Leif's "Revenge of the Giants" [4E] [IC 01]

drothgery

First Post
"I thought someone at the temple would probably know where I might be able to find some ritual books, if they existed -- either for sale or in the hands of somoene who would let me copy them -- in this town. I ran into a problem that might be solveable with a detect secret doors ritual; it's a fairly common ritual, but I've usually had the privlidge of the company of someone skilled in spotting such things without magic so I never bought a book of it for myself." She explained.

Leif

Adventurer
[Sariel in the temple] [Heise is still also up anytime]

"We just might have that one for sale," the priest says as he consults a large tome. "Yes, we have that one!"
OOC: Book price applies, but I'm not sure what that is, offhand.

Last edited:

drothgery

First Post
OOC: Detect Secret Doors
With a smile and a wink, you show Soveliss the outline of the trapdoor he missed.

Component Cost: 25 gp
Market Price: 125 gp
Key Skill: Arcana Level: 3
Category: Exploration
Time: 10 minutes
Duration: Instant

Make an Arcana check. Use the result as a bonus to a Perception check you immediately make to find any secret or hidden doors in your line of sight. If anyone aided you while performing this ritual, they can’t help you make the resulting Perception check.

Published in Player's Handbook, page(s) 303.
"That's lucky." She says. After examining the text, Sariel hands over a platinum piece and twenty-five gold for the list price for the ritual, then copies it into her book.
"I don't suppose you know any stories about a mysterious lion-man visiting here some time ago?" She asks out of curiousity.

hafrogman

Adventurer
Heise blushes a little at the Vizier's response, he probably should have known that.

"Ah, alas no. There's an old trick where you pace out the size of a room, and compare it to the next to see if there's a hidden space between two walls . . . but of course, here that doesn't help. I suppose I shall just await the return of the others . . . or inspiration."

He pauses to consider the matter.

Insight

Adventurer
Durn stares at the priest as he yammers on. The dwarf has little patience for this sort of investigation. He finds a good place in the corner and waits it out.

Leif

Adventurer
[Sariel in the temple]

"That's lucky." She says. After examining the text, Sariel hands over a platinum piece and twenty-five gold for the list price for the ritual, then copies it into her book.
"I don't suppose you know any stories about a mysterious lion-man visiting here some time ago?" She asks out of curiousity.
The priest 'yammers', "Well, there was that old legend about a lion-man, or a Torrian as they are properly known, coming here from his City of Argent a long, long time ago. Seems that all the kingdoms in the land were sending champions to Argent, each to help guard the city for a time, to take up the Silver Cloaks and defend the city for a time, as required by the Guardian of Argent. The Torrians, you see, were the seneschals and majors domo to the Champions."

Last edited:

drothgery

First Post
The priest 'yammers', "Well, there was that old legend about a lion-man, or a Torrian as they are properly known, coming here from his City of Argent a long, long time ago. Seems that all the kingdoms in the land were sending champions to Argent, each to help guard the city for a time, to take up the Silver Cloaks and defend the city for a time, as required by the Guardian of Argent. The Torrians, you see, were the seneschals and majors domo to the Champions."
"That would seem to imply a serious threat to the city, and something there that made defending it critical. I can't imagine many rulers who would give up the service of their champion purely out of altruism." She said.

Leif

Adventurer
[Sariel in the temple]

"That would seem to imply a serious threat to the city, and something there that made defending it critical. I can't imagine many rulers who would give up the service of their champion purely out of altruism." She said.
"In its heyday, kingdoms all across the land sent Champions to stand a watch in Argent, as the Guardian of Argent required. Some were chosen through trials or tournaments, but others came voluntarily. Their mission there was to protect the natural world from threats emerging from the borderlands between civilization and the unknown. So you see, the rulers were not giving up their Champions, exactly, because their duties in Argent protected their homes as well as the rest of the world. The proof that the efforts of Bael Turath, Vardar, Arkhosia, and others were not in vain is made plain by the long period of peace and tranquility that marked the height of the Nerath Empire. But as the peace grew longer and longer, the time between the selection of Champions grew longer than the initial ten years -- fifteen, twenty-five, fifty years, and then new Champions stopped arriving altogether. Did the Peace of Nerath lead directly to Argent's downfall? Who can say? But it certainly seems to have contributed to a lack of Champions to stand guard at the Top of the World."

drothgery

First Post
"I don't suppose you'd like to come back to the Lord Warden's manor with us?" Sariel asked. "You seem to know more than a little about Argent and the Torrians, and that is somewhat relevant to our task."

Leif

Adventurer
[Sariel in the temple]

"That's really almost all that I know about Argent, sadly, and I'm needed here, so I'm afraid that I must decline. But if you have more questions I shall try to answer as best I can."

OOC: Not going to make it that easy for you. You guys have to figure out the rest for yourselves. :p

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases