Why have dissociated mechanics returned?

Sir Robilar

First Post
So I have been reading the latest playtest material and I’m wondering about many of the new elements included. The designers have repeatedly stated that one of their important goals is that every rules mechanic in D&D Next has a direct connection to something in the game world. I’m completely in favor of this because I have experienced the awkward situation as a DM that I couldn’t adequately explain to my players what a certain rules element represented in the world. For example, in one game session an opponent of theirs was using a special action to give a bonus to allied creatures. However, there was no clear description of what this actually meant, how it looked, and it only seemed to have some sort of meta-connection to what was happening, as in „he sure is inspiring to the others“.

Here are some examples of what I mean from the current playtest material. I’m sorry If this comes over as a rant at times. I have to say that I was fairly happy with where the game was going before, but this topic really bugs me... To decrease the severity of the rant I will try to include ideas of what kinds of alternative rules I would prefer. I'd be really interested in your opinion on these thoughts.

From the Bestiary:

„Mob tactics“. In the description it says that the creature chooses an opponent. Other allies that also have this trait gain a bonus to their attack and damage against the chosen opponent. However, there is no explanation of what is happening and I’m struggling to find an answer. I guess what it means is that the creature isn’t actually choosing anyone, but is itself attacking the target creature, and the bonus it’s allies get represents this. If it is meant like that I don’t like it at all. In my book, when a creature is attacking another creature, it should make an attack roll. Seems to me that this rule was included to reduce the number of dice rolls when many creatures of one kind attack a single foe. If this is the case, I would very much favour seperate stat blocks for single creatures and for swarms of smaller variants of the same creature type.

There are several traits that function just like this. The gnoll is „Savage“, but only when it can see two other creatures with the Savage trait within 30 feet. Why? Why is the gnoll incapable of attacking with all his savagery, when he fights alone and is up against a helpless victim? Is he somehow restrained in his rage when he is alone?

The Hobgoblin has a „Disciplined“ action. It chooses a foe within it’s reach, and the next attack against this foe from his ally has advantage. But what is the Hobgoblin doing? And why is it best explained with the word „Disciplined“? A much better way of explaining things like these can be seen in the Guardian Specialty, where it says that you throw your shield between a creature and the ally that it tries to attack, giving the creature disadvantage.
Continuing with the Hobgoblin, it has the „Steadfast“ trait, meaning it cannot be frightened while an ally is within 30 feet. Why not? This may make sense when the Hobgoblins encounter the Player Characters, but does it make sense when two Hobgoblins encounter Cthulhu?

The same with other traits and actions like „Commander“, „Protector“ and the minotaurs „Armor Pearcing 4“ where the minotaur’s foe takes damage even though he wasn’t hit from the attack (something which I personally can’t stand).

Summing up, what I see a lot in this iteration of the playtest is monster design where slapping a description like „Disciplined“ or „Savage“ onto a rules mechanic is ok and enough to explain what is happening in the world. I find this a problematic design approach and dearly hope they will reconsider. I’m also not a fan of heavy use of exception-based game design as I believe it is seldom the best way to represent a precise action that a creature is capable of.

Races:
Not much here that bugs me. The only thing I find hard to wrap my head around is the Halfling’s Nimbleness. The Halfling can move through spaces of creatures that are larger than it. I find it awkward to accept that every Halfling in the world could do this against every larger creature.
Also, the Stout Halfing’s „Fearless“, where he takes an action to end the frightened condition. What action does the Halfling take and how does it look like? I don’t like it when the rules tell us that something is an action when it isn’t really an action. And if something isn’t an action, it shouldn’t be resolved by taking an action. I’d prefer an approach where the Halfling can always take a second Save against fear effects or something like that, as it wouldn’t force the player to play out how his Halfling shakes off his fear, when it’s really hard to explain how that would look like. And even harder to explain why he couldn’t have done it earlier.

Spells:
What I dislike considering associated or dissociated mechanics is the fact that you can cast some spells as Rituals and others not. This seems to be tacked on from the designer's point of view but it is hard to explain from the POV of a character that lives in the D&D world. At least I would hope for a sentence of description why this is how it is, even if it was as cheesy as „Only the secret caste of the Ritual Masters knew how to bind a spell into a ritual, but they have crossed beyond the ether aeons ago“.

I’m also having a hard time to accept that some spells can be cast in rounds where the caster also does some other action. If I was a caster I would ask myself why I can't cast my other spells and also do something else during the casting. I could live with it if there was some basic mechanic at the base of things, such as „all cantrips are uncomplicated and fast, they can be cast alongside another spell or action“. Or if this quick casting could be done with all Cleric spells from the War domain. But when something like that is not present, a player could always confront his/her DM with questions such as „So you’re telling me I can cast Battle Psalm, a 2nd Level enchanment, and attack in the same round, but I can’t do the same with Radiant Lance, a Minor evocation?“

I dislike that some spells only affect creatures with a certain hit point maximum. I wish my players wouldn’t have to wonder about how many hit points the monsters have (or Hit Dice, which, although closer to how old editions of D&D did it, I wouldn’t find much of an improvement). Having to think about Hit Point breaks the player’s immersion and tells them to think about monsters from a „we’re playing a game and this is my opponent“ point of view. I would absolutely prefer it if such rules were in the hands of the DM. If, for example, there would be an optional rule like „the DM should consider giving all monsters with 3 HD or more the chance to save against enchantment effects of Spell Level 3 and below, and all monsters with 6 HD or more immunity to any enchantment effects below Spell Level 6“.

Other than that I really like most of the spells, especially toning down potential game-breakers as Suggestion.

The Fighter:

At first I really liked the new Fighter mechanic. During one oft he Gencon Panels Jeremy Crawford said that the Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG had been an inspiration for them and this mechanic speaks for that. When comparing the two distinct mechanics, however, I find that I prefer the one in DCC.

The DCC RPG’s „Mighty Deed of Arms“ mechanic allows the Fighter to do ANY combat maneuver he can think of in addition to an attack, as long as his Deed die rolls a 3 or more. The type of the deed die increases by level. And whether the Deed succeeds or not, the Fighter always gets the bonus damage from the Deed die. The Mighty Deed rules give some advice on how the maneuver should manifest, depending on the Level of the Fighter. But in the end the DM is the sole arbiter to rule over what the maneuver does. A first Level Fighter could disarm a Goblin or other small creature with it, but maybe not a creature of man-size or a larger one. But, he wouldn’t be constrained to just disarming the goblin, he could also knock him back, tumble over him, overrun it, and so on, all at first level. At 9th level the DM might rule that the Fighter could do all these things with a Titan. For players that don’t want to think about a different combat maneuver each round, the rules encourage the player to give their Fighter one iconic maneuver, that he does each round by default, if he doesn’t say differently. In practice I found that this simple stunt mechanic greatly immerses the Fighter’s player in the action and lets him think about the battle in a creative way.

This iteration of the D&D Fighter, in comparison, can only make the combat maneuvers that he has mastered by aquiring them with a feat. So at first level he could protect an ally from a goblin’s attack, but he couldn’t knock the goblin down until he reaches 5th level. I find this sad since I would prefer a mechanic that lets him do all the cool things from the beginning on, only with weaker opponents. The Next Fighter player's immersion would also be more tactical and along the lines of „is there a benefit of knocking the goblin down or should I just go for max damage?“ In practice I expect to see many players that always go for max damage. On the plus side however, the Combat Superiority mechanic is very reliable.

( As a quick afterword, I’m not a native speaker and although I can usually convey the basic message I’m trying to make, I find it hard to explain myself as precise as I would like to. Please consider this. )

Ainamacar

Adventurer
So I have been reading the latest playtest material and I’m wondering about many of the new elements included. The designers have repeatedly stated that one of their important goals is that every rules mechanic in D&D Next has a direct connection to something in the game world. I’m completely in favor of this because I have experienced the awkward situation as a DM that I couldn’t adequately explain to my players what a certain rules element represented in the world. For example, in one game session an opponent of theirs was using a special action to give a bonus to allied creatures. However, there was no clear description of what this actually meant, how it looked, and it only seemed to have some sort of meta-connection to what was happening, as in „he sure is inspiring to the others“.

I certainly hope the answer is that they want to get the best possible data on if, when, how, and why these kinds of mechanics become a problem, and even at what point the community at large tends to think of certain mechanics as "dissociated." I don't think one can do this very well without actually putting a bunch into the playtest. Without it, in fact, WotC is in no better position to take the community's temperature on this matter than they already are with the numerous threads and blogs that discuss it. Therefore, the presence of such mechanics in the playtest does not necessarily indicate WotC has abandoned the principle you appreciate. In a conscientious design process it quite possibly means exactly the opposite.

In short, seeing mechanics you dislike in the playtest is probably a very good thing, because otherwise such mechanics can't be playtested. Keep your axioms few, and your principles well scrutinized. :)

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
If half of what Sir Robilar says is accurate, 5Ed sounds annoying to me. Even if the game were mechanically sound, inclusion of those disassociated mechanics might keep me from buying the game (beyond the Core 3, at least).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
( As a quick afterword, I’m not a native speaker and although I can usually convey the basic message I’m trying to make, I find it hard to explain myself as precise as I would like to. Please consider this. )
Dude, your post was clearer than some of the emails I get from my family, and we've been in the USA since the 1840s.

1of3

Explorer
The idea of using only "associated rules" will not work. (Compare the vey important rule "There shall be a GM.")

Also the problem of association, as the creators of the term meant it, wasn't that you have to think about how something might look in the fiction. That has always been true and will always be so. The perceived problem was that certain game elements would interact with each other in "disassociated" ways, like Fighters's and Paladin's marks. Why would my cool fighting techniques be rendered inactive, when my Paladin buddy asks her employer for some divine vengeance? Why will both stop working when a Swordmage does his Aegis thing?

Such interactions, as far as I see it, are not yet part of Next.

slobo777

First Post
Associated mechanics are often more work mechacinally at the table. If they are rationale or physics-based, then very often you need to compare traits of two or more things, and bring in more rules. The 3E rogue's Sneak Attack, and how it would work depending on traits of the target, is a simple example of this.

Dissociated mechanics are often more work descriptively at the table. The descriptions are loose, and may need interpretation to maintain the fiction. Proning a gelatinous cube is a simple example of this, but for some people this kind of issue starts with martial characters having Encounter or Daily powers at all.

With dissociated mechanics it's possible, for expedient play, to lose a description or two (this reminds me of the "Shut up and calculate!" philosophy in quantum mechanics BTW). In practice I see this a lot. In a lot of ways in 4E, this is already in the 4E monster blocks. The blocks being short and simple is a big win, hence I think this is why you are seeing it in being re-used in 5E.

With associated mechanics, it's possible, for expedient play, to drop or forget a complicated rules interaction. In practice, I didn't see this happening much in 3E games, and definitely not in monster design. A 3E monster block makes cross-references to feat chains and spells which need looking up. 3E monsters are more complex and difficult to run in my experience than 4E ones.

Li Shenron

Legend
I'm going to comment only on some of your points because they are quite a lot.

Generally speaking I agree with your concerns: experienced gamers can generally find an in-game explanation for everything, but the books should help those who can't do so on their own easily.

Of course let's keep in mind that everything, especially the monsters descriptions, is largely unfinished at this stage, and that they are focusing on the mechanics more than the descriptive text. But this is not a good reason to ignore concerns.

From the Bestiary:

I generally agree on all your examples being at the moment poorly described.

There could be a splitting argument here on where to put the explanations: some gamers want everything under each monster's entry, so that they don't need to look anywhere else; I prefer to have descriptions on monsters' abilities at the beginning of the MM, so that they aren't reprinted dozens of time, so my preference would be that if "Mob", "Disciplined" etc are properties used for many monsters (very probable) then they should be described once and for all in a single place, either at the beginning or at the end of the MM.

Halfling’s Nimbleness.

It's a confusing ability because it grants the Halfling the possibility of walking through the space occupied by a large monster but it doesn't prevent OA from it, so unless you have an ability or circumstance that lets you avoid OA, you're unlikely to use this at all.

I agree that there should be a note saying that it might not work with every monster... certainly not with a Gelatinous Cube for example! :D

Stout Halfing’s „Fearless“,

I think this ability is very "gamist" in the sense that it's totally built on game mechanics with no consideration on what it actually represents. What the designers want here, is that you lose your turn's action. But I'm with you thinking that it should say why or how it happens. Maybe something as simple as "you are focusing on your inner strength to shrug off the fear effect" is enough for me.

What I dislike considering associated or dissociated mechanics is the fact that you can cast some spells as Rituals and others not.

IMHO it is still unclear what Rituals really represent. Rituals are at-will so presumably they don't "tire" the caster as much as regular spells. But they have a material cost which their regular version doesn't. In the Warlock description it is explained that rituals are actually simpler than spells, in fact the Warlock does rituals but not spells, and this matches the fact that daily spells are limited by your level, rituals are not.

OTOH the Sorcerer does spells but not rituals... but this could be because the Sorcerer doesn't really understand the nature of spells, he only casts them spontaneously, so his powers are rather give-or-take, he has no options to "break them down" to a simplified version. Or it could be said that rituals are partially "externalize" due to the fact that you provide expensive material components in place of your inner expertise. Sorcerer can't externalize spells because they have the inner power but not the understanding. Warlock cannot internalize them (cast as regular spells) because they lack any inner power. Wizards can do both, because some inner power comes anyway from intensive studies.

But this is quite a lengthy and clumsy explanation...

Anyway it might be possible (and simpler) to just allow any spell to be cast as ritual. The benefit would be that you don't need for each spell to repeat "This spell can be cast as a ritual bla bla", if the costs (time and gp) are the same for all rituals of the same level (currently they aren't, but there seems to be a standard time&cost followed by all spells).

I’m also having a hard time to accept that some spells can be cast in rounds where the caster also does some other action.

Essentially those spells should be free actions to cast, but IMHO the designers are somewhat afraid to make that so, and are instead currently specifiying for each of those spells individually what you can do in addition during the same round, but more or less it's always 2 actions for the price of one.

I dislike that some spells only affect creatures with a certain hit point maximum.

Worth its own debate, we already have a separate thread or two...

This iteration of the D&D Fighter, in comparison, can only make the combat maneuvers that he has mastered by aquiring them with a feat. So at first level he could protect an ally from a goblin’s attack, but he couldn’t knock the goblin down until he reaches 5th level.

It's not going to be like that once we have the narrative combat module. Your Fighter (and everyone else) will always have an option for takedown since level 1, only not the more convenient options using CS.

It's also possible that there will be other fighting styles granting the CS takedown at 1st level, or perhaps even that your DM can allow a DIY fighting style.

It isn't possible however (and maybe this is your real concern) to get more than one of those special actions at 1st level. This is certainly intentional, just like a Wizard get only N spells to start from, but you could have argued that another 1st level Wizard might know many more but in weaker versions. From the in-game point of view there isn't much criticism against this possibility, but at some point opening up the rules to this idea would complicate the game quite a lot. So the designers have to make a choice when it comes to how many options you have at each level, and apparently at the moment they decided that 3 for a 1st level Fighter are a good number.

Yora

Legend
Dissociated mechanics are often more work descriptively at the table. The descriptions are loose, and may need interpretation to maintain the fiction. Proning a gelatinous cube is a simple example of this, but for some people this kind of issue starts with martial characters having Encounter or Daily powers at all.
My feeling always was that mechanics are disassociated when they are laking a description of what the characters and creatures are actually doing.
The mechanics are not associated with a narrative action.

While I believe, you overstate the problem, i do believe, that dissociated mechanics should be going away.

I have no problem with ritual versions of the spells:
You can only power so much spells by your mind, carefully memorizing them after you have rested. But with some material components to burn, you can draw and release the magical energy with yourself as a funnel (or something like that).

Also disciplined seems ok:
A hobgoblin can hold back his action, and aid another, a feat which most humanoids forget about...

But I reallydo want te flavour text of mechanics to be more important that the rules. If defender says: "you bring your shield between your friend and the attack", I want the defender to use that shield (or something similar).

In 4e, and 3e already there was a trend, that it was deemed unfun, if you don´t let the players always use their best tactics. When I played ADnD, there were a lot of times, where we had to fight in such narrow corridors, that you can´t swing a greataxe, and the fighter needed to use a shorter weapon. The wizard could not cast fireballs, as he would burn himself.
It is, that from 3.5 and upwards, you played a game, where rules came first, game world second. 3e had some few remains of the old ADnD: cover was determined by the DM and had 4 or 5 differentiations. concealment was very granular andfully in the hands of the DM. in 3.5, you got your first hard rules: 20% or 50% miss chance. Nothing in between. Always obvious for the players, which to use, but not modelling the sight conditions well any longer... full moon and starlight are now the same... the exact same 20%.

So with the next iteration I really want to have flavour first. The text needs to matter, the situation should be played, the rules only providing guidelines how to resolve the situation. The DMs position needs to be enforced, which is the only way to get away with he dissociation.

Rules such as disciplined are not needed anymore: you just need to tell the DM: "hobgoblines are disciplined in battle and frequently make use of the aid another action if it seems advantageous".

Also Halflings just need the text: "Halflings are small and nimble, and usually they are able to slip past creatures that are bigger than them and can hind behind bigger people if they are not paying attention or actively trying to hide them."

Usually, all those rules should be considered as "As a rule of thumb, you may do..." but there may be exceptions. Most abilities get dissociated, because they are written as you should always be able to use them without regard for the actual in game situation."

Last edited:

1of3

Explorer
Usually, all those rules should be considered as "As a rule of thumb, you may do..." but there may be exceptions. Most abilities get dissociated, because they are written as you should always be able to use them without regard for the actual in game situation."

That's an interesting thought. But isn't that true for every part of the game? Isn't that an effect of approaching the rules instead of the rules themselves?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases