D&D 5E D&D Next Approximate Release Date?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I think Gorgoroth means a game that is balanced enough to hold together for 15 years--as opposed to 3e and 4e, which (to some people) showed their flaws more and more over time until people got sick of them.

Well, it isn't like any past edition did this 15-year trick. Nor do I think the entertainment sector or current economics support the idea that they can just publish the same game for 15 years and expect it to be viable. I mean, more power to you, but it doesn't seem a realistic hope.

GreyLord

Legend
Well, it isn't like any past edition did this 15-year trick. Nor do I think the entertainment sector or current economics support the idea that they can just publish the same game for 15 years and expect it to be viable. I mean, more power to you, but it doesn't seem a realistic hope.

I think that depends on what you define as an edition. 2e core rules (so none of that 2.5 and some of the expanded rules of 2e) was actually closer to 1e than 3.5e was to 3e. If you consider 3.5 and 3e the same edition, in theory you could also consider 1e and 2e (core) as one edition. If you do a later 1e start then some, with 1977 as THE date, you could say that 1e itself had a 12 year run, with 1e & 2e as AD&D rules as opposed to a D&D edition particular, would be a 23 year run.

On another front, if you take it that BECMI was the edition of D&D basic expanded, after the B/X and Holmes...BECMI inclusive of the Rules compendium (Which would basically be a compilation of BECM) then that would be (release of 1983) with other sets being basically introductory, not really killed off totally until the 3e release, though you could say it was sort of killed off around the 1997 to 1998 era which would still give it 15 or nigh 15 years. If you include it as a continuation of the Holmes, though in truth I feel 1e and 2e were closer related...then from Holmes to 2000 (if you consider that the final death knell/nail for Basic D&D expanded) than it actually would also be a 23 year run.

Yeah, but you are counting as if it is still the current version---which it is not. There are still folks playing 1E, but I do not think anyone would say it is still going strong. I might prefer 3.0/3.5 material, but I am dubious of it 'going strong' without WoTC support and new material. Pathfinder is different though---new materials and corporate backing have created a nice success. However, as close to 3.0/3.5 as it is, it is just far enough away that it really should be considered its own version (imho).

am181d

Adventurer
I think that depends on what you define as an edition. 2e core rules (so none of that 2.5 and some of the expanded rules of 2e) was actually closer to 1e than 3.5e was to 3e.

As someone who played both 1e and 2e at the time, I don't agree with your premise.

twofalls

DM Beadle
I'd bet a year's salary they have a tentative date decided, if only for their internal timetables. But the last thing they want to do is announce anything until they are sure they can deliver. Gamers, having been burned many a time, are not forgiving when announced release dates are not fulfilled, and the last thing WotC wants to do is start off their new edition with a delay.

How much do you make?

Remove ads