[Adventure] Madness at Gardmore Abbey

FourMonos

First Post
The hike with Merri is sometimes entertaining and sometimes educational. It is clear that she has some knowledge of the plants and animals, often citing interesting details of life cycles and flower patterns on the plants they pass. Of course, some things are suspicious as she proclaims one field plant to be "Merri's favorite 3rd pink flower."

After the long afternoon walk, which didn't appear to wind her, Merri looks around approvingly, "This is a pretty place to stop for camp. I'm happy to help keep watch, too!"

When the sun goes down, she removes her hat and traveling cloak, pulling a sleeping bag and blankets, pots and pans and fire making gear from her side pouch.

OOC: Merri has perception as a skill as well, if we need to split up to make sure someone has that covered each shift

Son of Meepo

First Post
As the sun begins it's descent under the horizon, the sky is illuminated with the rosy glow of dusk. The party begins preparing a spot to camp in a location that is both pretty and sheltered, choosing a location near a field of lilac's nestled in between two hills.

Eva tries to set a snare, but as she's concealing the rope the tension snaps the lashing and the snare is suddenly set loose.

Critical Fail (Attack vs Reflex, miss Half) (1d20+6=20, 1d6+6=8)

Eva is quick enough to fling herself away, but she does get quite a nasty rope burn on her dominant hand. A small trickle of blood begins to ooze from the wound.

Merri begins to prepare the fire, lighting the tinder ablaze and starting the slow burn of the wood.

However, the group does not have to wait long for signs of orcs, they clearly hear them coming through the brush and the emerge from the opposite hills. The band is led by an orc with long, gangly arms and narrowed clawed fingers and with wart-covered skin. Several orcs brandishing glaives mingle with him in irregular formation. Bringing up the rear are two more orcs with clay pots from which black smoke billows.

[sblock=Combat]MAP

Initiative
Initiative (Eva, Merri, Joy, Papolstanaas, Illarion, Drew) - 14+ to act before the orcs. (1d20+4=5, 1d20+7=18, 1d20+5=8, 1d20+6=26, 1d20+7=21, 1d20+8=25)

All except Eva and Joy act before the orcs in round 1.[/sblock]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Visitors? Are they hostile?

Ah, whatever, welcome friends! Come, join us for dinner."

[sblock=Actions]
Minor: ready staff
Minor: ready dagger
Standard: ready action Mists of disarray (burst 1) if they show to be hostile and I can catch at least three on the front, otherwise Blazing starfall (burst 1) on nearest two I can catch
For example (if I knew they are hostile I would center mists of disarray on W10) - except they have to pass Q column to be in range
[/sblock]

Mewness

First Post
"They're waving weapons around," says Papolstaanas, preparing his own weapons. "It doesn't look friendly."

[sblock=actions]Papolstaanas readies his sword and shield and readies an action to charge the leader if he gets within range (Overwhelming Strike, +13 vs. AC including charge bonus, 2d8+5 damage with vanguard bonus).[/sblock]
[sblock=Off-Turn Actions for Papolstaanas]Off-Turn Actions
If Papolstaanas wants to prioritize any particular off-turn action, I’ll note it here.

Guardian’s Counter (interrupt): Triggers when an ally within 2 of Papolstaanas is attacked and Papolstaanas is not included. Papolstaanas and the ally shift 2 (swapping places), the attack is resolved against Papolstaanas instead, and afterwards Papolstaanas gets to make a basic attack (Overwhelming Strike) against the attacker.

Papolstaanas will use Guardian’s Counter to protect any vulnerable person in the group unless it’s likely to drop him.

Lightning Rush (interrupt):Triggers when an enemy within 5 of Papolstaanas targets an ally with an attack. Papolstaanas moves his speed to be adjacent to the enemy and attacks (+13 vs. AC, 2d8+6 damage; +1 to damage if he has CA). If it hits, the triggering attack is resolved against him rather than the intended target. (This is the augmented 2 version, which Papolstaanas will always use. If he doesn’t have power points, he won’t bother with this power.)

Papolstaanas will always use this on ranged attackers if he can get there without provoking (since it’s an interrupt, the ranged attack will provoke an OA from him as well).

Melee Basic Attacks: Papolstaanas uses Overwhelming Strike for OAs and granted melee basic attacks. Arranging the slides and shifts will be tricky, so I’ll try to post some guidelines on my turns.

Wrathful Warrior (no action): Papolstaanas gains 4 temp HPs the first time he is hit by a melee or close attack.

Blurred Step (free, 1/turn): Triggers when an enemy marked by Papolstaanas and adjacent to him shifts. Papolstaanas shifts 1.

Papolstaanas will follow his mark around if he can. If the mark is also his oath target, he will try to keep the oath active (i.e., maneuver so as not to be adjacent to other enemies).[/sblock]
[sblock=Papolstaanas]Papolstaanas Male Kobold Avenger|Battlemind 7
Initiative: +6, Passive Perception: 24, Passive Insight: 18, Senses: Darkvision
AC:25 (--), Fort:18 (--), Reflex:20 (--), Will:18 (--)
+2 defenses vs. traps
HP:69/69, Bloodied:34, Surge Value:17, Surges left:12/12
Action Points: 1
Power Points: 4
:bmelee: Overwhelming Strike +12 vs. AC; 1d8+5 damage, Papolstaanas shifts 1 square and slides target into the square he just vacated. Papolstaanas gets +1 to damage if he has CA.
Battlemind’s Demand, Blurred Step, Overwhelming Strike, Iron Fist, Lightning Rush
[o] Oath of Enmity (regained when target drops to 0 hp)
[o] Guardian’s Counter
[o] Fury’s Advance
[o] Distracting Flare
[o] Shifty Maneuver
[o] Davros Elden’s Defensive Step
[o] Wrathful Warrior (feat)
[o] Second Wind

[o] Aspect of Might
[o] Nightmare Vortex
[o] Mental Triumph
[o] Vanguard Weapon daily

Conditions: none

Full sheet: Papolstaanas[/sblock]

Last edited:

FourMonos

First Post
Merri backs up some from the approaching orcs.

"Hey, um Papolstaanas, remember when you said we could hide behind you? Those guys have big weapons!"

[sblock=actions]
Minor: Draw rapier

Movement: Move to H-11

Standard: If an enemy moves within 5 squares, Merri will use Dark Beckoning (+12 vs. will, 1d6+11 damage).

[/sblock]

[sblock=Merri's mini-stats]Merri- Female Human Hybrid Ardent/Vampire 6

Status: Initiative: +7, Passive perception: 19, Passive Insight: 14

AC 22 For: 17 Ref: 19 Will: 20

HP: 49/49 Bloodied: 24 Surge value: 12 Surges/day: 2

Speed: 7 squares (6 bloodied), Languages: Common, Elven
Action Point: 1
Power Points: 2

Powers:
Energizing Strike
Dark Beckoning
Taste of Life

[]Blood Drinker
[]Surefooted Stride
[]Ardent Surge
[]Sympathetic Agony
[]
Mercurial Mind
[]
Natural Terrain Understanding
[]Second Wind

[]Lingering Fury
[]Unfettered Hunger
[]Brooch of Shielding
[]Onyx Dog

Notable Effects:
+1 damage to bloodied enemies
Resist Force 10. Vulnerable Radiant 5
Allies within 5 squares get +2 to Diplomacy, Intimidate and +1 to OA damage rolls.
When bloodied, Merri gains regeneration 4, +2 to AC and saving throws. [/sblock]

FourMonos

First Post
OOC: [MENTION=87106]MetaVoid[/MENTION] It looks like you're the only one left to post. Please note that we have all chosen discretion instead of charging in face first. I know this goes against your monk instincts, but I just wanted to point it out before you posted...

OOC: Thanks for the warning, I wouldn't charge alone thank you very much :) That said, I was sure I posted something along "What?! Dinner, are you crazy? They're orcs, of course, they are hostile" after neurotics post. Now I see it's not there :(

"What?! Dinner, are you crazy?" he looks incredulously at the sorcerer. "They're orcs, of course, they are hostile."

[sblock=Actions]
Move and minor: ready weapons Ki sickle and prime shot dagger
Standard: ready charge against first orc that comes within range AFTER Papolstaanas charges
[/sblock]

ToDO: stat block soon

Son of Meepo

First Post
The half-troll charges forward, drool dripping from its sharp teeth.

Papolstaanas and Drew rush up to meet it. The kobold's strike is a bit off target, but Drew manages to find it's side even in dim light of dusk.

The orcs with the flaming pots move up cautiously and then toss the pots behind Pap and Drew causing an explosion of burning pitch.

The rest of the orcs rush around surrounding Pap and Drew spinning their glaives in a deadly whirlwind that leaves the heroes quite bloodied and on their backs.

[sblock=actions]Half-Troll
Moves to Q9

Papolstaanas (Readied Action)
Charges to P8
Triggered Charge (Overwhelming Strike) (1d20+12+1=20, 1d8+5=6)
Result: Miss

Drew (Readied Action)
Charge to P9
Triggered Charge (Unarmed MBA) (1d20+14+1-2=25, 1d8+6=13)
Result: Hit for 13 damage.

Half-Troll
Claws Drew
Claw (Drew) (1d20+13=21, 2d6+9=21)
Result: Miss

Orc Artillery 1
Move to Y8
Throws a Fire Bomb behind Pap (Area Burst 1)
Fire Bomb (Pap, Drew) (1d8+5=9, 1d20+9=23, 1d20+9=20)
Result: Hit Pap for 9 fire, Miss Drew

Orc Artillery 2
Move to Y10
Throws a Fire Bomb behind Drew (Area Burst 1)
Fire Bomb (Pap, Drew) (1d8+5=6, 1d20+9=27, 1d20+9=22)
Result: Hit Pap for 6 fire, Hit Drew for 6 fire

Orc Brute 1
Move to Q3
Charge to O7 (Makes a close burst 2 attack at the end of the charge)
Charging Sweep (Pap, Drew) (2d10+5=21, 1d20+10+1+2=24, 1d20+10+1=15)
Result: Miss Pap for 10, Miss Drew for 10

Orc Brute 2
Move to T10
Charge to Q10 (Makes a close burst 2 attack at the end of the charge)
Charging Sweep (Pap, Drew) (2d10+5=17, 1d20+10+1=26, 1d20+10+1=30)
Result: Hit Pap for 17 and knocked prone, Hit Drew for 17 and knocked prone
Pap gains 4 temp hp.

Orc Brute 3
Move to Q14
Charge to O10 (Makes a close burst 2 attack at the end of the charge)
Charging Sweep (Pap, Drew) (2d10+5=16, 1d20+10+1=24, 1d20+10+1=13)
Result: Miss Pap for 8, Miss Drew for 8

Orc Brute 4
Move to T6
Charge to Q7 (Makes a close burst 2 attack at the end of the charge)
Charging Sweep (Pap, Drew) (2d10+5=11, 1d20+10+1=26, 1d20+10+1=20)
Result: Hit Pap for 11, Miss Drew for 5[/sblock]

GM: @MetaVoid: Since the only target for Iron Wolf Charge would have been the half-troll, I didn't think it was worth using. It wouldn't have changed much since the troll would have charged to the same square and still missed.
@Neurotic : I wasn't sure if Illarion would target his allies with attacks (or how receptive they would be), so for now he has not taken the readied action, so feel free to take it now with your regular turn.

MAP

Last edited:

OOC: I'm fine with not using Iron Wolf Charge, but I WILL use Flurry of Blows (due to internalize basic kata) and add ongoing 8 to the half-troll and slide him to P10

The monk flows over the terrain and strikes at the half troll with great flying round kick, pushing the troll between his comrades, raking great bleeding wound across the beings chest.
[sblock=Draconic]
"The dragon swoops from the clouds."
[/sblock]

Even as he's landing, he focuses his mind and pulse of power blasts away from him riplling the earth like the mountain landed and not slight monk. Earth wave knocks those around him prone as he turns toward those pot throwers.
[sblock="Draconic"]
"The dragon lands among his prey."
[/sblock]

"Here you go, sorcerer, blast away!"

[sblock=Actions]
Move: stand up
Standard: Eternal Mountain vs Fort(OB3; HT; OB2); damage (1d20+11=24, 1d20+11=24, 1d20+11=30, 2d8+7+1=22) - those hit are prone, Drew gets +1 AC & Ref, when they stand up they provoke OA from Drew
Free: Flurry of blows adds 8 ongoing to OB2, no slide, whenever an enemy fails a saving throw against this ongoing, Drew gets 5 temp hp
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads