Pros and Cons of going mainstream

No... I'm admitting that, in the case you don't want Vancian magic? You have options. Let us try to find a version of 4e where Vancian casting exists. How about skill-based combat and casting? What about spell points?

You just don't get it, do you.

4e does not hard code the justifications for the limits into the system anywhere. Which means if you want to play a wizard who thematically casts as a Vancian mage you can - and the mechanics does not get in the way of this. If you want to play a wizard who is skillful and magic is a reflection of his skill it's not hardcoded and 4e doesn't get in the way of this.

By mandating the method as opposed to the outcome, the methods used are restricted. If you only deal with the outcome then there are few methods that are incompatable with given character concepts.

So Vancian Casting exists in RAW 4e. So does skill based casting (and if you want to make skill rolls, there's the entire ritual system to do it in). It's only process-sim games where this is a problem.

Again. The flexibility of the OGL's material allows for the game to go in the path it wants.

You mean "Because we have the OGL we can house rule". Good to know you need permission for that.

I've played 4e. I've even run a few 4e games, including a 20 session campaign. The game, short of deciding to paint those shells, is not really able to go outside of its very specific, very focused nature.

Political intrigue? A team running a con on someone? Because I've run both those in 4e and there are explicit reasons why both worked better than they would in 3.X (skill challenge systems, more versatile PCs, less overwhelming magic) or better than they would in e.g. GURPS - although not as well as they would in Spirit of the Century or Leverage. The 4e niche it does well is "Team of action focussed adventurers".

Yes. As we all know Ikea allows you to take the handles off of this bureau, the shelving off of this bookcase, the structure of this TV stand...

Which is the 3.X approach you seem to advocate.

The 4e approach is lego - all the parts fit together and you are intended to create something interesting witht hem rather than just what you bought.

I feel you're missing the point of a metaphor that everyone else is getting.

No. I'm pointing out that the metaphor shows you just don't get the versatility of 4e.

When they activate that magic item or ability they howl. Not exactly rocket science.

And the howl causes enemies to recoil, to take damage, and to run away? Start with "Heavy metal Barbarian" as your character concept.

And that's like your opinion man.

You started the "That's a bad character concept".

Oh noes! Classes can do more or less than each other? Now, I understand that playing a character who doesn't automatically hurl fire or fart thunder as a fighter may be upsetting.

And now you're explicitely strawmanning. My point stands - if characters aren't balanced against each other then balancing them becomes meaningless.

Some of us don't need that, and build functioning characters.

Oh, you can build functioning characters in 3.X. But you made a claim about balanced ones - with the difference between a druid and a monk, talking about balanced ones is almost meaningless.

Yep. Then they got a professional errata team to fix the glitches... Something not offered to 3.x.

*snicker*

They pulled 3.0 off the shelves after two and a half years, replacing it with an edition that had a significant (although not sufficent) number of bugfixes. One of the reasons for the errata team was so they didn't have to do that again. Claiming that 3.X wasn't offered a bugfix when it was offered an entire new edition with many of the most blatant problems fixed (and new ones added) is ... revisionist.

Which was then dealt with through... House rules? Like every other edition?

And unlike most RPGs that I consider well designed.

All of these things can be done with 3.x and perhaps an OGL sourcebook/simple house rules.

And it doesn't break the system.

All can be done badly by 3.X and house rules. That much I'll grant.

So they got the stuff done right in previous editions. Got it.

Let's run through this again to show just how the goalposts are shifting.

You: What fluff did 4e take with it from earlier editions?
Me: [Stuff]
You: So they got the stuff done right in previous editions. Got it.

And yes they did. Your own words.

They then threw out the bits that caused arguments at the table and made little sense outside Planescape with its Philosophers-with-Clubs like the Great Wheel, and made a mistake by throwing out the Realms fluff for whatever reason; although I detest the Realms and prefer the new stuff, there are groups of people who like the Realms and it serves that need. I'd prefer Ebberon and the Vale - but the Realms shouldn't have been torn up.

If I need to change something, I can change it without worrying about starting a roll of dominoes. Yes.

You are talking about 4e here? Rather than the edition with Polymorph and Shapechange taking the stats of monsters so you can't even unleash a poor monster like the Sarrukh on the world without the PCs stealing its stats - hence Pun-Pun.

On the other hand I could add a monster like the Sarrukh to 4e with literally no problem at all - the bits of the game that would be changed are shifted.

You are therefore objectively wrong about this claim (as usual). You don't normally break stuff by changing the rules in 4e - and for reasons like the pervasive magic system you often can in 3.X. But the misunderstanding is a common one and there's a good reason behind it. The 4e rules are elegant - and against them half-baked houserules simply look half baked. With a system that let the 3.5 Diplomacy rules go to print and in which Toughness was considered a feat worth printing you aren't going to have a set of house rules look bad.

When we disagree with a specific ruling, we can choose to alter it. The obsession with RAW is just silly.

You appear to be the incarnation of the Oberoni Fallacy. RAW is what I paid money for.

Which is odd considering I'm one of three guys who I know who has run/runs 4e IRL, and about a dozen who run anything OTHER than 4e.

And, you know, the numbers.

Given the amount of :):):):):):):):) spread about 4e, the community separated. That you've given 4e a try and not understood it is better than many, I agree.

And it gets in your craw. As I have explained, 4e does what it does... But it isn't anywhere near the coverage of 3x and the resultant d20 system.

And I've challenged you on this in a number of ways. You just keep repeating assertions. Or do you mean that there isn't the OGL boom?

So you're blaming 4e's failures on the economy? It's odd that OD&D took off with that whole recession thing going on.

I gave at least half a dozen different reasons 4e has problems including the playtesting and the marketing. The economy is just one part of it. For you to pick out a single point and say "You're blaming one thing" and to then make an unlike with unlike comparison is deceptive. (TSR were thought to be insane for producing a few hundred brown box sets - 4e is orders of magnitude bigger than that although neither it nor 3.X reached the 80s high as far as I know).

Ahh, the 'take your ball and go home' style. Excellent! Like people who claim they will leave their country if X happens, it almost never happens.

Believe it or not I wasn't a member of ENWorld until about six months after I started playing 4e regularly. I was, however, a member of RPG.net for many years before that. Because it was about games I was interested in.

I see the beginnings of the neogrog forming. The obsession with beating on other 'impure' editions, the anger, the fear. Let it all flow.

But 4e has the most reverse grognards I have ever seen during my time in gaming... And I've seen quite a few major changes to other RPGs. You have your fun, but we don't find it intriguing... So you need to fight against it.

Again I used to be like you. Let it go.

Hint: You are spending thousands of words to run down a game you don't like and seem absolutely obsessed with it. I suggest you take your own advice - becuase it's the first good advice you've given in this thread.

Hussar

Legend
Gentle people (and DMs :p), while I appreciate your input it seems to me that we had become mired in yet another 3e vs e4e debate. My original intention was for the discussion to be more encompassing of all published editions. So if you are familiar with say Homes edition and wants to chime in, by all means do so.

IME 2e philosophy was :"Here are the official rules. We use those for sake of consistency if we have to play tournaments and living campaigns. Feel free to do otherwise." As I said before in this tread I want to beyond what the rule are and focus on how the game was played. The experience will undoubtedly vary based on the individual experiences. But (hopefully) that will still be a insightful discussion.

Personally when I was playing 2e the DMs did not feel that they have to follow all the official canon. So when a player would show them a contradiction in their game based on rulebook X it was acceptable for the DM to state that he or she was not achieving to X in their campaign. In 3e in such situation it was expected for the DM to retro change his narrative in order to preserve consistency. May be this was because TSR was printing so much material in short amount of time most groups could not keep up, may be DM fiat was more accepted as way the game was run, may be players could not just go to their local library and find the setting books there.
In other words, in the 2e plot kingdom the DM was king and canon was an adviser while in 3e the canon was king and the DM was his herald.
/snip

This is ballocks. The DM's of 3e were no more or less beholden to canon than any other edition. I challenge you to show me a single, solitary piece of advice in any WOTC publication that states anything remotely close to, "it was expected for the DM to retro change his narrative in order to preserve consistency". This is simply not true.

Hey, I'm not the biggest fan of 3e, but, let's not start making stuff up to complain about. I had players in 2e challenge me on canon elements. For example, I had a player complain that I used a monster in a particular area, when the monster manual clearly states that said monster lives in another area. So, IME, it's hardly a new thing at all.

I would also advise you to peruse 2e modules if you think that canon is not king in 2e. Never mind the entire Planescape and Spelljammer lines which were massive canon metaplots that overarched every TSR setting.

DM fiat was accepted to some degree in 2e because 2e mechanics didn't cover a large number of pretty basic game interactions. Want to bluff the guard? DM fiat and free form roleplay because 2e had virtually no mechanics to help you here. It has nothing to do with players being any different then than today.

Luce

Explorer
Talking about 3e.
I did write IME (in my experience). I did not see in 2e people getting out source books to show the DM his is wrong. On the other hand despite what 3e DMG states about "This may be an official setting, but it is my game" I distinctively remember players referring to setting wikis and the (then) DM accepting the correction. But in a way that is my point, some people do play by changing the rules to make their game better. It is just that for a long time, me personally and others who I gamed with were led to believieve by the clean up rules that there is one and only one way to play the game. RAW. It is clearly fallowing on my part that I did not notice this sooner, but the way the books are written there is a clear set expectations. By that level you have to be this tall to adventure, have so much magic items, access to such and such spells and resources and so on. That is fine, but not everyone abides to those expectations. Even if you play by RAW, depending on the permitted source books, balances and experiences between groups can vary. Furthermore, one of the distinct feature of 3e is the 3pp. Many of the 3e groups I had experience with, did indeed adopt rules and materials from one or more 3 party sources in their games.
In the end that created games that are balanced within themselves, but not universally so across the gamespace. And that is fine as long as there is fun to be had.

Hussar

Legend
Talking about 3e.
I did write IME (in my experience). I did not see in 2e people getting out source books to show the DM his is wrong. On the other hand despite what 3e DMG states about "This may be an official setting, but it is my game" I distinctively remember players referring to setting wikis and the (then) DM accepting the correction. But in a way that is my point, some people do play by changing the rules to make their game better. It is just that for a long time, me personally and others who I gamed with were led to believieve by the clean up rules that there is one and only one way to play the game. RAW. It is clearly fallowing on my part that I did not notice this sooner, but the way the books are written there is a clear set expectations. By that level you have to be this tall to adventure, have so much magic items, access to such and such spells and resources and so on. That is fine, but not everyone abides to those expectations. Even if you play by RAW, depending on the permitted source books, balances and experiences between groups can vary. Furthermore, one of the distinct feature of 3e is the 3pp. Many of the 3e groups I had experience with, did indeed adopt rules and materials from one or more 3 party sources in their games.
In the end that created games that are balanced within themselves, but not universally so across the gamespace. And that is fine as long as there is fun to be had.

Again, you're ignoring what's actually there. Look at EVERY module ever produced for D&D. They all have a level range. You can go all the way back to the very first modules, and you'll see that you have to be "this tall to adventure, have so much magic items" and so on. There's a reason that the 1e (and 2e IIRC) paladin were restricted to TEN magic items. Everyone was expected to have more than that in fairly short order. A quick look at the treasure tables in AD&D shows that you've got about a 10% chance (give or take) for 3 magic items with every lair. Sure, it might be higher or lower, but, that's a decent estimate. How many lairs will you clear per level? Easily 5, and probably 10 - note, lair could be as small as a single ogre, although it could be much larger when we deal with humanoids. It's not unreasonable that the party is gaining 3-5 magic items per level.

Now, as far as 3pp goes, I'm somewhat ambivalent. For one, a lot of the 3pp material was very, very bad. The gems shine by comparison. But, even though I personally bough in pretty heavily into 3pp, I was generally the only one. And I could very rarely entice anyone to join in. It was WOTC or nothing. And, let's not forget, that the basic advice whenever anyone was having problems with 3e was, "Core only". No one ever said, "Hey, you're having problems with 3e, you should start using lots of 3pp, that'll help".

I think that the 3pp material was far less prevalent at tables than might be assumed on a messageboard.

But, in any case, I think that you are really not looking at the history of the game objectively. Sure, you can chuck in an IME on your idea, but, then, okay, my question becomes, "So what?" If it's only your experience, then you cannot make any broader statement, nor can you use your experience to make statements about how the game was played. In other words, if you think that 3e DM's were more beholden to canon than other edition DM's, show me some proof beyond your group. Otherwise, your idea has some pretty large holes in it.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Loonook said:
And what is bothersome is that 4e players cannot understand that their game isn't all that it is cracked up to be.

Neonchameleon said:
You just don't get it, do you.

Hussar said:
This is ballocks.

BOYS AND GIRLS, if you cannot stop fighting, I WILL pull this thread over and you will be WALKING home. I don't care if it's raining blood!

pemerton

Legend
What's not legal about the 1E build? Does he not meet the ability requirements for dual classing?
For a start, he has more than two classes, which is not permitted under the AD&D (1st ed) rules for the character with two classes.

I can't remember the Mouser's stats in DDG, but even if the illegal number of classes is disregarded, there would need to be a 15 in one of STR, DEX or INT (depending on 1st class) and a 17 in the other two.

Waiting to see evidence that I need to, that this isn't a claim born of a slight misunderstanding or lack of familiarity with the AD&D or 2Ed rules.
I'll leave 2nd end AD&D to others, but I've got a pretty good working knowledge of the AD&D rules, based on both playing and GMing.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
For a start, he has more than two classes, which is not permitted under the AD&D (1st ed) rules for the character with two classes.

You're taking that "character with two classes" language more literally than they intended.

The requirements are simply these:

1Ed PHB p33
In order to switch from one class to another, the character must have an ability score of 15 or more in the principle attribute(s) ability of the original class and a 17 or 18 in the principle attribute(s) of the class changed to. Note that nearly any combination of classes is thus possible...Alignment will preclude some combinations.

And the reason that I know you're misinterpreting the language in question is the rules to become a Bard in 1Ed:

1Ed PHB p117
Bards begin play as Fighters, and they must remain exclusively fighters until they have achieved at least the5th level of experience. Anytime thereafter, and in any event prior to attaining the 8th level, they must change their class to that of thieves. Again, sometime between 5th and 9th level of ability, bards must leave off thieving and begin clerical studies as Druids; but at this time, they are actually bards and under druidical tutelage.

As for his stats, he has Str16, Int18, and Dex19 (D&Dg p97)- assuming he started as a fighter, there's nothing illegal in the build. Given the way he lives, it is unlikely he'll progress beyond MU 3rd, though.

Fafhrd, OTOH, is more interesting, because he is a Bard. Why is that interesting?

Because:

1) He's a ranger, not a fighter, making it clear that they interpreted language in the PHB referring to "fighter" in the bard section meant any subclass of fighter.*

2) He has too many levels of Ranger, and his stats definitely are not up to snuff

* The Arthurian section makes this same interpretation with Bards with Paladin levels...but without any thieving levels! Babylonians and Celts likewise have Bards sans thief levels, and I imagine others do as well.

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
the reason that I know you're misinterpreting the language in question is the rules to become a Bard in 1Ed
Bards are an exception, in multiple respects: (i) Half Elves can be bards (but can't be "characters with two classes"); (ii) bards don't have to meet the stat requirements for dual-classing; (iii) bards can "dual-class" into a third class!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'd point out that there are lots of other humans in the D&Dg that have more than 3 classes besides those in Nehwon, but as I myself have already pointed out, many break the DC rules in some way...without being bards, FWIW.

Hiawatha is a LG Paladin, Ranger,Druid, for instance, violating the alignment restrictions.

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
I'd point out that there are lots of other humans in the D&Dg that have more than 3 classes besides those in Nehwon
Yes. In my view they're not rules legal, for multiple reasons (including the stat issues that you mentioned).

I also assume that at least some of the DDG entities can cast their MU spells while armoured - the gods, at least, if not also the heroes.

Another respect in which the humans in the DMG break the rules is that, as heroes, they all have excellent saves - 3+ on a d20, from memory.

Remove ads