Pathfinder conversions P.E.A.C.H.

Rampant

First Post
So I picked up the advanced race guide for pathfinder and figured I'd like to play a few of these guys in my 4e games too. First up are the trox from the build your own race section. I took a few liberties on these guys because I liked the look more than anything else.

Trox
Ability scores: +2 Strength and +2 Constitution or Charisma
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 Squares
Vision: Normal
Skills: +2 Intimidate and +2 Nature
Languages: Common, Thri-kreen
Grabbing arms: A trox has four smaller arms on its lower body that allow it to grasp and handle objects while leaving its massive main arms free. Once per round a trox may draw or sheathe a weapon, or retrieve or stow an item stored on their person as a free action instead of a minor action.
Resilience of the Beetle: A trox who chose +2 Charisma at level 1 gains +2 to their healing surge value. This bonus increases to +4 at level 11, and to +6 at level 21.
Resilience of the Dreadful:A Trox who chose +2 Constitution at level 1 never grants combat advantage to attacks made against its will defense.
Chitin: A trox is covered in massive organic armored plates, some of which even move to deflect incoming blows. Whenever a trox uses the second wind or total defense action the bonus to AC and fortitude increases by +1.
Insect Lift: A trox's carrying capacity is equal to its strength score times 20.
Blood Rush: A trox gains +1 on attack rolls until it has been rendered bloodied in an encounter. After a short rest this bonus returns, assuming you are no longer bloodied at the end of the short rest.
Death Rattle: The armor of a Trox is not just for defense but for generating the ear splitting SKREEEKEKEKE of the Trox at war. You gain the Death Rattle power.

Death Rattle Trox racial power
SKREEEKEKEKE!
Encounter * Fear
Minor Action Close Burst 3
Target: All enemies in burst
Attack: Primary ability modifier +3 vs will.
Level 11: Primary ability modifier +6 vs will.
Level 21: Primary ability modifier +9 vs will.
Hit: Target takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls and is slowed until the end of your next turn.
Special: At level 11 the range of this power increases to close burst 4, at level 21 it increases to close burst 5.

Trox are powerfully muscled bipeds that combine the worst traits of bone golems, beetles, and ghouls. A trox has massive plates of a material somewhere between Bone and Chitin covering it's face, head, back, forearms, and legs. The triangular plates on the back are arranged into two rows of 4 to 6 descending in size from the largest at the top to the smallest at the bottom, these plates are attached to the trox by short limbs wrapped thick hide and ropy muscle and can be folded over each other to create a dense multi-layered shield on the back or spread to create horrid mockeries of wings that the trox use mainly for communication and intimidation. Their eyes are set deep in their skulls peering out from their armoed faces, they have no lips and instead their fangs are rooted directly into the armor plate of their face, massive jointed blades flank their mouths, jutting from where a less horrible creature would have cheeks. Their massive upper arms end in three fingered (that's counting the thumb), clawed hands. 4 smaller two fingered, thumbless, clawed arms dangle from the creature's lower abdomen. Two thick legs with broad three taloned feet suppor the monster's weight, while a thick round tail aids in balance.

Trox stand anywhere from 7 to 9 ft tall, and have yellow eyes with no pupils. Their hide runs between brick red to sand brown to black, this color is most prominent around their head, back, and extermities and fades almost to white at the torso.

Trox are unnatural abominations and own it. They cultivate their savage reputation and the fear they inspire in other creatures. Even ogres and giants have been known to back down from a Trox. They have little in the way of domesticated animals partly because of their own great strength, and partly because most animals are easily spooked, the tastiness of such animals doesn't help either. Wehn the trox first emerged from the underdark a mere 300 years ago they were treated as nothing more than a curious new monster. They have trouble with most languages not based on clicks, and only in the past few decades has the ability to speak even a broken accented version of common become widespread among them.

Trox Feats

Earthsense [Racial]
Requires: Trox, training in perception or nature
Benefit: You gain tremorsense 1, this increases to tremor sense 3 at level 11, and to tremorsense 5 at level 21. In addition you may attempt to predict naturally occuring earthquakes by making a nature or perception check vs. a DC equal to 15 + 1 per hour until the next quake. Success tells you the time the quake will occur, but not the magnitude.

Refractive Carapace [Racial]
Requires: Trox, Chitin
Benefit: The bonus from your chitin ability increases to +2 and now applies to your reflex and will defenses.

Fear the Hunter [Racial]
Requires: Trox, Ranger, Hunter's Quarry, Death Rattle
Benefits: If your hunter's quarry target is hit by your Death Rattle power, it is immobilized instead of slowed.

War Drone [Racial]
Requires: Trox, Warlord Bard or Barbarian, Death Rattle power
Benefit: All allies in the burst of your Death Rattle power gain +1 on attack rolls until the end of their next turn.

Great Droning [Racial]
Requires: Trox, Death Rattle power, level 21+
Benefit: The range of your Death rattle Power increases to close burst 10.

Dense Carapace [Racial]
Requires: Trox, level 11+
Benefit: You gain damage resistance 1, at level 21 this improves to damage resistance 3.

Dread Carapace [Racial]
Requires: Trox, level 11+, training in intimidate
Benefit: You have painted and scarred your hide to make yourself more intimidating, and increase the potency of your rattle. Whenver you make an intimidate check you roll twice and use the better result, additionally you gain a +1 bonus to all attack rolls with your Death Rattle power.

Blood and Terror [Racial]
Requires: Trox, trained in intimidate
Benefit: You gain a +1 on attack rolls against bloodied creatures.

Snatch and grab [Racial]
Requires: Trox, improved grab
Benefit: You may grab creatures an additional size category above your own, and the DC to escape your grab increases by 2. In addition if you grab a creature of your size category or smaller you may maintain the grab and even drag the grabbed target with your Grabbing arms. This allows you to act and move normally while maintaining the grab except that you loose the ability to use your normal grabbing arms feature.

Last edited:

Ferghis

First Post
This looks okay, in the sense that all these details are balanced and playable. The only one I'm not sure of is the Resilience of the Beetle feature. Sorry if this feedback is vague, but it's all I have.

It would need some more class-specific feats (like the one you already have), if you want to really integrate it into the game. For example, this looks like a decent race for the brawler fighter, but the goliath (not to mention the human) has more options.

Generally good and something I'd almost entirely allow at my table. Two points I would raise:

Resilience of the Beetle: ... A Trox who chose +2 Constitution instead never grants combat advantage to attacks made against its will defense.

This just feels as if it would be fiddly, annoying, and easy to forget. I'd go for the surge value bonus across the board.

Death Rattle Trox racial power
SKREEEKEKEKE!
Encounter * Fear
Minor Action Close Burst 5
Target: All enemies in burst
Attack: Primary ability modifier +3 vs will.
Level 11: Primary ability modifier +6 vs will.
Level 21: Primary ability modifier +9 vs will.
Hit: Target takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls and is slowed until the end of your next turn.

Close burst 5 is IMO far, far too big for this power - especially as a minor action. (So is the close burst 10 feat). The combination of close burst 5 and slowed means anyone on the edge of the zone who's melee only can't even charge in to combat (and that's assuming you don't have a jump back effect) - at that point it becomes hard rather than soft control. Make it close burst 2. Also I don't get why it doesn't affect allies? They are used to it?

Rampant

First Post
Well I modeled it on the Dragon born fear power and figured slow would be slightly less powerful than making them grant combat advantage.

Is changing it to a slow effect what makes it overpowered or is the dragonfear power just op to start with and I never noticed?

Would close burst 3 work?

As for allies: I want to use trox as bad guys as well as pcs, and the image i have for that is a swarm of trox raiders popping out of the ground and launching off their drone to muck people up and then running off with the spoils in their grasper arms. I figured a wide burst effect that slows allies would be counter productive to that. Furthermore when was the last time you rolled a dragon fear check when the dragon was incinerating people you don't like? PArt of being afraid of something is knowing it's aware of and coming for you. Additionally there is a supernatural aspect to the fear effect that the trox directs, otherwise it's nothing more than crickets.

Ressilience of the beetle is based on the concept of the minotaur's vigor ability, but altered because I thought I had a cool idea. See a trox with the con boost has one extra surge, and 2 extra hp compared to a cha booster who makes out with +1 will which is arguably better. So I figured I'd steal a concept from the minotaur who was in the same boat with wis vs. con. On the other hand I also wanted all trox to be tough and posses great force of personality, so i gave the cool will defense boosting ability to the trox who take con, and a nifty but not particularly potent boost to surge value to the cha based trox.

WOuld it help the formatting/bookkeeping if I split the ability into two and state that you only get one based on your choice at first level so the player could just write down the one they got?

Well I modeled it on the Dragon born fear power and figured slow would be slightly less powerful than making them grant combat advantage.

Is changing it to a slow effect what makes it overpowered or is the dragonfear power just op to start with and I never noticed?

Would close burst 3 work?

Slow is very situational. Most of the time it's not a lot of use - once the battle's been joined, half the skirmishers in the game are going to ignore slow and most of the brutes, soldiers, and artillery aren't going to care much. On the other hand an AoE slow on the opening turn is going to prevent enemy melee charging and that's seriously going to change the battle, allowing a defeat in detail. A brute or soldier (without reach) who's slowed and five squares away from the enemy might as well be stunned. One who's four away doesn't generally care much.

Close Burst 3 would probably work. And would mean that a perfectly good move was move up almost to the enemy with your move action, use the death rattle, then run away again using their standard action.

(As for Combat Advantage, it's handy - but also gets very easy to get at higher levels).

Ferghis

First Post
Slow is very situational. ... A brute or soldier (without reach) who's slowed and five squares away from the enemy might as well be stunned. One who's four away doesn't generally care much.
I agree completely, but come to the opposite conclusion. Because the enemies that most dramatically suffer must be exactly 5 squares away, I think it's okay to reward tactical positioning that allows a player to do this.

However, I do think that the feat turning the power into a burst 10 is available too early. I would make that an epic feat.

As for resilience of the beetle, I'm still not sure what it is about it that bugs me (get it?). Breaking it into two separate abilities might make it more legible, but I'm not sure that's the issue.

Ferghis

First Post
Looks good. Maybe build-in a range increase for the racial power at level 11 or 21 to close burst 5.

Also, you're missing languages. I suggest:
Languages: Common, Thri-kreen

Rampant

First Post
Ok I need another couple feats.

Feedback suggests I need a couple of class specific feats, and I'd like to do some stuff with their carapace as a personal preference.

What about a ranger feat that immobilizes your quarry if you hit them with the drone?

Fear the Hunter
Requires: Trox, Ranger, Hunter's Quarry, Death Rattle
Benefits: If your hunter's quarry target is hit by your Death Rattle power, it is immobilized instead of slowed.

Spirit Rattle
Requires: Trox, Shaman, Death Rattle, Spirit Companion
Benefits: When you use your death rattle power you may have it originate from your self or your spirit companion.

Any ideas for a carapace feat or two? Also I can't help but feel that they need another feature, something on the order of dragonborn fury or something power wise, am I right or are the features fine as is?

Last edited:

Remove ads