Please help me remember a song

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Sometimes Google just can't answer questions from vague memories.

I'm trying to remember the name of a song from several years ago, (maybe ~10 or more?). It's a R&B/Soul song, by a black, male singer. The music video shows a plane crash, and the singer is leaving the scene in a car with a white-haired, white family. The story is he was on the crashing plane trying to call his wife.

My mom and I are R&B/Soul fans, and I was trying to tell her about this song, but I can't remember the name. And I've tried Google, but my vague memory just doesn't give me a solid phrase to search with.

Thanks,
Bullgrit

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Let's see if we can jog your memory a bit- do you recall if:

1) the song was a hit or was it one of those deeper cuts?

2) was the singer a major figure- Maxwell, Musiq Soulchild, etc.- or a second-tier artist?

3) was the video connected to the lyrical contact or was it independent of them?

Bullgrit

Adventurer
1) the song was a hit or was it one of those deeper cuts?
-- It was a hit. Was the crossover hit for the artist, I think. Possibly a one-hit wonder outside the R&B/Soul genre.

2) was the singer a major figure- Maxwell, Musiq Soulchild, etc.- or a second-tier artist?
-- My knowledge of major figures is 20+ years old. The above names aren't ringing a bell with me right now. The artist I'm trying to remember, I couldn't say.

3) was the video connected to the lyrical contact or was it independent of them?
-- I don't remember well. I don't think the song told the video story, but was a "generic" love song. But the video struck me.

The above answers may be absolutely wrong. The artist may be a huge name with an extensive discography. But without being able to remember his name . . . I can't remember anything about him. I'm sure as soon as I remember his name, I'll be all "Oh! Yeah! Of course!"

Something else that just came to me: the song was a numbered list. "One. . . something something. Two . . . something something." Etc.

When I was trying to tell my mom about this song, hoping she might recognize it, she kept naming off artists like James Ingram, Quincy Jones, Bill Withers. I said, "Mom, I'm talking 10 years ago, not 30-plus years ago."

Bullgrit

Bullgrit

Adventurer
El Mahdi -- Brian McKnight! Yes. I haven't even looked at the video you posted yet, but that's his name. Yes. Thank you. Back at One -- I'm off to iTunes to purchase.

Bullgrit

Last edited:

Remove ads