D&D 5E Human Subraces

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I've been saying for years* that "Barbarian" should be a race, not a class; a Human sub-race generally stronger, tougher, and not as intelligent (but wiser?) or charismatic as mainstream Humans.

* - years as in however long it's been since 1e's UA came out.

This gives a mechanical reflection of Viking-Goth-Hun-other raider/warrior type cultures.

It also makes a nice replacement for Part-Orcs if you don't want those in your campaign.

Lanefan

Li Shenron

Legend
Backgrouds Instead
On paper this is good,except in execution there are two problems.
Firstly, backgrounds are very much secondary skills or occuations and seldom where you were raised. They're what you do for a living.
Secondly, Backgrouds have to be options usable for all the other races. You can't add a bunch of human-only where-you-were-born human backgrounds.

This is something that we should try to keep in mind always.

A 5e background is NOT culture.

"Cultures" are what classes, specialties, spells, equipment, and why not also backgrounds, are more common on average. Not "common to everyone".

It might be possible to define a "cultural background" which in fact tries to capture the average. But it will fail on two accounts at least:

- since a background is 3 skills only by default, a "cultural background" has only a limited room to capture that average, and risk of cliche
- fails at answering the question "what do you do for a living?", answer: "I'm a French!" :D

Except backgrounds and specialites are optioal sub-systems. So they can't be used.

Technically true: it's been stated at nauseam by the 5e designers that the game works perfectly without specialties and/or background.

Practically false: just because it can work without them doesn't mean that people will not use them, and I can bet that 99% of the gaming groups will, for the simple reason that both skills and feats (rather than backgrounds and specialties) add a very minimal complexity to the game, but increase variety a lot.

If humans were given bonus skills and feats, this would work for 99% of the groups, and it would be a piece of cake for the PHB to suggest an alternative for the 1% gaming groups that don't use them.

Bluenose

Adventurer
I've been saying for years* that "Barbarian" should be a race, not a class; a Human sub-race generally stronger, tougher, and not as intelligent (but wiser?) or charismatic as mainstream Humans.

* - years as in however long it's been since 1e's UA came out.

This gives a mechanical reflection of Viking-Goth-Hun-other raider/warrior type cultures.

It also makes a nice replacement for Part-Orcs if you don't want those in your campaign.

Lanefan

Ah, that old cliche. As far as the Romans are concerned, the barbarians are big, lazy and unfit, lack any sort of stamina, and are much more inclined to give up when things get hard than tough Roman boys.

It might be possible to define a "cultural background" which in fact tries to capture the average. But it will fail on two accounts at least:

- since a background is 3 skills only by default, a "cultural background" has only a limited room to capture that average, and risk of cliche
- fails at answering the question "what do you do for a living?", answer: "I'm a French!" :D

"I'm a French Noble."
"I'm an Elf noble."
"I'm a Dwarf noble."
"I'm a Hun noble."

I don't think those people should all be the same sort of "noble". I think it would work a lot better if backgrounds said something along the lines of all nobles getting A, a choice of B, C, or D, and then something else depending on their race/culture.

Sadras

Legend
Ah, that old cliche. As far as the Romans are concerned, the barbarians are big, lazy and unfit, lack any sort of stamina, and are much more inclined to give up when things get hard than tough Roman boys.

As far as the ancient Greeks were concerned, it was anybody who was not Greek.

D&D has kind of struggled with what to do with humans the last edition.
They removed racial stat penalties -making humans were less special as the "race without penalties" - while they looked at giving each race a flavourful "weakness" and struggled with humans. In the Races & Classes book they talked about having the human weakness be temptation.

Human often get cast as "the average" or baseline in a lot of games (Tabletop and Video game) or diplomats. D&D always seems to force them into the "adaptable" category, which generally means they can be any class.

Subraces might be a fun way to really focus on what makes humans human in D&D Next. When I say "subraces" I mean "terrain raised" or "regional background" or "environment".
Whenever someone suggests having the terrain the person was born in offer a slight different bonus other posters quickly chirp up that so could other races. Unless that trait was unique to humans.
Humans are adaptable and flexible and change to fit the terrain. They can live and thrive anywhere. That becomes their hook. What makes humans special and gives them a larger role in the world. Which makes them worth playing from a role-playing perspective

Li Shenron

Legend
"I'm a French Noble."
"I'm an Elf noble."
"I'm a Dwarf noble."
"I'm a Hun noble."

I don't think those people should all be the same sort of "noble". I think it would work a lot better if backgrounds said something along the lines of all nobles getting A, a choice of B, C, or D, and then something else depending on their race/culture.

That's a different issue.

Backgrounds as they are defined today are clearly limited, but the whole point is that they are examples, and the players and DMs will work together to vary them all the time.

It might look indeed better to have a pool of skills to pick 3 from rather than 3 fixed skills, but if the list is stretched too far tho it will work against the point of providing an example...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases