Converting monsters from Tales From The Infinite Staircase

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Haha, oops! Just thought of something: shouldn't greater reduce be a mirror spell as greater enlarge/reduce? That would be a good choice for the 3rd level mirror spell.

Ironically, spells involving mirrors as components/foci aren't classified as mirror spells. Maybe we should change that. ;)

Cleon

Legend
Haha, oops! Just thought of something: shouldn't greater reduce be a mirror spell as greater enlarge/reduce? That would be a good choice for the 3rd level mirror spell.

Ironically, spells involving mirrors as components/foci aren't classified as mirror spells. Maybe we should change that. ;)

In the current draft, a mirror spell is a special way kamerel spellcasters can combine certain spells using Mirror Magic, which they can do to one spell per spell level.

It's not a matter of giving a [Mirror] descriptor to every spell that has a reversible or invertible counterpart, it's more like a clerics domain spells, where we'll note the mirror spells by separating them with a slash and adding a hyphen, e.g.:

3rd—blacklight/daylight*, two, three;
*mirror spell.

I'd wondered about giving them a greater enlarge so they have a mirror counterpart for greater reduce, but none of the kamerel spellcasters had enlarge prepared in the original adventure, so it seemed surplus to requirements.

I'd be fine adding it in if you like. We could give it to Nen Itan as one of his mirror spells, since I prefer blacklight/daylight for the rank-and-file mage's 3rd level mirror spell.

freyar

I like blacklight/daylight, but I think the normal mages need to carry greater reduce (even if not the mirror version of it), since they'll need it for the monster mirror trap. So that's 2 3rd level spells. How about displacement for the other one? Seems thematic.

Cleon

Legend
I like blacklight/daylight, but I think the normal mages need to carry greater reduce (even if not the mirror version of it), since they'll need it for the monster mirror trap. So that's 2 3rd level spells. How about displacement for the other one? Seems thematic.

Yes, I was planning on giving them greater reduce as one of their standard 3rd level spells.

It might be prudent to refer back to the original spell list before we get too carried away, though:

Spells (15): burning hands (×2), darkness, detect magic, magic missile, reduce (×2), scry mirror (×4), shield, transport mirror (×2)

Okay, so we've already got the reduce and darkness covered, so that leaves burning hands, detect magic, magic missile, scry mirror, shield and transport mirror.

The problematic ones are the scry and transport mirrors, since we've made those 3rd level we don't have enough slots for them all.

I'm in favour of giving him displacement as his 3rd level spell and having him carry scry mirror and transport mirror as scrolls. As I believe I mentioned before, the adventure says they spent a lot of time in Reflection preparing these mirrors, so scrolls of them fits well.

Those'll only cost him 380 gp (scry) and 415 gp (transport), which is well within the Mage's equipment budget.

So that'd give us a minimum of:

Typical Wizard Spells Prepared (4/4/4/3), DC 13 plus spell level.
3rd—blacklight/daylight*, displacement, greater reduce**;
2nd—one, two, three, four;
1st—burning hands, magic missile, shield, four;
0—detect magic, two, three, four.
* mirror spell.
**new spell - see below.

Equipment
Budget:
5,600 gp [6th level NPC]
masterwork dagger (301 gp)
scroll of scry mirror (380 gp)
scroll of transport mirror (415 gp)
Total: ??? gp
Remainder: ??? gp

Cleon

Legend
Hmmm, what about Protection from Chaos/Law* at 1st level. Cantrips: mage hand, open/close, resistance?

Those are all fine, but as written he's entitled to a "mirror spell" cantrip.

The only SRD spell that'd qualify is ray of frost, since it can mirror to ray of fire. Do you want to add substitute one of those cantrips for it? Although I'd be OK with it as-is.

That just leaves the second level spells. I'm thinking glitterdust would be good due to the kamerel's hardened senses. Maybe scorching ray/freezing ray for ranged damage and mirror image for defense (for obvious thematic reasons), although protection from missiles also tempted me. That leaves one, which should probably be some kind of save-or-sucks offensive spell - maybe hideous laughter or hypnotic pattern?

2nd—one, two, three, four;
1st—burning hands, magic missile, shield, protection from chaos/law*;
0—detect magic, mage hand, open/close, resistance.
* mirror spell.
**new spell - see below.

Oh, and we were going to add greater enlarge weren't we. That should be pretty straightforward.

How about:

Greater Enlarge
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One creature
Duration: 1 min./level (D)
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell functions like enlarge person, except that the effect is not restricted by creature type.

If your caster level is 7th or higher, you can choose to enlarge a creature by two size categories instead of one: quadrupling its height and multiplying its weight by 64. The target gains a +4 size bonus to Strength and a –2 size penalty to Dexterity (minimum of 1). The target's new size will also change its size modifiers to attack rolls, AC, and other combat actions such as grapple and bull rush.

If a reduce person is cast on a creature greater enlarged by two size categories it partially counters the effect so the creature is only enlarged by one size category (as per enlarge person).

Material Components: A pinch of powdered iron.

freyar

I'm not sure it has to have a mirror spell at every level. I was sort of thinking that open/close is like a mirror spell anyway.

At 2nd level, glitterdust, scorching ray/freezing ray*, mirror image, and hideous laughter ought to work.

And greater enlarge looks fine.

Cleon

Legend
I'm not sure it has to have a mirror spell at every level. I was sort of thinking that open/close is like a mirror spell anyway.

It doesn't have to prepare one per level if it doesn't want to, and I was thinking open/close was already pretty mirror spell-like too.

At 2nd level, glitterdust, scorching ray/freezing ray*, mirror image, and hideous laughter ought to work.

And greater enlarge looks fine.

I'm thinking giving it both displacement and mirror image is a bit thematically redundant, so how about changing one of them for another spell.

Maybe dispel magic instead of displacement?

2nd—glitterdust, scorching ray/freezing ray*, mirror image, hideous laughter;
1st—burning hands, magic missile, shield, protection from chaos/law*;
0—detect magic, mage hand, open/close, resistance.
* mirror spell.
**new spell - see below.

Remove ads