J.J. Abrams to direct next Star Wars film.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Look what they've done with Marvel.

Note that most of what was done with Marvel was done *by* Marvel. Iron Man 2 and Thor were already well on their way when Marvel was acquired, so Disney doesn't really get credit for them.

However, both of you have made my grandma cry with your course language!

Sir! I'll have you know that the language I use in my courses cannot be properly expressed in a simple ascii character set! So, your grandmother's mind is quite safe from my higher mathematics.

And she's dead even! (Yes, she's a Litch...but she's a Good Litch!):p

Now, now, let's not be hasty - time travel is also an option. :p

I do not understand this. Lucas made Star Wars. This is like saying the Lord of the Rings would have been better if someone other than Tolkien wrote it.

Yes, but even Tolkien had an editor. The issue wasn't that Lucas made it, but that he had *complete* creative control, as opposed to having others who could effectively correct George when he'd stepped a bit astray.

delericho

Legend
I'm gradually warming to the idea of more Star Wars movies. And JJ Abrams is as good a choice for director as they could have made, so I'm happy with that.

One of the things that has swayed me somewhat is that I got a box of the four seasons of Clone Wars for Christmas, and have been watching my way through those. There's a huge amount of good material there. But that's not surprising - I had seen the first three seasons before.

What I hadn't grasped, but what the special features make plain, is just how involved Lucas was with the ongoing series - he's acting as a creative consultant there, and his ideas are still pretty sharp. So it does seem like that role suits him, especially when paired with a really good team doing the 'real' work.

And, of course, that's exactly how it seems the new films will be made (Lucas as creative consultant, but the actual film-making left to an expert team). So I'm quietly optimistic.

But I won't be completely sold until the closing credits of Episode 7 roll...

hopeless

Adventurer
I'm gradually warming to the idea of more Star Wars movies. And JJ Abrams is as good a choice for director as they could have made, so I'm happy with that.

But I won't be completely sold until the closing credits of Episode 7 roll...

Ditto and hopefully he'll avoid a reboot whilst he's at it...

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Well, JJA wanted to make a SW movie before, but couldn't, so he made the (horrible, disastrous, hideous) Trek movie.
Having seen his other work, he would not be someone I would choose to direct... anything.

But I seem to be an old geezer. What do I know what young people want.

That said, he could hardly make anything worse than Lucas has.

JCoM needed some editing--really dragged in the middle.

Last edited:

DnD_Dad

First Post
I'm just glad Lucas won't have anything to do with it. He STB with the prequel and Disney just own the property and knows it will make money either way. I say give Paul Verhoeven a shot at directing one and we'll see what a lightsaber can really do.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Hopefully much less. In the DVD interviews and special features, Dave Filloni (or whatever) keeps saying things like "And this was George's idea, and it was just brilliant." But the way he says it sounds more like "I'm sorry--the boss ordered me to do this stupid thing," and usually it is the worst part of any given episode.
And where the show has gone since the end of season 2... Ug.

Remove ads