This One Goes to . . . Ten [Merged four Oct 29 Playtest Package announcement threads]

Bran Mak Morn

First Post
October 29th Playtest Packet - Anyone? Anything?

I was wondering whether there was anyone who already received the email and the packet. Anyone received anything? :blush:

LightPhoenix

First Post
Also, I was hoping to see expertise dice stay a fighter exclusive mechanic. I'll reserve judgement until I see how the rogue uses them, but if they're identical in how they're gained and what they're spent for, I'll be disappointed. It's a step towards having classes feel very similar, and I'm enjoying the different feel of 5th Edition's classes so far.

On the one hand I agree. IMO, the Fighter badly needed something unique to give it flavor, and Expertise Dice fit the bill. The Rogue's SA dice were very similar, so I see the logic in applying the Fighter mechanic on the Rogue. However, it seems like a bit of a cheat to me - instead of slapping the mechanics of a more interesting class on the Rogue, why not work on making the Rogue mechanics more interesting?

We're already starting to see the homogenization of 5E classes with the Wizard Traditions and Cleric Deities, which are shaping up to be the same thing with different names. In that case, their general areas of utility are fairly distinct by tradition. So why couldn't it work with the Fighter and Rogue? Personally, I don't think that D&D has really done enough to provide a distinct role for the Rogue, especially in 3E/4E. Giving Rogues Expertise Dice seems to me to be continuing in that trend.

On the other hand, I could definitely see Expertise Dice being used for something like on-the-fly metamagic effects. In fact, I could see that being a cool merging of the flavor of the mechanics in a spellblade/swordmage class (versus a Wizard's prepared metamagic). While mechanical uniqueness is nice, that doesn't mean it has to be hard and fast. So perhaps the Rogue system works well. I guess we'll have to see the playtest packet to see.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
I meant spell level, so two spells each from 1st to 5th spell level. I need to review the "Use of the Word Level" section from basic D&D before I write these things!
So... only one spell per character level?

So a 1st-level Wizard will have a few at-will spells, one encounter spell, and one daily spell. Hmmm...

I hope there's an option for people who like all-daily (as well as any number of other styles).

Remove ads