launch a full version to the public. Effective July 30, 2012 the D&D Virtual Table Beta will be coming to an end and the VT will be closed.

Over the next three weeks, we encourage you to wrap up your existing campaigns and make sure to gather contact information from your online group members so that you can stay in touch if you like. We realize that because all data generated in the tool is in a proprietary format usable only by the Virtual Table, it is not possible to export your campaigns for use in another tool. You can, however, take screenshots of any notes, maps or adventures that you would like to hang on to or use in your home games.

We would like to thank everyone who participated in the VT Beta and look forward to continuing to support D&D game play through our D&D Insider digital tools and D&D Next."

Sad to see this go.
    Last edited by MadJoe; Tuesday, 10th July, 2012 at 02:23 AM.

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

Ignore techno
    It is ironic that this announcement occurs around the same time as Paizo announcing new tools that support online play. Yet another broken DDI-related promise. Sad.
    Last edited by techno; Tuesday, 10th July, 2012 at 03:40 AM.

Novice (Lvl 1)

Ignore MadJoe
    I'm sure Paizo's free play on their VTT didn't help WotC to "generate enough support"

Slumbering in Tsar
    Lama (Lvl 13)

I Defended The Walls!

Ignore DaveMage
    Wow!

5 years after it was demonstrated as a major part of D&D insider, they pull the plug.

What a colossal, embarrassing failure.
    Only you can prevent forest fires. That's right - you!

Lama (Lvl 13)

Blog Entries

Ignore Pour
    Admittedly, I wasn't going to use the VTT having become fairly adept at Maptool, but sad to hear it's going. I guess they don't need a robust VTT for 'theatre of the mind'. I'll be MUCH more upset if they announce the end of the online tools, which were supposed to blend seamlessly with the VTT.

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Ignore amerigoV
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMage View Post
    Wow!

5 years after it was demonstrated as a major part of D&D insider, they pull the plug.

What a colossal, embarrassing failure.
    You sound as this was unexpected. I'm shocked it got to Beta.

Defender (Lvl 8)

GM's DayKobold PressGoodman GamesKickstarterENniesGygax Memorial FundColumnist

Ignore Neuroglyph
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
    WotC has just sent out the following "DDI Broadcast", informing users of the impending cancellation of the D&D Virtual Table, which will cease operation on July 30th 2012. This comes from Wotc_Josh from the group D&D Insider Beta.

"I wanted to inform you all about an important decision that Wizards has made regarding the D&D Virtual Table and Virtual Table Beta. While we appreciate the enthusiasm and participation in the Beta phase, we were unable to generate enough support for the tool to launch a full version to the public. Effective July 30, 2012 the D&D Virtual Table Beta will be coming to an end and the VT will be closed.
    I'm sorry, but I guess I'm confused. Wasn't VTT something promised to be a part of everyone's DDI accounts - something that WotC said would be available for all 4E DDI users? So all of us who have been paying for DDI all this time, waiting for VTT, were really just buying a Character Builder and a Monster generator? Nice burn WotC... nice burn.
    Life is the game that must be played. ~Edwin Arlington Robinson
    ...but who the heck is DM'ing?

For additional 4E Reviews, News, and More, check out:

Follow Neuroglyph Games on Twitter: @neuroglyph

Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

Blog Entries

Ignore Stormonu
    Quote Originally Posted by MadJoe View Post

What data does the VTT store? Especially that couldn't be exported as some sort of text file?

I'm greatly disappointed that this didn't survive to become a release candidate. Seems like it could have had a lot of use in the coming 5E.
    "If it has stats, we can kill it." - T.G. Jackson, intro to 3rd ed Hackmaster

Homebrew 4E material | My campaign world - Amberos

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast