• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Please help me remember a song

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Sometimes Google just can't answer questions from vague memories.

I'm trying to remember the name of a song from several years ago, (maybe ~10 or more?). It's a R&B/Soul song, by a black, male singer. The music video shows a plane crash, and the singer is leaving the scene in a car with a white-haired, white family. The story is he was on the crashing plane trying to call his wife.

My mom and I are R&B/Soul fans, and I was trying to tell her about this song, but I can't remember the name. And I've tried Google, but my vague memory just doesn't give me a solid phrase to search with.

Thanks,
Bullgrit

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Let's see if we can jog your memory a bit- do you recall if:

1) the song was a hit or was it one of those deeper cuts?

2) was the singer a major figure- Maxwell, Musiq Soulchild, etc.- or a second-tier artist?

3) was the video connected to the lyrical contact or was it independent of them?

Bullgrit

Adventurer
1) the song was a hit or was it one of those deeper cuts?
-- It was a hit. Was the crossover hit for the artist, I think. Possibly a one-hit wonder outside the R&B/Soul genre.

2) was the singer a major figure- Maxwell, Musiq Soulchild, etc.- or a second-tier artist?
-- My knowledge of major figures is 20+ years old. The above names aren't ringing a bell with me right now. The artist I'm trying to remember, I couldn't say.

3) was the video connected to the lyrical contact or was it independent of them?
-- I don't remember well. I don't think the song told the video story, but was a "generic" love song. But the video struck me.

The above answers may be absolutely wrong. The artist may be a huge name with an extensive discography. But without being able to remember his name . . . I can't remember anything about him. I'm sure as soon as I remember his name, I'll be all "Oh! Yeah! Of course!"

Something else that just came to me: the song was a numbered list. "One. . . something something. Two . . . something something." Etc.

When I was trying to tell my mom about this song, hoping she might recognize it, she kept naming off artists like James Ingram, Quincy Jones, Bill Withers. I said, "Mom, I'm talking 10 years ago, not 30-plus years ago."

Bullgrit

Bullgrit

Adventurer
El Mahdi -- Brian McKnight! Yes. I haven't even looked at the video you posted yet, but that's his name. Yes. Thank you. Back at One -- I'm off to iTunes to purchase.

Bullgrit

Last edited:

Remove ads