January : What are you reading?

NewJeffCT

First Post
Started Stephen King's Dark Tower series - not far into The Gunslinger right now. Not sure how I like it, though. It's been at least 15 years since I read anything by King, and that was his horror stuff.

NewJeffCT

First Post
Agreed. It's like someone else wrote the latter part of the book.

Started on Scourge of the Betrayer by Jeff Salyards, about a mercenary company. It's one of those brutal, gritty low-magic fantasy books and not bad so far.

sounds like a promising book.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
It's a sad state of affairs when finding time for pleasure reading is difficult to do. I still have Steven Pressfield's The Virtues of War to finish when the time permits. I've enjoyed what I've had time to digest so far. :)

Dioltach

Legend
Just ordered Whispers Under Ground by Ben Aaronovitch, it is the third in the Rivers of London series. Think a very British spin on the Dresden Files, although modern British, so like the modern BBC Sherlock crossed with magic and Pagan gods, and less Pulp American detective wizard.

Rivers of London is the first book in the series which I highly recommend, although I think the title was changed in the US.

I have to stop reading these "What are you reading" threads. I should be working, and instead I've been unable to put this book down for the past hour and a half.

Started Stephen King's Dark Tower series - not far into The Gunslinger right now. Not sure how I like it, though. It's been at least 15 years since I read anything by King, and that was his horror stuff.

I really enjoyed the first 4 books of that series; it's more fantasy/sci-fi than it is horror. The last 3 books were odd for me, though. I liked them, but some of the story was very disjoined and just...weird. That's really the only way I can describe it without spoilers.

Razjah

Explorer
This month has been really productive for my reading- I've read Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk and the first Book of the South Shadow Games by Glen Cook. I'm working on the next Black Company Book Dreams of Steel, also working on The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (in case someone at a D&D forum didn't know), I'm finishing Never Unprepared: The Complete Game Master's Guide to Session Prep by Phil Vecchione (of the Gnome Stew Crew who wrote Eureka and Masks) in the next day or two. There are a few other books that I read a chapter or two every once in a while, but those are my focus for the month.

loki44

Explorer
In the Garden of Beasts - Erik Larson

The same guy who wrote The Devil in the White City. This one reads just as well. Its focus is on the poor schlep, and his family, who fell into the role as US ambassador to Germany on the eve of Hitler's ascent. Interesting angle.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Dioltach

Legend
Whispers Under Ground or Rivers of London?

Just finished Rivers of London and Moon over Soho, and will probably start on Whispers under Ground today.

Sadly, the quality of the editing is rather poor. Some typos might be down to the conversion to epub format, but the writer's use of commas and his sentence structure leave a lot to be desired, and I've come across multiple instances of 'then' instead of 'than'. Otherwise the books are really good.

Bagpuss

Legend
Just finished Rivers of London and Moon over Soho, and will probably start on Whispers under Ground today.

Sadly, the quality of the editing is rather poor. Some typos might be down to the conversion to epub format, but the writer's use of commas and his sentence structure leave a lot to be desired, and I've come across multiple instances of 'then' instead of 'than'. Otherwise the books are really good.

Can't say I've noticed much/any of that in my hard copies, but it is awhile since I read the first two. If you are interested and can give an example from Moon over Soho, I'll do a comparison.

Remove ads