• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Player or GM?

Shortymonster

First Post
Hey there everyone! I'm still kinda new to this forum, and doing more loitering than posting, but I do have a question for the lot of you: Do you spend more time as a player or a GM? Quite a simple question I know, but it's just nice to get a handle on which direction people will be commenting on posts from.

delericho

Legend
DM, almost all the time. I generally prefer to DM, and since I have limited time available to dedicate to gaming I prefer to get the maximum enjoyment for my investment.

That said, my current campaign is due to conclude tomorrow night, after which I'm definitely hoping to spend some time on the other side of the screen.

Lindeloef

First Post
Besides a One Shot and 4 Game Sessions, I spend my time behind the DM screen (or at least a virtual one). Though I would like to be a player for a long campaign once...

Razjah

Explorer
For the past 5 years I have been almost exclusively a GM. But I joined a gaming group back around late October-November and I have been a player since. I'll probably stay a player until I'm done with grad school. From there I have no idea, probably back to being a GM (I like GMing more than playing most of the time).

Shortymonster, are you by any chance the same Shortymonster who frequents Gnome Stew?

Nytmare

David Jose
I manage to play in a one shot game maybe once a year if I'm lucky, but I haven't had a chance to play in a campaign in probably over a decade. I had kinda given up on playing with strangers, there were just one too many random groups that I didn't mesh with; and besides, I had managed to pull together a solid group of friends over the years and we kept the two campaigns I ran afloat for a damn long time.

Over time, I became the only one who had a work schedule that allowed room for all the DM prep work. I was always the one who lived centrally for the rest of the group, and I was the only one who bothered to always designate a room in their house as a game room.

Now however, I've been game-less for almost 3 years. The members of my group somehow managed to become grownups while I wasn't paying attention and even though we can usually manage a game night or three every month, it's rarely the entire group, and the focus is entirely board games.

Shortymonster

First Post
Now however, I've been game-less for almost 3 years. The members of my group somehow managed to become grownups while I wasn't paying attention and even though we can usually manage a game night or three every month, it's rarely the entire group, and the focus is entirely board games.

I would say that it happens to us all, but I'm lucky enough to be part of 50 member plus gaming society, of which at least half the members are in their thirties, myself included. I know I'm one of the lucky ones though.

Remove ads