D&D General GM's Closet for the CONAN RPG

Water Bob

Adventurer
I picked up a full run of Conan The Savage off of eBay, and I read the first book. Man! It's fantastic!

The art is amazing and does complete justice to the Hyborian Age. It's a B&W book, meant for an older crowd. The series was an attempted reboot of The Savage Sword of Conan. I can't imagine why this book didn't run longer, based on what I've read in the first issue.

latest

The first issue contains two over-sized stories. The first one focuses on an Aquilonian commander leading a relief troop to the northern face of the Eiglophian Mountains. There, the Aquilonians have established a fort, like they did in Cimmeria with Fort Venarium.

The troop commander finds the fort commander dead and must take over just before the savage Vanir attack. There is a Cimmerian (blue eyed, square cut mane of black hair) chained to a grinding wheel in the camp. It seems this mercenary has broken the jaw of the Aquilonian Sergeant in charge of the mercs over a drunken dispute on the salt payments.

16681281139_d60d942036_c.jpg

The second story sees a thirsty Conan crossing the Stygian desert and coming upon an Oasis that is walled in a circle-like configuration that makes a maze that must be solved, from the outer wall and desert to the Oasis at its center.

The first story could easily be used as an encounter in a Conan campaign, but the second story could serve as an entire short adventure, playable in one night's gaming.

16681265649_3d9f1d3eea_c.jpg

Remove ads