D&D 5E So why all the freaking dice?

Evenglare

Adventurer
Just looking at the playtest, it seems like people are just rolling way to many dice. A static bonus is more reliable and easier to calculate. When you roll dice it takes time to actually get these dice, roll them then add them up. Am I the only one who sees this being a serious problem bogging down high level play?

Stormonu

Legend
You must not have players at your table who are building ever-taller dice towers. :)

If its a once-an- encounter thing like and older version style fireball, I don't mind a handful of dice being thrown. But if it's an every round thing, I'd like to keep the trowing and adding down to a minumum - two dice is more than enough for constant use.

JeffB

Legend
Rolling a handful for one thing does not bother me, I think it is kinda fun. But having to make a few diff rolls on my turn for just one thing gets annoying...e,g. Spell resistance..roll a saving throw to see if I need to make another saving throw. Or multiple attacks of 3 or more. Or having to make an attack roll for every creature in a area effect. That annoys me.

Zaran

Adventurer
I think it's because it's a way to build in complication for those who want it and others can just simply roll for extra damage.

S

Sunseeker

I remember at the very, very very beginning of all of this there was a poll, and the question was something long the lines of "how many dice do you like to roll", and later on it turned out that more often than not, people liked to roll lots of dice as opposed to few. This transformed into the line of "we like to roll dice", which I saw often repeated in many of the postings on the WOTC site.

So, if you ask me, rolling lots of dice has been a solid point from day one.

I have to say, if I were given the choice between rolling one die, and rolling 100 dice, I would take the latter.

Evenglare

Adventurer
It just seems if you are rolling 8 dice most every round and taking the time to add the number it's going to bring the game to a crawl. Especially if you are adding modifiers on top of that. I thought one of the things they were going to try to fix is the amount of time combat takes, rolling more dice won't accomplish that at all.

S

Sunseeker

It just seems if you are rolling 8 dice most every round and taking the time to add the number it's going to bring the game to a crawl. Especially if you are adding modifiers on top of that. I thought one of the things they were going to try to fix is the amount of time combat takes, rolling more dice won't accomplish that at all.

But you can't boil the game down to the whims of a d20 roll either.

Remove ads