D&D 5E So why all the freaking dice?

Bow_Seat

First Post
On the one hand having a lot of dice create reliable distributions of numbers that are less swingy. On the other hand we have low levels of dice that are easier to manage. I like the reliable distributions more than the easier averages + small dice pool. Both systems bring advantages and disadvantages.

Stalker0

Legend
I think the dice scaling does get a bit much. Weapon dice + 2d6? Seems reasonable. Dice + 6d6? A little much.

I wouldn't mind a mindground where the damage dice scale less and let the martial damage bonus compensate. Would also tone down high level manuevers if they are "too good"

triqui

Adventurer
I think the dice scaling does get a bit much. Weapon dice + 2d6? Seems reasonable. Dice + 6d6? A little much.

I wouldn't mind a mindground where the damage dice scale less and let the martial damage bonus compensate. Would also tone down high level manuevers if they are "too good"
In 3.X rogues roll 6d6+ per attack and can have several attacks per round, and I don't find it unbearable.

variant

Adventurer
Putting the average damage in parentheses next to the dice roll could easily give people an option to just use the average. Overall I don't think there are too many die rolls. Back in 3e, a fighter had to roll and calculate each individual attack, now that was time consuming.

Last edited:

S

Sunseeker

No one was claiming that you could. There is such thing as a middle ground.

So, in your opinion, where would that be? How many dice would be appropriate for a player at level 1? Level 5? 10? 20? Differentiate between classes if it helps you clarify. I see a lot of "there's too much of this" or "too little of that", but few are the explanations of exactly what people want to see.

Evenglare

Adventurer
For really pivotal rolls? (fireball , meteor swarm) Sure , 8-10 dice is fun. For a regular attack? you shouldnt need to roll more than a d20 and then... let's say 3 other dice for weapon damage or whatever. Ideally, they will have what 13th age has, and recommend that you use dice conventions (average die rolls and such) to cut down on rolling. It's just insane to see a fighter roll a d20, then weapon damage, then 6d6, then add his strength, then also add his damage bonus. If you are doing that every round or every other round with a cleric rolling a crap ton, and with the use of advantages or disadvantages. Ugh, it pains me to even think about waiting for the players to find the correct dice, then roll them, then add them up . No thanks.

edit* And who knows what crazy stuff they will pull out with the ranger and other classes. I don't know it just seems way too excessive for a single round to grind the game to a hault to make sure the person has the correct number of dice they need to roll.

Remove ads