Why have dissociated mechanics returned?

Emerikol

Adventurer
Dissociated mechanics never left, so they couldn't really return.

It seems to me that Dissociated Mechanics are fundamentally "Abstractions I don't like", or if you wish a less snarky description, "Abstractions that didn't work for me".

This is my #1 point of contention with the other side. People who don't understand a concept feel the need to denigrate those who do. It's your own failing. It's not some random distribution of preferences. Amazingly we seem to agree on what is wrong. So there is an underlying connection between these mechanics. Obviously being dissociated is up to the individual. But we are talking about something defined over the past few years so it shouldn't be a mystery to you.

Dissociated mechanics are real approaches to game design. They were not "widely" prevalent in earlier editions of the game. They were in 4e. I hope they are not in 5e but it's not looking good

Shadeydm

First Post
Dissociated mechanics never left, so they couldn't really return.

It seems to me that Dissociated Mechanics are fundamentally "Abstractions I don't like", or if you wish a less snarky description, "Abstractions that didn't work for me".

I don't get why people regard the acceptance of hit points as a green light to pile on more "abstractions" as 3E did to some extent and 4E did to the point of absurdity.
Just because I can overlook faster than light travel in my sci fi isn't a green light to pile on more wonkiness keep your medichlorians to yourself sir.

Obryn

Hero
I don't get why people regard the acceptance of hit points as a green light to pile on more "abstractions" as 3E did to some extent and 4E did to the point of absurdity.
Just because I can overlook faster than light travel in my sci fi isn't a green light to pile on more wonkiness keep your medichlorians to yourself sir.
Isn't that kind of what Mustrum_Ridicully was saying?

-O

Midichlorians seem more like the opposite - trying to make the world more "sciency" then it was before. Unfortunately ruining the entire feeling.

Which may in turn be exactly what is the problem with trying to bring more process simulation - every time you are busy resolving your process simulation your busy working with the game rules, not with the game world. The process simulation of 3E grapple rules didn't lead to fluent gameplay where you'd focus on the narrative - it lead to people looking through their spell lists to see if they had anything without Material or Somatic components or the combat chapter to see what their exact grapple modifier would be, and whether the Snake would now do Constrict damage plus Claw damage or not with its succesful check.

While having a rule that says "...damage and you grab the target" you only need to know "grabbed = immobilized until you somehow get removed from the grabber" and can continue talking about what happens in the game world.

But in the end, the question is not whether a mechanic is "dissociative" or "abstract" but whether it worked for you or not, and that is not an objective measurement. We can describe why the mechanic is "dissociative" or "abstract" but that doesn't make it a bad or good mechanic per se.

his is my #1 point of contention with the other side. People who don't understand a concept feel the need to denigrate those who do. It's your own failing. It's not some random distribution of preferences. Amazingly we seem to agree on what is wrong. So there is an underlying connection between these mechanics. Obviously being dissociated is up to the individual. But we are talking about something defined over the past few years so it shouldn't be a mystery to you.

Dissociated mechanics are real approaches to game design. They were not "widely" prevalent in earlier editions of the game. They were in 4e. I hope they are not in 5e but it's not looking good
And my contention with the other side is that they refuse to see all the abstract/dissociative mechanics in all editions of D&D or any RPG, and single only those out that they don't like as something that is per se bad.

Hit Points are a terrible abstract and dissociative mechanic. It works perfectly fine for you, at least sufficiently so that you accept it, but it doesn't become less abstract or dissociative by that. It's just a rule that worked for you. It's not an objective better design then, say, encounter powers or Vancian magic, because of that. It's just a subjectively better design.

Figuring out why it works better for you may need you to accept it works better because it was in D&D from the start and you grew up accepting it and seeing the elegance in the abstraction it provided rather than all the "dissociative" flaws it introduced. Because that's exactly the reason why I like AEDU, for example - because I see the elegance in it, I see what kind of interesting play options it allows and how it enriches my game experience. I don't worry about the "dissociative" flaws it has.

That doesn't mean that you have to accept just any mechanic or abstraction in your game.
Just because you like hit points doesn't mean you have to like AEDU. YOu can fairly evaluate, but you can't not really be objective - you play it, you use it, and if it doesn't work fo ryou, it doesn't work for you. But that doesn't mean it's a bad mechanic or terrible design. You have to value advantages and drawbacks based on your preferences.

This isn't like, say, a car engine design where you have to decide between two engines with identical qualities except one needs 20 % less fuel. It's about deciding between an SUV or a sports car or a limousine or a compact car. None of these are bad designs, but some are suited to your needs and some are not.

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
I don't see this. I'm not sure how it even bears upon the issue. Could you give me a specific example where the mechanic is dissociative and not and why the not helps?

I do agree that the narrativist playstyle favors dissociative mechanics generally.
Consider the Deathlock Wight's Horrific Visage power:

Horrific Visage (standard action; recharge 4, 5 6 ) * [Fear]
Close blast 5; +7 vs. Will; 1d6 damage, and the target is pushed 3 squares.​

I assume that this power counts as dissociated for you, because it recharges on a metagame basis, it uses the blast mechanic to model facing (ie only those on one side of the Wight can see its horriric visage), it uses an attack vs Will that deals psychic damage to model someone being frightened by a glimpse of the Wight's true undead form, and it uses forced movement (the push) to model fleeing in fear.

But for me, this is the single most evocative Wight I've ever used in nearly 30 years of fantasy RPGing. That power, when resolved at the table, perfectly captures the trope of the undead revealing its true, decaying form (like the Barrow Wights in Tolkien) and sending the heroes recoiling in horror.

Here is another power, which the Alexandrian himself puts forward as a paradigm of dissociation:

Besieged Foe (minor action; at-will)
Ranged sight; automatic hit; the target is marked, and allies of the war devil gain a +2 bonus to attack rolls made against the target until the encounter ends or the war devil marks a new target.​

Whereas I have used a Deathlock Wight, I have yet to use a War Devil. But this power strikes me as excellent for doing exactly what it says in it name: bringing it about that the target is besieged. Because it gives the GM a very concrete reason to have every ally of the war devil stack on the target (to get the benefit of the +2 to hit). It's the converse of the paladin power Valiant Strike, which grants +1 to hit for every adjacent foe, therefore giving the player a reason to play his/her paladin as Valiant (ie as charging into the fray, to get the maximum benefit to hit by being surrounded by the maximum number of foes).

[MENTION=87792]Neonchameleon[/MENTION] can of course correct me if I've misunderstood what was intended, but the above powers are example, for me, of so-called "dissociated" mechanics making monsters feel more like their mythical archtypes, and thereby reinforcing theme and hence suppporting narrative play.

The player becomes immersed in the game-world, seeing it from the perspective of his own character. The rules, the dice, the character sheet, the room the player is in, vanish, or, at least, recede, and the fantasy world becomes in a sense the primary reality.

Immersion is associated with simulationism, verisimilitude, and suspension of disbelief.
I think of immersion differenty - maybe idiosyncratically. I think of it as emotional investment in the ingame situation, and in one's PC. Getting angry when the PC is angry; crying when the PC is sad; feeling love or conviction that the PC feels.

The receding of the character sheet and preeminence of the fantasy world are tangential to this. It's about emotion, not perception or cognition.

Yes. That was kind of my point, above.
Yes, I didn't mean to give any impression that I'd missed your point. I was just adding my own comments on that somewhat curious post.

People who don't understand a concept feel the need to denigrate those who do. It's your own failing. It's not some random distribution of preferences. Amazingly we seem to agree on what is wrong. So there is an underlying connection between these mechanics.
No one is arguing that the preferences are randomly distributed. They are disputing your explanation for the distribution. In particular, they are suggesting that you are disregarding familiarity as an explanation for your acceptance of hit points.

I want to add to that candidate explanation: there were a very large number of RPGers in the late 70s through the 80s who abandoned D&D because they found hit points "dissociative" (to speak anachronistically). The people who stuck with AD&D 2nd ed, and then 3E, were those who could handle hit points. Now some of those people don't like martial encounter and daily powers.

There is no reason to think that 4e mechaniics possess some non-relational property that you and the Alexandrian can perceive, but that others of us keep missing no matter how hard we look.

I imagine it's true that many Americans associate pumpkin pie with a certain homely, holiday feeling. But don't have the same association with (say) mince pies or hot cross buns or fruit puddings. That doesn't provie that pumpkin pie has any interesting objective difference from traditional British (and therefore Australian) festive foods, though. It just shows that some people are familiar with one rather than the other.

And, in the even that that culinary analogy fails (maybe Americans do tend to eat hot cross buns at Easter and mince pies and fruit puddings at Christmas), here is another one: were I overseas, Tim Tams and Vegemite would give me a certain nostalgic feeling. And that response would be non-randomly shared with a large number of other Australians. But that doesn't prove that Tim Tams and Vegemite have any inherent property that distinguishes them from (say) Oreos and Peanut Butter, neither of which would produce the same response in me or my compatriots.

Last edited:

tomBitonti

Adventurer

If you mixed that with blindness (probably need to dip into 3E for true blindness), or with a necromancer's skeleton (mindless), or if a player puts on a blindfold deliberately to (try to) avoid the effect, what happens? (Perhaps 4E has creatures with immunity to fear because of their nature, so the skeleton example may or may not work.)

Probably, blindness won't work, since the "Visage" implication of a visual effect is not correct. Maybe there is a sound effect, too, but that doesn't matter either. The practical details of effect make it most similar to a purely psychic effect such as an Illithid mind blast. But then, why doesn't the power have [Fear, Psychic]? Does the power work entirely through the senses, partly through the senses and partly on the psychic level, or entirely on the psychic level?

TomB

triqui

Adventurer
It's a small headscratcher, yes, but only a small one. You (the player) are indeed reacting to what the other characters have spent their 6 seconds doing, but your character has been acting (not necessarily reacting) during those same 6 seconds.

Yes. You (the player) are reacting, but 'somehow' your character is acting at the same time they are. It's a little counterintuitive, but c'mon...it's not that incomprehensible.

It's a big gorilla riding an orange donkey playing the banjo right in the middle of the room. It's just that we are used to it, and we understand it is unavoidable without real time computing or extremely complex rules, so we ignore it, and be perfectly happy with it, while other gorillas we are unable to ignore, because they are new, we aren't used to it, or we feel the game could be modeled without them. Not because they are bigger.

To put an example: if the NBA would use D&D (or most RPG, for that matter) rules, every single player would made a lay up every single time, as the defenders can´t move and keep with the attackers. It's my turn, I move past you and wave my hand saying you farewell. and you don't have a chance to move and block me until it is your turn.

Example: We are fighting. I have a bow. You are spending your 6 seconds trying to melee me. I make a 5' step. As a free action, I say "I'm going to screw you from here during six seconds, you dumb ass. I couldn´t, if you could follow me and keep in melee range. I dare you to do so, stupid". Then I proceed to full round you with half a dozen arrows, thanks to high attack bonus, rapid shot, and full round. Of course, I can´t shoot 6 arrows in a split of a second. I need the full 6 seconds to shoot my 6 arrows. And, in fact, I *do* spend my six seconds to make my six shots. THEN, and only THEN, when I'm finished with my 6'' of arrow shooting, IF you are still alive, you can move 5' and get into range again. Until then, you are freezed

triqui

Adventurer
This is my [URL=http://www.enworld.org/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 [/URL] point of contention with the other side. People who don't understand a concept feel the need to denigrate those who do. It's your own failing.

You mean like those who don't understand martial dailies association with fatigue? Or those who don't understand hit points association with health? Or those who don't understand "rounds" and "initiative" and "full round actions" association with a fluid combat? Because I see people doing any of them. Some raise the dissocaitve bar higher than others, and thus some preffer this, or that, game mechanic, and claim that it is not dissociatied, while the others are.

Obryn

Hero
If you mixed that with blindness (probably need to dip into 3E for true blindness), or with a necromancer's skeleton (mindless), or if a player puts on a blindfold deliberately to (try to) avoid the effect, what happens? (Perhaps 4E has creatures with immunity to fear because of their nature, so the skeleton example may or may not work.)

Probably, blindness won't work, since the "Visage" implication of a visual effect is not correct. Maybe there is a sound effect, too, but that doesn't matter either. The practical details of effect make it most similar to a purely psychic effect such as an Illithid mind blast. But then, why doesn't the power have [Fear, Psychic]? Does the power work entirely through the senses, partly through the senses and partly on the psychic level, or entirely on the psychic level?

TomB
If it has the "gaze" keyword, being blind indeed blocks it. This doesn't.

Horrific Visage does, indeed, have the psychic keyword, in addition to dealing psychic damage; it was probably left off pemerton's post just for space consideration.

-O

I assume that this power counts as dissociated for you, because it recharges on a metagame basis, it uses the blast mechanic to model facing (ie only those on one side of the Wight can see its horriric visage), it uses an attack vs Will that deals psychic damage to model someone being frightened by a glimpse of the Wight's true undead form, and it uses forced movement (the push) to model fleeing in fear.

But for me, this is the single most evocative Wight I've ever used in nearly 30 years of fantasy RPGing. That power, when resolved at the table, perfectly captures the trope of the undead revealing its true, decaying form (like the Barrow Wights in Tolkien) and sending the heroes recoiling in horror.

Here is another power, which the Alexandrian himself puts forward as a paradigm of dissociation:
Besieged Foe (minor action; at-will)
Ranged sight; automatic hit; the target is marked, and allies of the war devil gain a +2 bonus to attack rolls made against the target until the encounter ends or the war devil marks a new target.​
Whereas I have used a Deathlock Wight, I have yet to use a War Devil. But this power strikes me as excellent for doing exactly what it says in it name: bringing it about that the target is besieged. Because it gives the GM a very concrete reason to have every ally of the war devil stack on the target (to get the benefit of the +2 to hit). It's the converse of the paladin power Valiant Strike, which grants +1 to hit for every adjacent foe, therefore giving the player a reason to play his/her paladin as Valiant (ie as charging into the fray, to get the maximum benefit to hit by being surrounded by the maximum number of foes).

@Neonchameleon can of course correct me if I've misunderstood what was intended, but the above powers are example, for me, of so-called "dissociated" mechanics making monsters feel more like their mythical archtypes, and thereby reinforcing theme and hence suppporting narrative play.

For the record this is absoutely correct.

If my character concept is a Paladin in shining armour who charges into the midst of the foe, challenging them all and powers are associated then my Paladin is, to put it bluntly, much much more stupid than his mount - and I need to play stupidly. His only reward for this, despite it being a mythic archetype, is going to be a Darwin Award. And trying to play my Paladin is an unpleasant experience because the game is (arguably justifiably) penalising me for playing the archetype I want to.

If my character concept is a Paladin in shining armour who charges into the midst of the foe, challenging them all and powers are disassociated 4e style, then my Paladin may still be much more stupid than his mount. But I'm playing the mythic archetype - and the game rewards me for doing so. Now charging into the midst of enemies is still a high risk maneuver - I'm surrounded and likely to be gang-shanked. But it's only a risky maneuver, not a completely stupid one because I get a benefit for behaving in character. So this becomes a positive play experience - the game rewards me for playing to the archetype.

To pick another illustration, there are two ways of modelling alcoholic characters. I'm going to call them GURPS and FATE just for the sake of argument. In GURPS an alcoholic character in the presence of alcohol needs to make a roll not to drink. A perfectly associated mechanic. In FATE, the DM offers a fate point to have someone's alcoholism become a problem. Completely disassociated.

What are the results of this?

In GURPS, getting an alcoholic character into a bar is normally incredibly difficult. They almost all behave like recovering alcholics who won't let liquor in the house. It's a simple risk-reward matrix; drinking is all risk and no reward for a GURPS alcoholic character. The rules even explicitely say that it's an addiction and the character drinks in the evening but this normally has no effect on the game unless they are in the presence of alcohol.

In FATE, an alcoholic character really is an alcoholic. You'll normally find them in their down time round a bar - and always tempted to take those extra drinks at just the wrong moment. After all, the FATE points feel good, and they can handle it (or so they think). And going cold turkey is actually hard.

One is process mapped to alcohol addiction. The other encourages you to behave as someone with a drinking problem. I'll leave it to the reader to guess which I consider leads to the more immersive character.

I think of immersion differenty - maybe idiosyncratically. I think of it as emotional investment in the ingame situation, and in one's PC. Getting angry when the PC is angry; crying when the PC is sad; feeling love or conviction that the PC feels.

The receding of the character sheet and preeminence of the fantasy world are tangential to this. It's about emotion, not perception or cognition.
That isn't idiosyncratic. At least if it is I share it. The process as opposed to the emotional mapping just gets in the way IME.

No one is arguing that the preferences are randomly distributed. They are disputing your explanation for the distribution. In particular, they are suggesting that you are disregarding familiarity as an explanation for your acceptance of hit points.
I imagine it's true that many Americans associate pumpkin pie with a certain homely, holiday feeling. But don't have the same association with (say) mince pies or hot cross buns or fruit puddings. That doesn't provie that pumpkin pie has any interesting objective difference from traditional British (and therefore Australian) festive foods, though. It just shows that some people are familiar with one rather than the other.
This. A thousand times this.

And I think that familiarity and mindset also comes in the other way. You and I look at that Deathlock Wight you quoted above and almost instantly see what's going on. My thought processes as DM are something like

• "Horrific Visage"? Ah. It's showing its face.
  • "Fear"?, "Psychic"?, "vs Will"? It's terrifying them by projecting its true face into their minds.
  • "Close Blast 5? Push?" It's only affecting people on one side of itself. And everyone recoils.
Therefore from just those few lines I construct something functionally identical to :
Horrific Visage (Su)
As a standard action, once every 1d3 rounds, the Wight can project a reflection of the dark horror that it in fact is into the mind of all those in front of it. Every enemy not immune to fear in a twenty five foot cone starting at its face must make a DC18 Will save or recoil in fear, retreating fifteen feet, stopping at the nearest wall, and taking 1d6 psychic damage.
Would those four lines of text be considered an associated ability? Because those are more or less what I (and I think @pmerton and others) see when I read the Deathlock Wight's Horrific Visage power.

Last edited:

Remove ads