D&D Adventurers League Welcomes Two Huge Announcements

Two BIG announcements have SHAKEN up the AL community and brought a new GROUND SHAKING adventure.

In the world of Dungeons & Dragons, the D&D Adventurers League (AL) organized play campaigns have always been a popular and exciting way for players to participate in D&D. Recently, two BIG announcements have SHAKEN up the AL community and brought a new GROUND SHAKING adventure.
457105fe27d033cb18084202d5e0b0e1_600_KR.png

Bigby Presents: Glory of Giants Legal for D&D Adventurers League​

As of August 1, 2023, the sourcebook "Bigby Presents: Glory of Giants" has been approved as a legal source for all D&D Adventurers League campaigns. This means players can now incorporate content from this sourcebook into their AL characters. For those unfamiliar with the book, "Bigby Presents: Glory of Giants" is a tome of character options and lore on fantastical giants that add depth and richness to any Dungeons & Dragons campaign. This new book was released at GenCon in physical form and available in Early Access with pre-order from D&D Beyond. With this legal approval, the possibilities for character growth and world-building in AL games have expanded in a big way.

Giants of the Star Forge Adventure Added to AL Play​

Accompanying the approval of "Bigby Presents: Glory of Giants" is the addition of the thrilling adventure "Giants of the Star Forge" to the D&D Adventurers League. This adventure, which can be accessed on D&D Beyond, introduces players to a grandiose journey among the stars and challenges them to confront powerful giants in their celestial abode. However, there are some specific guidelines to follow for participating in this adventure:
  • 16th-Level Characters Only: To undertake the "Giants of the Star Forge" adventure, players must use a legal 16th-level AL character from the Forgotten Realms or Eberron campaigns. This requirement is set by the adventure itself.
  • Character Restrictions: Characters from the Forgotten Realms and Eberron campaigns are allowed to participate in the same game, but they are not allowed to trade items with each other. Additionally, if players opt to use one of the pre-generated characters, they may apply the rewards to a Tier 3 character from either the Forgotten Realms or Eberron campaigns.
  • Rewards and Theldin's Favor: As a reward for participating in this adventure, AL characters will receive 10,000 gp. Characters winning one of the contests in the adventure will also gain an extra one of that consumable item, in addition to the one received by the whole party. Moreover, the rare armor or weapon chosen through "Theldin’s Favor" must be from a legal AL source and should be relevant to the character's campaign.
  • AL Guidance: All relevant AL guidance relating to the legality of items applies to this adventure. Players are encouraged to review the Player's Guide and FAQs to ensure they are compliant with the rules.
With these clarifications, AL players can confidently embark on Giants of the Star Forge, ready to challenge and conquer the giants that await them.

Ferrousbones

Artificer
I'm pretty sure that those wondering about the provenance of this post can read.
Yes, but I didn't know if the user info displayed for them. On at least 1 device I have used to look at these forums, user info doesn't display, so I considered that it might not be displaying for others.

So, not an assumption that others cannot read, instead a consideration that the text maybe wasn't available to be read.

For the record, I don't think it is a big deal that it has a press release vibe. I just thought it was funny.
That particular vibe  does tend to lead me to look askance though, and think more about the implied bias.
I don't think it's a huge deal either. Reading it though gives me a sense of smarminess and/or ulterior motive that I find mildly off-putting, even if the intent behind the writing's tone is not malicious e.g. maybe the writer, through lack of experience, thinks that this is the manner in which this type of message should be conveyed.

In other words, when you're writing publicly, you're writing to engender an effect. When you're doing so, the onus is on you to be on top of how your words will be received. Of course, there are always outliers who will read meaning into a message that is well beneath the radar of the average person. That's always going to happen, and you can't cater to everyone. This one, although extremely mild, is within the range of your average person being a bit put off in my opinion. But maybe I'm an outlier here, and am seeing this through an outlier's distorted lens.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Good grief. Umm, boys and girls, it's a JOKE. Y'know, giants - big, ground shaking. Holy crap you folks would kick at a football game.

Sheesh. No wonder no one wants to talk to fans.
In what way is this portrayed as a joke? The article certainly seems to be taking itself seriously.

Remathilis

Legend
That particular vibe  does tend to lead me to look askance though, and think more about the implied bias.

Here, I'll rewrite it for you.

In the game that calls itself Dungeons & Dragons, the D&D Adventurers League (AL) organized play campaigns have always been a way for players who lack a regular group to participate in D&D. Recently, two announcements were made to the AL community.

Bigby Presents: Glory of Giants Legal for D&D Adventurers League​

As of August 1, 2023, the AI-art infused sourcebook "Bigby Presents: Glory of Giants" has been approved as a legal source for all D&D Adventurers League campaigns. This means players can now incorporate content from this sourcebook into their AL characters. For those unfamiliar with the book, "Bigby Presents: Glory of Giants" is a tome of character options and lore on giants that continues to abandon established lore and focus on branding and milking the player base. This new book was released at GenCon in physical form and available in Early Access with pre-order from D&D Beyond. With this legal approval, the possibilities for character power creep and world-building in AL games have expanded.

Giants of the Star Forge Adventure Added to AL Play​

Accompanying the approval of "Bigby Presents: Glory of Giants" is the addition of the digital only adventure "Giants of the Star Forge" to the D&D Adventurers League. This adventure, which can be accessed on D&D Beyond, introduces players to a journey among the stars and challenges them to confront powerful giants in their celestial abode. However, there are some specific guidelines to follow for participating in this adventure:
  • 16th-Level Characters Only: To undertake the "Giants of the Star Forge" adventure, players must use a legal 16th-level AL character from the Forgotten Realms or Eberron campaigns. This requirement is set by the adventure itself.
  • Character Restrictions: Characters from the Forgotten Realms and Eberron campaigns are allowed to participate in the same game, but they are not allowed to trade items with each other. Additionally, if players opt to use one of the pre-generated characters, they may apply the rewards to a Tier 3 character from either the Forgotten Realms or Eberron campaigns.
  • Rewards and Theldin's Favor: As a reward for participating in this adventure, AL characters will receive 10,000 gp. Characters winning one of the contests in the adventure will also gain an extra one of that consumable item, in addition to the one received by the whole party. Moreover, the rare armor or weapon chosen through "Theldin’s Favor" must be from a legal AL source and should be relevant to the character's campaign.
  • AL Guidance: All relevant AL guidance relating to the legality of items applies to this adventure. Players are encouraged to review the Player's Guide and FAQs to ensure they are compliant with the rules.
With these clarifications, AL players can confidently embark on Giants of the Star Forge, ready to challenge and conquer the giants that await them.

Good grief. Umm, boys and girls, it's a JOKE. Y'know, giants - big, ground shaking. Holy crap you folks would kick at a football game.

Sheesh. No wonder no one wants to talk to fans.
I, and others, went out of our ways to express that this wasn't a big deal. For you to respond in a way that implies folks are making a massive issue about this... not sure what reaction you're going for here. Maybe ease off the throttle a little bit...

Remove ads

Remove ads