D&D General D&D Survivor: Planar Dragons

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
@CleverNickName said they wouldn't do another thread and in the Companion thread people wondered if there could be another. I thought I'd do a list of slightly more popular dragons rather than go to another group nobody seems to care about. So here's a list of the Planar dragons published for D&D to date, dragons native to other planes. They were originally introduced in the 2nd edition supplement Draconomicon: The Book of Dragons (1990), but they were greatly expanded in 3rd edition and some that were introduced earlier were put into the group. These received additions during 4th edition, so they've had much more staying power than many other dragons created for the game.

HOW TO PLAY
  • Only the dragons that have been published in print for Dungeons & Dragons are included. A few third-party publishers will be included, but I don't have all of the books ever printed, so I'm limited to what I have. If you really wanted to see something else, do you own list -- or tell us about it in detail!
  • Each entry starts with 20 points.
  • Every day, you vote for one dragon that you like, which gains 1 point. And then you vote for a different dragon, which loses 2 points. It is intentional that a negative vote is worth more than a positive vote, because math.
  • Mark your upvotes in green, and downvotes in red. Or just show them in bold text and use "+1" and "-2" to mark them, if colored text is too difficult on your browsing device.
  • It's easier if you just copy and paste the previous poster’s vote and change the numbers; the Quote function isn't the best for this.
  • You may vote only once per day. This is an honor system, and we are all honorable gamers; please do not abuse it. If this means you vote once at night one day, and once the next morning - that's fine, but don't vote again until the following day. Rule of thumb: if your most recent vote post says "yesterday" in the time stamp, you can vote again.
  • This is just another Internet popularity contest and you do not have to explain an upvote or downvote, but feel free to do so... those explanations are where the fun is! And the more outlandish, petty, or nitpicky your reasons for voting, the better!
  • When downvotes reach 0 the dragon is removed from the list.
  • Finally, if an entry has one point left, then you have to make the choice to use all of your downvotes to eliminate it; there is no vote splitting. In addition, you can't upvote and downvote the same entry (no "see" votes). And you have to use BOTH YOUR UPVOTE AND DOWNVOTE if you vote.
THE MOST IMPORTANT BITS
Three important points that you must read before voting--
  • This is just a popularity contest, and it's supposed to be fun. You can cast your votes for whatever reason you want; a dragon that you used a lot, a dragon you wanted to love but hated, a dragon that killed Kevin's character in a hilarious way, whatever. But this is for enjoyment only. If you experience anger, hostility, or other evidence of Not Having Fun, you're doing it wrong.
  • As always, the list is the list. If you have a complaint about the list, please direct it to //dev/null.
So. Onward to the contest!

Ultimately, the whole point of this thread is to have fun. Some people really want this to be a "Best In Show" contest, and they get really worked up when (not 'if') their favorites get eliminated (I am sometimes one of those people). But hopefully we have all figured out how this works by now. For the newly-initiated, remember that this is not an election, nor is it a survey or a job evaluation. Frankly, this is a celebration of the hard work @CleverNickName put into these threads.

LIST OF PLANAR DRAGONS IN D&D (WITH SOURCE IN PARENTHESES)
Abyssal Dragon: native to the Abyss (Draconomicon I: Chromatic Dragons; 2008; 4E)
Adamantite Dragon: native to the Twin Paradises of Bytopia (Monstrous Compendium: Outer Planes Appendix; 1991; 2E) -- note that this is different from the Adamantine Dragon from the Metallic Dragons
Arboreal Dragon: native to the Olympian Glades of Arborea (Dragon #321; July 2004; 3.5E)
Astral Dragon: native to the Astral Plane (Dragon #134; June 1988; 1E) -- this one has different abilities from the one below
Astral Dragon: native to the Astral Plane (Dragon #343; May 2006; 3.5E) -- this one hass different abilities from the one above
Axial Dragon: native to the Clockwork Nirvana of Mechanus (Dragon #321; July 2004; 3.5E)
Battle Dragon: native to the Heroic Domains of Ysgard (Draconomicon: The Book of Dragons; 2003; 3.5E)
Beast Dragon: native to the Wilderness of the Beastlands (Dragon #321; July 2004; 3.5E)
Chaos Dragon: native to the Ever-Changing Chaos of Limbo (Draconomicon: The Book of Dragons; 2003; 3.5E)
Chole Dragon: native to the Infinite Layers of the Abyss (Dragon #344; June 2006; 3.5E)
Concordant Dragon: native to the Concordant Domain of the Outlands (Dragon #321; July 2004; 3.5E)
Ectoplasmic Dragon: native to the Demiplane of Ectoplasm (Psionic Bestiary: Ectoplasmic Dragon; January 23, 2004; 3.5E)
Elemental Dragon: native to the Elemental Chaos (Draconomicon I: Chromatic Dragons; 2008; 4E)
Elysian Dragon: native to the Blessed Fields of the Elysium (Dragon #344; June 2006; 3.5E)
Ethereal Dragon: native to the Ethereal Plane (Draconomicon: The Book of Dragons; 2003; 3.5E)
Feywild Dragon: native to the Feywild (Draconomicon I: Chromatic Dragons; 2008; 4E)
Gloom Dragon: native to the Gray Waste of Hades (Dragon #344; June 2006; 3.5E)
Hellfire Wyrm: native to the Nine Hells of Baator (Monster Manual 2; 2002; 3.5E)
Howling Dragon: native to the Windswept Depths of Pandemonium (Draconomicon: The Book of Dragons; 2003; 3.5E)
Oceanus Dragon: native to the River Oceanus which connects the Upper Planes (Draconomicon: The Book of Dragons; 2003; 3.5E)
Pyroclastic Dragon: native to the Bleak Eternity of Gehenna (Draconomicon: The Book of Dragons; 2003; 3.5E)
Radiant Dragon: native to the Seven Mounting Heavens of Celestia (Draconomicon: The Book of Dragons; 2003; 3.5E)
Rust Dragon: native to the Infernal Battlefield of Acheron (Planes of Law Monstrous Supplement; 1995; 2E)
Shadowfell Dragon: native to the Shadowfell (Draconomicon I: Chromatic Dragons; 2008; 4E)
Styx Dragon: native to the River Styx which connects the Lower Planes (Draconomicon: The Book of Dragons; 2003; 3.5E)
Tarterian Dragon: native to the Tarterian Depths of Carceri (Draconomicon: The Book of Dragons; 2003; 3.5E)

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
Abyssal Dragon 20
Adamantite Dragon 20
Arboreal Dragon 20
Astral Dragon (Dragon #134) 20 + 1 = 21
Astral Dragon (Dragon #343) 20 - 2 = 18
Axial Dragon 20
Battle Dragon 20
Beast Dragon 20
Chaos Dragon 20
Chole Dragon 20
Concordant Dragon 20
Ectoplasmic Dragon 20
Elemental Dragon 20
Elysian Dragon 20
Ethereal Dragon 20
Feywild Dragon 20
Gloom Dragon 20
Hellfire Wyrm 20
Howling Dragon 20
Oceanus Dragon 20
Pyroclastic Dragon 20
Radiant Dragon 20
Rust Dragon 20
Shadowfell Dragon 20
Styx Dragon 20
Tarterian Dragon 20

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
Abyssal Dragon 20
Adamantite Dragon 20
Arboreal Dragon 20
Astral Dragon (Dragon #134) 21
Astral Dragon (Dragon #343) 18
Axial Dragon 20
Battle Dragon 20
Beast Dragon 20
Chaos Dragon 20
Chole Dragon 20
Concordant Dragon 20
Ectoplasmic Dragon 20
Elemental Dragon 20
Elysian Dragon 20-2=18
Ethereal Dragon 20
Feywild Dragon 20
Gloom Dragon 20
Hellfire Wyrm 20+1=21
Howling Dragon 20
Oceanus Dragon 20
Pyroclastic Dragon 20
Radiant Dragon 20
Rust Dragon 20
Shadowfell Dragon 20
Styx Dragon 20
Tarterian Dragon 20

Omand

Hero
Abyssal Dragon 20
Adamantite Dragon 20
Arboreal Dragon 20
Axial Dragon 20
Battle Dragon 20
Beast Dragon 20
Chaos Dragon 20
Chole Dragon 20
Concordant Dragon 20 + 1 = 21
Ectoplasmic Dragon 20
Elemental Dragon 20
Elysian Dragon 18
Ethereal Dragon 20
Feywild Dragon 20
Gloom Dragon 20
Hellfire Wyrm 21
Howling Dragon 20
Oceanus Dragon 20
Pyroclastic Dragon 20
Radiant Dragon 20
Rust Dragon 20
Shadowfell Dragon 20
Styx Dragon 20 - 2 = 18
Tarterian Dragon 20

I think we all should just forget the Styx Dragon ... I will see myself out. :)

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Abyssal Dragon 20
Adamantite Dragon 21
Arboreal Dragon 20
Axial Dragon 20
Battle Dragon 20
Beast Dragon 20
Chaos Dragon 20
Chole Dragon 20
Concordant Dragon 21
Ectoplasmic Dragon 20
Elemental Dragon 20
Elysian Dragon 18
Ethereal Dragon 20To
Feywild Dragon 20
Gloom Dragon 20
Hellfire Wyrm 21
Howling Dragon 20
Oceanus Dragon 20
Pyroclastic Dragon 20
Radiant Dragon 20
Rust Dragon 20
Shadowfell Dragon 20
Styx Dragon 18
Tarterian Dragon 18

Too bad there's no Doom Dragon. The offspring of that and Gloom Dragon would be a Doom and Gloom Dragon.

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
Abyssal Dragon 20
Adamantite Dragon 21
Arboreal Dragon 20
Astral Dragon (Dragon #134) 21 + 1 = 22
Axial Dragon 20
Battle Dragon 20
Beast Dragon 20
Chaos Dragon 20
Chole Dragon 20
Concordant Dragon 21
Ectoplasmic Dragon 20
Elemental Dragon 20
Elysian Dragon 18
Ethereal Dragon 20
Feywild Dragon 20 - 2 = 18
Gloom Dragon 20
Hellfire Wyrm 21
Howling Dragon 20
Oceanus Dragon 20
Pyroclastic Dragon 20
Radiant Dragon 20
Rust Dragon 20
Shadowfell Dragon 20
Styx Dragon 18
Tarterian Dragon 18

Do the two Astral Dragons from Dragon Magazine mean we are dealing with the old arcade classic “Double Dragon?”

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
Abyssal Dragon 20
Adamantite Dragon 21
Arboreal Dragon 20
Astral Dragon (Dragon #134) 22
Axial Dragon 20
Battle Dragon 20
Beast Dragon 20
Chaos Dragon 20
Chole Dragon 20
Concordant Dragon 21
Ectoplasmic Dragon 20
Elemental Dragon 20
Elysian Dragon 18-2=16
Ethereal Dragon 20
Feywild Dragon 18
Gloom Dragon 20
Hellfire Wyrm 21+1=22
Howling Dragon 20
Oceanus Dragon 20
Pyroclastic Dragon 20
Radiant Dragon 20
Rust Dragon 20
Shadowfell Dragon 20
Styx Dragon 18
Tarterian Dragon 18

Abyssal Dragon 20
Adamantite Dragon 21
Arboreal Dragon 20
Astral Dragon (Dragon #134) 22
Axial Dragon 20
Battle Dragon 20
Beast Dragon 20
Chaos Dragon 21 +1
Chole Dragon 20
Concordant Dragon 21
Ectoplasmic Dragon 18 -2
Elemental Dragon 20
Elysian Dragon 16
Ethereal Dragon 20
Feywild Dragon 18
Gloom Dragon 20
Hellfire Wyrm 22
Howling Dragon 20
Oceanus Dragon 20
Pyroclastic Dragon 20
Radiant Dragon 20
Rust Dragon 20
Shadowfell Dragon 20
Styx Dragon 18
Tarterian Dragon 18

We got some great MtG art for Chaos Dragons and I like that they are very versatile Dragons that can be used in alot of ways, heroes, villains, randomizing agents that are neither, found on all the chaotic planes, randomized breath and confusion breath. The MtG card is pretty cool too.

PS it still annoys me that we still don't have 5e stats for Chaos, Astral, and Oceanus Dragons even though we have art for them.

Last edited:

Remove ads