January : What are you reading?

Pheonix0114

Explorer
I just finished Card's book The Lost Gate which was good (7/10 for Card) but felt at the end like it was all a prequel more than a lead in for a trilogy. I also reread Gaiman's Stardust for probably the fifth time since I first picked it up 6 years or so ago. And now I'm rereading Karen Miller's Kingmaker Kingbreaker set ( Innocent Mage and Awakened Mage).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Mordikenn

First Post
I love Orson Scott Card's books, I've read the Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, and Maps in a Mirror.

Currently I'm reading Stone of Tears (in the Sword of Truth series), which I'm a little on the fence about. I know it's probably something that most people have already read, being like 10 years+ old haha.

Gilladian

Adventurer
Let's see... reread the Hobbit. After seeing the movie, I had to get the real story back in my head. Movie wasn't bad, although I could have done without Radagast. But the book is one of my all-time favorites...

Read a Teen novel called "Survivor" - it was okay, about a girl who lives through a plane crash even though she's suicidal. The romance was a bit too pat, though.

Read "Pure" - SF dystopian, pretty much YA. Had some world-building issues, and one or two Huh? moments, but overall I liked it.

Also read a YA fairytaleish story by Jodi Picoult and her teen daughter. It called "Between the Lines". Good, not great. Imaginative and had some nice things to say about family. Again, the romance was a bit too easy.

Tried to read Crown of Embers, the sequel to Girl of Fire and Thorns, which I loved. Got about 1/3 of the way in and gave up, skimmed the end. I am SO tired of first person, present tense! and the heroine seemed much flatter, less able to understand either herself or others in this novel.

Lastly, I've started Seraphina, by Rachel Hartman - another YA - this time a pure fantasy. I'm only a few pages in, but so far so good. It's about the relationship between humans and dragons. The reviews have all been positive, anyway.

Nellisir

Hero
Finished Playback, read The Last Policeman, by Ben Winters. It's set in Concord NH, which is my hometown, and it was slightly surreal and pretty cool to see it as a backdrop. Winters' writing vaguely reminds me of Raymond Chandler, with a good amount of description and driving around, and a slightly obsessive protagonist who doesn't understand how to stop doing his job. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would at first.

Trying to slow down the reading a little bit right now; I'm vaguely unsatisfied and restless, and I don't think I'm enjoying the good books as much as I should or could. I've got another Raymond Chandler and The Dervish House left from Xmas, and I'm saving them until I can chill out and really enjoy them.

In the meantime, I'm punishing myself with The Chessmen of Mars, by Burroughs. ;)

I am reading Bloodsucking Fiends by Christopher Moore.

It's the first book dealing with Jody, Flood, The Animals, and the vampires. I had originally read You Suck: A Love Story a while ago not realizing that it was a sequel. So I figured it's about time I read the proper beginning. ;)

Old Man's War by John Scalzi - The whole setup of the story took a while, but am enjoying the last third of it.

I just picked this up to read on travel next week; I reread Forever War for this first time in about 25 years over the holidays.

Listening to A Memory of Light right now, too -- very enjoyable thus far.

Krug

Newshound
I felt like Old Man's War was The Forever War, retold and not improved. But a lot of people seem to like it, so not sure if I'm alone in that.

My memory of Haldeman's book is a bit hazy now, but I don't think OMW had the same pathos and brilliance and inventiveness as FW.

Catching up on some of the articles I've downloaded to Pocket and Instapaper, and also listened to the excellent podcast from Drabblecast, The Wreck of the Charles Dexter Ward, which is a SF+ Lovecraft combo.

Remove ads