Converting monsters from Tales From The Infinite Staircase

Cleon

Legend
I don't read that the same way. Your interpretation seems to be that the spell takes a day to cast and has a month+ duration.

When did I say anything about a casting time?

For that matter, even the original adventure doesn't say anything about casting time. It says the material components take a day to create, but that's hardly the same.

Hang on, on second reading I think I follow you - it says the mirrors last for level+3 weeks once created, not once the spell's cast. For some reason that didn't parse properly the previous time I read it. That's a relief - I was trying to figure out why Nen Itan had four copies of scry mirror when it lasts for three months, but if it has the same 1/round duration as magic mirror (which at least is mentioned in the description) it makes a lot more sense.

I was planning to cut down the duration a lot for this conversion anyway, so that makes it easier!

Anyhow, are we going to keep that in our conversion? There aren't any material component that spoil in the SRD, and how does a mirror "go off" anyway - unless it really is the duration of the spell. :p

The creator casts a scry mirror spell and can access any scry mirror items within 10 miles/level.

The original description says it allows the caster to see through any mirror, not merely any scry mirror. Indeed, if the scry mirrors only last a month or two they'd have to constantly replenish their mirror spy network.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'd rather drop the "spoiling" components, so I agree with you there. We can still make it cost something. But while the wording is a little vague (it certainly doesn't explicitly say you can look through any mirror), I had the impression you do have to go around replenishing the mirror network.

Cleon

Legend
I'd rather drop the "spoiling" components, so I agree with you there. We can still make it cost something. But while the wording is a little vague (it certainly doesn't explicitly say you can look through any mirror), I had the impression you do have to go around replenishing the mirror network.

It says scry mirror allows the viewing of areas "already shown in a mirror somewhere", not "already shown in another scry mirror somewhere".

There's no mention in the adventure of the kamerel setting up a network of viewing mirrors around the library. Apart from the brief "spell descriptions" in the Mirror Magic section, the only other information we have about how scry mirrors operate is the aforementioned sentence about Nen Itan using one:

Nen Itan, their overall leader, watches through a scry mirror (he has many) to monitor the exits and the progress of any non-kamerel that he knows are within Timaresh.

Why don't we rough out a Working Draft for the spell using a cut-down form of magic mirror? It should (hopefully) produce results faster if we actually have something to work on.

freyar

Hmm, ok, so you use the "expensive" mirror component to look through any mirror? That makes some sense. Sure, go ahead with a working draft if you like.

Cleon

Legend
Hmm, ok, so you use the "expensive" mirror component to look through any mirror? That makes some sense. Sure, go ahead with a working draft if you like.

Yes, it's not like the Mirror Library is short of mirror to spy out of - it's practically made out of mirrors.

Anyhow, I'll have a stab at a working draft for scry mirror.

Cleon

Legend
Scry Mirror Working Draft

Scry Mirror
Divination (Scrying)
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Components: S, M
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: 10 miles/level
Effect: Magic sensor
Duration: 1 min./level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell turns a specially crafted "viewing mirror" into a device that can show you the view from any other mirror within range, provided the target mirror is on the same plane of existence. You must either be aware of a target mirror's position or precisely state a target location. Furthermore, the target mirror must provide a clear and stable image - the spell cannot scry using the reflection of rippling water or burnished metal, for example, although a still pool of mercury would qualify. If there is no suitable mirror at the target position the scry mirror only shows a grey fog. You can change the scry mirror's target position as a standard action, allowing you to switch the viewpoint at will.

This spell creates an invisible magic sensor that appears in the target mirror. Creatures under observation may notice this sensor (requires a Spot check with DC 30, or DC 10 if the creature can see invisible objects), which resembles peering eyes that match your own. As with all divination (scrying) spells, the sensor has your full visual acuity, including any magical effects.

You must concentrate to use a scry mirror. If you do not concentrate, the scry mirror is inert until you again concentrate. Breaking either the target mirror or viewing mirror immediately ends the spell. The viewing mirror shatters to powder when the spell ends.

Material Component: A mirror crafted by a spellcaster that costs 5 gp.

Last edited:

freyar

I like the invisible sensor. I'd probably therefore go with DC 30, like a still invisible object. In any case, this looks good, and I'll agree to that. Maybe 3rd level, possibly 4th. There are a couple ways it's better than scrying. 5 or 10 gp for the material component?

Cleon

Legend
I like the invisible sensor.

I combined bits of wording from arcane eye with teleport and scrying while drafting it, and the invisible sensor from the first of those spells seemed appropriate.

I also wondered about adding the "As with all divination (scrying) spells, the sensor has your full visual acuity, including any magical effects." from scrying - what thinks thou?

I'd probably therefore go with DC 30, like a still invisible object.

Yes, I was thinking DC 30 for the spot check too - or, rather "DC 30, or DC 10 if the creature can see invisible objects".

Maybe 3rd level, possibly 4th. There are a couple ways it's better than scrying.

I'd go for 3rd level.

The limitation to only looking out of mirrors, relative ease of spotting, and the ability to end the spell simply by breaking the mirror are all significant weaknesses compared to scrying.

5 or 10 gp for the material component?

Well it ought to be one-seventh the 40 gp cost of the mirrors used for transport mirror, since they take a day to make instead of a week.

The closest whole number to 40/7 is six, suggesting 6 gp for the cost.

That said, it doesn't make much difference in practical terms - I'd be fine with either 5 gp or 10 gp too.

Which do you prefer?

freyar

I like the "full visual acuity" phrase. "DC30 or 10" also works for me. 3rd level is fine. And 5gp seems a bit rounder than 6gp, but it doesn't really matter.

Remove ads