How to Powergame in Ten Easy Steps

S'mon

Legend
Powergamer =/= Munchkin, IMO.

Maxing your to-hit bonus is powergaming.
Cheating and throwing tantrums are munchkin tactics.

Challenger RPG

First Post
@S'mon <!-- END TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention -->: I agree. I guess I never used the term 'munchkin' much and just kind of lumped all 'annoying' traits into powergamer whether they were legitimate, crazy, or just plain weird. I suppose I could have delineated into: rules lawyer, dramatist, cheater, munchkin, powergamer, and so forth. I just didn't feel like bothering to.

Please feel free to read "munchkin" anywhere where powergamer doesn't suit. I just like poking fun at players and GMs alike (sometimes in an over the top manner).

Personally, I'm a pretty annoying powergamer myself. I guess you could say I'm a munchkin too, because I occasionally just make up all my stats and abilities much to the chagrin of the current GM.

Thanks for the info!

Ulrick

First Post
Here are some questions from the "Are You a Munchkin?" quiz from the The Munchkin's Guide to Powergaming...

2. What is your favorite character class?
a. Thief
b. Warrior
c. Fighter/Mage/Thief half-ogre with psionic powers

6. An enemy is fleeing; what do you shout?
a. Stop!
b. Stop or I shoot!
c. Blam! Blam! Blam! Blam! Blam! Blam! 'Freeze!" (reload) Blam! Blam! Blam! Blam! Blam! Blam!

13. Complete this sentence, "I love the smell of napalm in the morning, it smells like..."
a. Combusting petroleum derivative.
b. Victory
c. Burning flesh, burning flesh! Die! Die! Die!

I also think, that in order to be a true munchking powergamer in D&D you have to beg, whine, and plead the DM to let you play a character who's Elminster's nephew, or heck, perhaps even Elminster himself.

Challenger RPG

First Post
@Ulrick <!-- END TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention -->: Ha ha, that's great! I instantly ordered the book from Ebay. I'm figuring it'll be worth the cost and shipping just for those lines you quoted here. Thanks for mentioning it.

<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention --> @GreyICE <!-- END TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention -->: Yes, it was entirely epic. I haven't laughed that hard in quite a while. You're a very fine writer.

Thanks for the great comedy, guys. I've really been enjoying reading it all. It was totally unexpected, but very welcome. :)

Remove ads