DDAL D&D Adventurers League Service Rewards

The League incentivizes participation through a rewards system that acknowledges and compensates the contributions of its members in various capacities beyond being a player.

The Dungeons & Dragons Adventurers League offers a structured framework for players and Dungeon Masters to engage in storytelling and adventuring in the Forgotten Realms, Eberron, Ravenloft, Spelljammer, Planescape, and Dragonlance. The League incentivizes participation through a rewards system that compensates its members beyond immersive play.

Deck of Many Things Service Awards.jpg

Categories of Service​

Rewards are granted for a range of services that contribute to the enriching experience of the D&D Adventurers League. These services include but are not limited to:
  • Dungeon Mastering: Facilitating game sessions as a DM, with preparation time also recognized.
  • Safety Tools: Implementing safety tools during game sessions to ensure a respectful and comfortable environment for all participants.
  • Inclusivity: Engaging new players in sessions to expand the community and its diversity.
  • Mentorship: Guiding new Dungeon Masters in their role to foster growth and confidence.
  • Content Review: Providing reviews for adventures published on DMs Guild, enhancing the quality and variety of available content.
  • Event Organization and Staffing: Planning and managing events, including coordinating multiple play tables and assisting in organizational duties.
  • Educational Initiatives: Conducting learn-to-play events to introduce and teach the basics of D&D to newcomers.
  • Community Standards: Contributing to the development of event codes of conduct to maintain a positive and inclusive environment.
  • Digital Engagement: Participation in or production of streamed games, offering a platform for visibility and community interaction.

Rewards​

Participants can tally their service hours and choose rewards based on the rarity of the items, with each tier requiring a specific number of service hours with rewards now including rewards from The Book of Many Things:
  • Common or Uncommon Magic Items: Cost 5 service hours each
  • Rare Items: Cost 10 service hours each.
  • Very Rare Items: Cost 20 service hours each.
  • Repeatable Reward: Costs 40 service hours each.
  • Legendary Items: Cost 80 service hours each.
All of the above items are from approved lists. Whenever you earn a reward, you may also advance one of your characters one level. Additionally, participants have the option to gain the same rewards as if they were a player in a game they dungeon mastered, applicable up to five times, with certain restrictions on stacking hours from other activities.

Reward Accumulation and Assignment​

The system allows for the stacking of rewards when multiple qualifying services are performed concurrently, maximizing the benefits for active contributors. Each reward must be assigned to a specific character, with limitations on the re-earning of magic item rewards within the same reporting period to ensure fairness and distribution of benefits.

Participants are required to maintain accurate logs of their service hours and activities, selecting and assigning rewards in accordance with the guidelines set forth. This self-reporting mechanism underscores the importance of integrity within the Adventurers League community.

The rewards system not only incentivizes a broader spectrum of contributions, enhancing the gaming experience for store or convention organizers, staff, and Dungeon Masters, but also encourages active participation in multiple aspects of the D&D Adventurers League community, offering a variety of incentives to foster a more engaged environment.

Reporting Period and Deadlines​

Rewards must be earned and recorded by a specified deadline, with the current period ending on May 31, 2024. Participants are encouraged to select and assign their rewards timely, preparing for the subsequent reporting period to maintain eligibility for continuous recognition of their contributions.

The D&D Adventurers League's rewards system celebrates and compensates the diverse contributions of its community members, fostering a supportive, inclusive, and engaging environment. Through recognizing the efforts of those who go beyond participation, the League continues to thrive and expand, offering experiences to both new and veteran GMs and organizers.

The D&D Adventurers League Service Awards Season 50th Anniversary v1 pdf can be downloaded from the D&D Discord Server in the D&D Adventurers League section.

Oofta

Legend
You just don't get it and that is fine those who do understand, many of us like a good home cooked meal and then others prefer fast food like this.
I prefer my home game. But I enjoy public games as well for different reasons. Just like I rarely eat out, but every once in a while I get a craving for Culver's cheeseburger and a chocolate shake.

I don't see the point of going on a thread discussing AL issues just to tell people they have poor judgment or making a poor choice if they participate in AL.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
The D&D Adventurers League attracts Dungeon Masters who love running games, especially when they can introduce the game to new people or DM some of the special events (multitable!) that you can very, very rarely do elsewhere.

However, it - like all forms of D&D - lacks DMs. The DM rewards aren't aimed at the lifetime DMs, but rather at players who are inclined to step up and run games. It gives them player rewards for doing so, rewards they can apply to their D&D Adventurer League characters when they return to being a player.

Including some rewards that they'd get rarely from just playing.

Especially in groups without a permanent DM, it encourages people to take turns DMing, and know that they've gained a benefit for their service.

Cheers,
Merric

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
You just don't get it and that is fine those who do understand, many of us like a good home cooked meal and then others prefer fast food like this.

Mod note:
So you don't like that kind of play? Fine. Don't engage in it. Even say you aren't keen on it. That's okay too.

But, insulting folks who like things you don't isn't acceptable. If you aren't up for treating people with rather more respect than this, please refrain from posting until you are.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I haven't been DMing lately for AL, but when I was I still played on a fairly regular basis. Things like this wouldn't be my primary motivation but it would be nice.
I agree. My primary motivation for DMing AL at Gamehole Con is to help the con be successful (and get my badge fee refunded). These perks are just a nice (and appropriate) ‘thank you’ from the AL program.
I remember when organized play would reward DMs with real life swag. It was a huge incentive to volunteer on a regular basis rather than occasionally.
Gamehole Con has been pretty generous with real swag for AL DMs. I’ve gotten at least 3-4 books out of it.

AL is a good substitute. Not everyone is fortunate enough to play in a game run by an Enworlder.

Unless your suggesting Enworld replaces AL as the main game running organization??

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Interesting. Does this actually encourage people to participate?
Doubtful, but maybe it convinces some to ask about GM'ing.
Do DM's and organizers feel this is valuable?
Doubtful again. There used to be some similar things for AL GMs in the past & IME I don't think that I ever even heard of another regular AL GM at the shop (probably 5-10 of us total) ever making use of it because the games we joined as players tended to be closed non-AL things that may or may not be using the HC adventures. It was also kinda weird because nobody had time or care to check logsheets after allowing or blocking a particular PC based on the character sheet itself.

At worst it appeals to the player who doesn't want to be the gm but wants a doodad & does little either way for GMs who regularly run AL tables at a FLGS or something.
Been a long time since I did organized play (DM for 4E Encounters), but fantasy items for characters that I never played would not of had any value to me. At least for me, when I participated it was as a DM and my motivation was for the social aspects and helping others have a chance to play (running 10-12 players per DM). In character rewards would have no value to me.

However, it - like all forms of D&D - lacks DMs. The DM rewards aren't aimed at the lifetime DMs, but rather at players who are inclined to step up and run games. It gives them player rewards for doing so, rewards they can apply to their D&D Adventurer League characters when they return to being a player.

Including some rewards that they'd get rarely from just playing.

Especially in groups without a permanent DM, it encourages people to take turns DMing, and know that they've gained a benefit for their service.
This is good to know, and I think it's accurate (heck, maybe you are the AL coordinator so you KNOW its accurate!). And I think encouraging players to step and be part time DMs is a great thing. I wish more players would take a turn at DM'ing, or even running a few one-shots or interludes.

But wouldn't it also make sense to encourage the lifetime DMs to step up and run AL games? I'm probably in the potential market. I've run AL games before (and other organized stuff before), and I love brining new people into the hobby.

But honestly, it's just takes too much time. A year or two ago I did some AL stuff for some con. Registering and understanding the website was annoying. Then since it was a virtual con and I was using FG, I had to convert the modules myself. Then I had to contact all the players like 6 times (per the outlined rules at the time). It just wasn't very organized or convenient. I would not have minded doing all the conversations etc, but we had such little time to do these things and there was no communication on sharing the work etc, that I haven't bothered to go back.

I get it, the organizers are overworked and probably under-rewarded too. But these types of benefits are probably not going to bring people like me or people to help with the administration, because in character rewards aren't going to help.

Things that might help and would be appreciated; an AL die or part of a die set (if you run in person), a few dollars credit on the DMs Guild, free (converted) copies of the AL adventures (having to buy your own copy of the adventure to run it? Is that still a thing or did they finally stop that BS?).

Remove ads

Remove ads