The Player Pack [merged threads]

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Player Pack Article at WotC

The relatively new Player Pack article at Wizards.com is full of good ideas for giving your players resources at the start of the game. As the author says,
Ed Greenwood said:
The term might sound rather grand, but each Player Pack is simply a few personalized sheets of paper stapled or clipped together that a DM hands to a particular player (keeping a reference copy, of course).
I did this once at the start of a mid-level campaign and it worked extremely well. All of the players had ideas of where to go and whom to talk with after the beginning scene. They even argued, in character, about what to do next.

It's a little bit of work, but it can really pay off in getting your players immersed in your game.

JeffB

Legend
I was enamored of this idea myself, and am working on that sort of thing now for when tbe party is through with the current adventure.

I have been enjoying the emphasis in recent articles about Ed running his Realms and Ed the DM. Its clear his creation is not the bloated ridiculous monstrosity TSR and WOTC's Novel department have tried to cram down our throats for the past 25 years.

Last edited:

Kinak

First Post
I've been doing this for years, back to 2nd Edition, and I have to say it's one of my favorite GMing tricks.

With 3rd Edition (and now Pathfinder) I started giving one page of background knowledge related to the character's race/class, one page if they tied their character to the setting for me, and one page for each knowledge skill they took at first level.

So everyone starts out with their page (or packet) of clues and background. I'm running Rise of the Runelords right now and slipped foreshadowing clear through the final act into the packets. But if you provide enough information, it looks less like foreshadowing and more just like background flavor.

Cheers!
Kinak

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I'm running Rise of the Runelords right now and slipped foreshadowing clear through the final act into the packets. But if you provide enough information, it looks less like foreshadowing and more just like background flavor.
That's the key: enough information. You have to fill the page with facts and figures so that the one critical piece of information isn't blatantly obvious.

Kinak

First Post
I'm lucky when the players remember NPC names.
For what it's worth, I've found that's a separate issue. I have a player that's devoured every line of handouts, but can't remember which priest in town is named what.

One is dead, one's been kidnapped, and one is his PC.

Kriger: "We have to find them before they kill Kriger!"
Kriger's Party: "Ummmm... what?"

Cheers!
Kinak

Quickleaf

Legend
So, basically a "player pack" is a handout with a customized map for that PC?

I tend to prefer the "exposition in the course of play" approach. I find stuff is more likely to be remembered that way.
Yeah, that's my approach too and still the remembering rarely happens. I suspect it has more to do with each player's random access memory being used for other things. I swear one knows every episode of Doctor Who.

For what it's worth, I've found that's a separate issue. I have a player that's devoured every line of handouts, but can't remember which priest in town is named what.

One is dead, one's been kidnapped, and one is his PC.

Kriger: "We have to find them before they kill Kriger!"
Kriger's Party: "Ummmm... what?"

Cheers!

Maybe you're right...the few times I do "info dumps" the players *are* interested, it's just precious little if anything sticks. I've read about repeating i three times, about making it relevant to their characters, nada.

I suspect a counteractive force which I can only observe the effects of. I dub this particle the "anti-DM"! :)

Remove ads