Let's Play #6 4e WOTC DMG Kobold Hall The adventure continues... NOW WITH PICS OF THE PCs

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Well, my present campaign (see Sig for Story Hour) is sorta on hold- although I've still got plenty to write up so I'll continue with that. Truth be told the campaign has been going slow for a good while, although there's a very good chance we'll get back on with it sometime soon (in 2-3 months probably), and so I was casting about looking for other things D&D to do...

Then it occurred to me that I/we used to play a lot more D&D, before we started the present campaign, mostly just one-off games or else- well, a bunch of stuff- and with different players. Furthermore because I'm an anally retentive bugger I realised I still have all my notes from these sessions- I'm an obsessive note-taker.

So, quick as a flash, I got together another bunch of players and we got back to playing one-off style games, like we did before.

This then is not so much a Story Hour, not in the sense that it's a narrative from the players or DMs POV, but rather a bunch of notes and tall tales, encompassing much of the action, about the games we played- from before we started the present campaign, and since we've been on hold.

I've decided to call this series- Let's Play [Insert Name of Scenario] because it sounds good(-ish).

The other positive thing about me stumbling upon all these notes is that I've also been able to get back in touch with a few players from back then, several of them have returned to the table, odd-shaped dice in hand, ready to kick ass once more.

As always if you have any comments then don't hesitate to get involved.

Last edited:

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Let's Play #6 DMG Kobold Hall (Level 1)

This is a strange one, or else not strange, just different. For some considerable time our games of D&D, played at the various abodes of the players, have had a variety of watchers, or onlookers, make that would-be dice rollers.

My players have children, not all of them, and some of them more than others; certainly enough for an adventuring party, and so it proved.

I don’t remember whose idea it was, certainly not mine- I’ve DMed kids before, see “The Lost Boys” one of my earlier story hours. This time around however every child came with his or helper, for some this was a necessity, for others a burden.

And so we have-

PC's
Mr. Benn, Male Human Cleric 1 (Played by Alfie aged 9)
Harann, Female Dragonborn Fighter 1 (Played by Spider* aged about 4)
Varis, Male Elf Ranger 1 (Played by Luka aged 9 or 10)
Quarion, Male Eladrin Rogue 1 (Played by Leena aged 11 or 12)
Bharash, Male Dragonborn Warlord 1 (Played by Fred aged 13)

None of the kids had played D&D before, and I’m sure none of them will ever want to play it again- actually that’s not true.

As a precursor to the scenario, The Kobold Hall- from the DM’s Guide, the kids were each given an A4 sheet of paper with a drawing of a Kobold on it, a different Kobold for each of them. Their task was to name the Kobold depicted and to colour them in, of course; I got the images from the internet- all B&W drawings in various styles- alas the images are lost to time. These guys served as the boss Kobolds for the encounters in the Kobold Hall, part of a gang that are wanted by the authorities- each with a reward upon their head, for their capture or else destruction.

I don’t remember where the actual PCs came from, they could have been pregens, or else they could have been originals created by the players with a little help from their adult handlers.

And so “The Young Ones” set out from Fallcrest one fine day to the Kobold Hall, the short journey is without mishap. The guys eventually find a well used set of stairs hidden by foliage in a stand of trees; the steps lead down in to darkness.

The kids pile in, in search of adventure.

*Spider is not really called Spider, Spider is in fact his special D&D name...

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter

The PC's

Mr. Benn, Male Human Cleric 1 (Played by Alfie aged 9)
Harann, Female Dragonborn Fighter 1 (Played by Spider aged about 4)
Varis, Male Elf Ranger 1 (Played by Luka aged 9 or 10)
Quarion, Male Eladrin Rogue 1 (Played by Leena aged 11 or 12)
Bharash, Male Dragonborn Warlord 1 (Played by Fred aged 13)

I’ve lost the various Character Builder files for all of the PCs in this scenario. So, I’ve recreated them below on the CB, although when we played this scenario I don’t remember Themes being used. I’ve done the best I can.

Mr. Benn (Played by Alfie aged 9)

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Benn, level 1
Human, Cleric (Templar)
Build: Devoted Cleric
Cleric Option: Healer's Lore
Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort
Born Under a Bad Sign (Born Under a Bad Sign Benefit)
Theme: Ordained Priest

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 10, DEX 10, INT 8, WIS 20, CHA 14

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 10, DEX 10, INT 8, WIS 18, CHA 14

AC: 16 Fort: 11 Ref: 11 Will: 18
HP: 32 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 8

TRAINED SKILLS
Diplomacy +7, Heal +12, History +4, Insight +10, Religion +4

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics –1, Arcana –1, Athletics –1, Bluff +2, Dungeoneering +5, Endurance –1, Intimidate +2, Nature +5, Perception +5, Stealth –1, Streetwise +2, Thievery –1

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Ordained Priest Attack: Shining Symbol
Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort
Cleric Feature: Divine Fortune
Cleric Feature: Turn Undead
Cleric Utility: Healing Word
Cleric Attack 1: Lance of Faith
Cleric Attack 1: Sacred Flame
Cleric Attack 1: Divine Glow
Cleric Attack 1: Beacon of Hope

FEATS
Level 1: Combat Medic
Level 1: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Human Perseverance

ITEMS
Ritual Book
Comprehend Language
Comrades' Succor
Chainmail x1
Adventurer's Kit
Holy Symbol x1
Morningstar x1
Javelin
====== End ======

Harann (Played by Spider aged about 4)

Harann, level 1
Dragonborn, Fighter (Weaponmaster)
Build: Great Weapon Fighter
Fighter Option: Combat Superiority
Fighter Talents Option: Two-handed Weapon Talent
Dragonborn Racial Power Option: Dragon Breath
Dragon Breath Key Ability: Dragon Breath Strength
Dragon Breath Damage Type: Dragon Breath Acid
Theme: Outlaw

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 20, CON 11, DEX 10, INT 10, WIS 14, CHA 10

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 18, CON 11, DEX 10, INT 10, WIS 14, CHA 8

AC: 17 Fort: 17 Ref: 10 Will: 12
HP: 35 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 8

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +10, Endurance +5, Intimidate +7

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +0, Arcana +0, Bluff +0, Diplomacy +0, Dungeoneering +2, Heal +2, History +2, Insight +2, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion +0, Stealth +0, Streetwise +0, Thievery +0

POWERS
Outlaw Attack: Surprise Strike
Dragonborn Racial Power: Dragon Breath
Fighter Attack: Combat Challenge
Fighter Attack 1: Cleave
Fighter Attack 1: Tide of Iron
Fighter Attack 1: Steel Serpent Strike
Fighter Attack 1: Villain's Menace

FEATS
Level 1: Heavy Blade Expertise

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit
Javelin
Scale Armor x1
Greatsword x1
====== End ======

Varis (Played by Luka aged 9 or 10)

Varis, level 1
Elf, Ranger
Build: Archer Ranger
Harper Pin Option: Tymora's Luck
Fighting Style Option: Archer Fighting Style
Ranger Option: Prime Shot
Theme: Harper Agent

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 11, DEX 20, INT 10, WIS 16, CHA 8

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 11, DEX 18, INT 10, WIS 14, CHA 8

AC: 18 Fort: 11 Ref: 16 Will: 13
HP: 32 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 8

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +4, Heal +8, Nature +10, Perception +10, Stealth +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +4, Arcana +0, Bluff –1, Diplomacy –1, Dungeoneering +3, Endurance –1, History +0, Insight +3, Intimidate –1, Religion +0, Streetwise –1, Thievery +4

POWERS
Elf Racial Power: Elven Accuracy
Hunter's Quarry Power: Hunter's Quarry
Ranger Attack 1: Nimble Strike
Ranger Attack 1: Twin Strike
Ranger Attack 1: Evasive Strike
Ranger Attack 1: Split the Tree

FEATS
Defensive Mobility
Level 1: Bow Expertise

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit
Harper Pin
Hide Armor x1
Longbow x1
Longsword
====== End ======

Quarion (Played by Leena aged 11 or 12)

Quarion, level 1
Eladrin, Rogue (Scoundrel)
Build: Trickster Rogue
Rogue Tactics Option: Cunning Sneak
Rogue Option: Scoundrel Weapon Talent
Theme: Mercenary

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 11, DEX 20, INT 12, WIS 8, CHA 14

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 11, DEX 18, INT 10, WIS 8, CHA 14

AC: 17 Fort: 10 Ref: 17 Will: 13
HP: 32 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 8

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +10, Bluff +7, History +8, Perception +4, Stealth +10, Streetwise +7, Thievery +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +3, Athletics +0, Diplomacy +2, Dungeoneering –1, Endurance +0, Heal –1, Insight –1, Intimidate +2, Nature –1, Religion +1

POWERS
Mercenary Attack: Takedown Strike
Eladrin Racial Power: Fey Step
Rogue Attack 1: Deft Strike
Rogue Attack 1: Sly Flourish
Rogue Attack 1: Positioning Strike
Rogue Attack 1: Blinding Barrage

FEATS
Level 1: Backstabber

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit
Leather Armor x1
Dagger x12
====== End ======

Bharash (Played by Fred aged 13)

Bharash, level 1
Dragonborn, Warlord (Marshal)
Build: Inspiring Warlord
Warlord Option: Combat Leader
Commanding Presence Option: Inspiring Presence
Dragonborn Racial Power Option: Dragon Breath
Dragon Breath Key Ability: Dragon Breath Strength
Dragon Breath Damage Type: Dragon Breath Fire
Theme: Chevalier

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 20, CON 11, DEX 10, INT 10, WIS 8, CHA 16

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 18, CON 11, DEX 10, INT 10, WIS 8, CHA 14

AC: 17 Fort: 16 Ref: 11 Will: 14
HP: 32 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 8

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +9, Heal +4, History +7, Intimidate +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics –1, Arcana +0, Bluff +3, Diplomacy +3, Dungeoneering –1, Endurance –1, Insight –1, Nature –1, Perception –1, Religion +0, Stealth –1, Streetwise +3, Thievery –1

POWERS
Chevalier Attack: Valiant Charge
Dragonborn Racial Power: Dragon Breath
Warlord Feature: Inspiring Word
Warlord Attack 1: Viper's Strike
Warlord Attack 1: Wolf Pack Tactics
Warlord Attack 1: Guarding Attack
Warlord Attack 1: Bastion of Defense

FEATS
Level 1: Heavy Blade Expertise

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit
Chainmail x1
Longsword x1
Light Shield x1
Javelin
====== End ======

Last edited:

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter

Session 1.

Encounter #1 The Sludge Pit (Area 1.)

[sblock=The Map]

The Kobold Hall

Area 1. The Sludge Pit​

[/sblock]

Quarion and Varis head down the stairs and in to the shadows; this after Harann the dragonborn fighter is eventually persuaded that he is too ‘clunky’ to sneak about.

The pair enter a much larger chamber, time has not been kind to the place- the stonework is crumbling and the flagged floor is cracked and broken; moss, mould and fungi have found homes here.

The elf and the eladrin don’t head too far in; just enough to spy out the chamber, as best they can- there’s little light here. The pair head back up the stairs a short while later to report their findings.

“There’s a kobold over the far side- I think it’s armed with a sling.” Quarion reports, a minute later the adventurers are better informed- they now know what a sling is (remember these are kids, none of them knew what a sling was).

“There’s another one of the bad dudes behind some kind of fence (a portcullis, actually), he thinks he’s hiding, but he’s not- I spotted him.” Varis states.

“Oh and in the centre of the chamber is a great big hole, a pit.” Quarion finishes.

A minute or so later the sneaky pair are back in position at the bottom of the stairs, ready for action- the other guys have moved a little further down the stairs- ready to rush in to the room.

Ten seconds later and Varis gives the agreed signal.

“Time to kick ass!” Varis shouts (and is told off by his dad).

Bad Guys 200 XP Level 1 Encounter
Kobold Skirmisher Level 1 Skirmisher (beyond the portcullis)
Kobold Slinger Level 1 Artillery

[sblock=The Monster Manual]

[/sblock]

Varis steps in to the chamber and fires an arrow; it flies true, and thumps in to the kobold slinger’s chest, the short reptilian humanoid staggers and bleeds. Moments later Quarion’s dagger, at long range, spins out and thuds in to the kobold’s gut- the slinger gasps his last words.

“Oh boobies!"

Then flops to the floor dead.

We take a short break in game for cheering and high fives.

Mr. Benn, Bharash and Harann move forward, two of the three get closer to the pit, ostensibly to find out what’s inside.

“What’s in there?” Varis shouts over.
“Pooh!” The pair shout back in unison, actually the pit seems to contain sludge of some description, but ‘pooh’ is close enough- it stinks.

Another kobold skirmisher pokes its head around a corner over on the far side of the chamber; the kobold screeches the alarm, a little too late of course.

“Smellyheads!” The skirmisher shouts in warning.

Varis takes a few more strides in to the chamber, his next shot is a difficult one, the elf aims at the kobold skirmisher beyond the metal gate (portcullis), and fires- two shots with his Twin Strike, the skirmisher is struck once on the shoulder.

Harann rushes on- past Varis and to the portcullis, the dragonborn bends down and with all her might attempts to raise the metal gate (still a portcullis).

“Lumpy Gravy!” Harann yells, which takes everyone by surprise.

At this point I dig out the nicely coloured in picture of the Kobold Skirmisher- named, of course, Lumpy Gravy.

Lumpy Gravy as it turns out is a fearsome kobold bandit (actually a Level 1 Kobold Skirmisher), Lumpy is wanted for cow-tipping and stealing some cheese, the reward is 25 gold coins for his capture or death.

The portcullis slams up in to the ceiling, the kobold skirmisher beyond- Lumpy Gravy, looks terrified. Harann blows a raspberry and soaks Lumpy with her acid spit, the kobold burns- a tiny bit.

Lumpy however is not put off; the kobold grabs its spear and sticks Harann in the gut, “Gah!” Harann yells, and then growls.

Just to make this clear all of the various sound effects and lines of dialogue came direct from the players, when something good or indeed bad happens, I prompt one of the players, or their adult/parent handler to come up with a line. So when the dying slinger shouted ‘Oh boobies’ that was actually Luka’s suggestion for the kobold’s last words.

Back to the action.

The kobold skirmisher peering around the corner over the far end of the chamber is joined by a compatriot- the two creatures dash out in to the open; the first makes it over to Harann and spears the dragonborn in his bum. The second rushes at Quarion; the elf is stabbed in the belly- both hits are only minor wounds however.

“Duck!” Comes a cry from behind Lumpy, the kobold does as he’s told- beyond the creature, further on down the passage, is another kobold slinger- who slings… A ceramic flask smashes in to the wall by Harann’s head, and shatters, the contents- a great gloopy glob of glue slowly slithers down the wall.

Bharash is quickly on the spot, the second dragonborn slashes wildly with his longsword- the kobold bandit, Lumpy, is left bloodied, almost dead.

Mr. Benn, the human priest, chants and intones- Healing Words, Harann is suddenly back at full health, the priest stares hard at one of the kobold skirmishers on far side of the pit- with his Gaze of Defiance, the kobold cowers and whines, “I want my mummy!”, it’s clearly psychologically damaged.

Bad Guys 500 XP Level 1 Encounter
Kobold Skirmisher Level 1 Skirmisher x3
Kobold Slinger Level 1 Artillery x2

Varis fires his bow down the passage way again, it’s getting pretty busy down there, the first arrow flies wide, the second enters Lumpy’s right eye and lodges there.

“Big elephant doo-doo’s” Lumpy Gravy utters, with some conviction, and then flops to the floor dead.

Harann doesn’t stop however, the dragonborn rushes further down the passage and straight in to the newly revealed kobold slinger, her greatsword sways and swats- mesmerising the creature with her Steel Serpent Strike- the slinger is almost gutted. Moments later it is, with Quarion’s dagger buried hilt deep in its belly.

“Jammmmmm!” The kobold slinger yells forlornly, and then fades.

The two kobold skirmishers left in the chamber redouble their efforts, the first charges in to Bharash- the dragonborn is speared, actually only grazed by the very tip of the weapon. Bharash slices back and the skirmisher bleeds.

The second kobold attempts to push Quarion in to the great pit full of poo, the eladrin has wandered to close to the edge; however the rogue manages to keep the kobold at bay. Mr. Benn turns to stare at the offending miscreant, his Gaze of Defiance again; the young cleric sticks his tongue out and waggles it- several times.

At which point two arrows thud in to the skirmisher trying to fling Quarion in the pit, the kobold screeches, and then tumbles in to the pit- his last words, muttered while falling, ring out.

“Nooo…”

Which turns in to-

“Pooo…”

The kobold, soon after, drowns in the sea of poo.

Harann dashes forward and cuts at the final kobold with his greatsword, Quarion follows up- spinning out a dagger, a Deft Strike.

The last remaining kobold slips, slops and then slaps on to the cold stone floor; all that is left is the echo of his last words.

“Fish Fingers!”

The kobold’s are all deceased.

500 XP Level 1 Encounter

The adventurers take a short break, then mooch around the area- search the kobolds and then fling the bodies down in to what has become known as the “perilous pit of poo”, except for Lumpy Gravy who is rammed in to a sack- the adventurers need the body to claim the reward.

That done the adventurers get back in to the action, once again Varis and Quarion are sent ahead- along the passage originally blocked off by the portcullis.

They pair sneak forward.

Comment: Nice opener, getting the young players to call out battle cries, or else last words for the kobolds is proving to be cool. The players also love the idea of wanted posters for the bad guy leader-type kobolds.

Playing with kids requires much more action, and certainly a degree more intensity- explaining the outcome of every attack in more emotive and graphic ways.

None of the PCs, after the encounter, have needed to use their healing surges.

Lumpy, the kobold skirmisher has been killed; the players will collect their reward later- when they get back to Fallcrest.

Last edited:

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter

Session 1.

Encounter #2 The Tomb (Area 2.)

[sblock=The Map]

The Kobold Hall

Area 2. The Tomb​

[/sblock]

Quarion and Varis sneak in to the entrance to the chamber; the room is lit- although the torches are at the far end of the chamber, to the north. The pair settle in the shadows and take a good look around- there are four large stone coffins, each shows signs of age and repeated vandalism. There are niches set in the east wall- three of them, Quarion sneaks in a pace or two and ascertains that there are three more niches on the west wall- two of the niches hold suits of armour.

Ahead, where the torches are, is a large stone altar on a dais- neither of the pair can make out what deity the altar is dedicated to. The room is also home to three more kobolds, all of them skirmishers armed with spears.

The sneaky pair dodge back and relay the new information to the other adventurers, a minute or two later the group en masse creeps forward so they can all take it in turns to see in to the chamber, the skirmishers are far enough away.

Eventually a plan is cooked up- Quarion is sent ahead in to the chamber, the eladrin rogue keeps low and tight to the west wall, he creeps forward. He’s about fifteen feet forward when the flagstone beneath his feet wobbles and then gives way slightly.

“Oooh!” Quarion states, and then looks up- all three kobold skirmishers are staring right at him. The eladrin thinks quickly, “did one of you guys order a pizza?”

The kobolds stop, unsure quite how to respond.

Which is all the opportunity Quarion needs, “Get ‘em!”, the eladrin shouts and then steps back in to one of the alcoves- out of sight.

Bad Guys 300 XP Level 1 Encounter

[/sblock]

Varis steps out from the entrance to the chamber, bow in hand- arrow already notched, he fires and the closest kobold skirmisher suddenly clutches at its chest- blood gushes from the wound, it staggers- bloodied.

Harann suddenly dashes out of the passage and in to the chamber; she screams- “die kobold piggies!” The dragonborn dashes forward…

THUNG!

A dart flashes out across the chamber, and clatters in to the wall just behind Harann, it seemed to come from the suit of armour in a niche on the far side of the chamber.

Harann rushes on…

THUNG!
“Ahhhh- Monster Munch!”

Harann screams, her sprint slows- like she’s running through glue, eventually she comes to a complete halt- the dart still sticking out from her arm.

“Gah bottom!” Harann states, immobilised.

Quarion sees Harann suffering, the eladrin dodges out of his niche and flings a dagger, a second kobold is bloodied- clutching at its gut- the rogue ducks back in to hiding.

Bharash however takes up the cause, rushing forward yelling out “Power Extreme!” The dragonborn crashes in to the nearest kobold skirmisher, cuts at it and leaves the creature only just standing.

The kobolds, at last, react- the first two stab at Harann and Bharash, both however are off target- they scurry back after their attacks. The third skirmisher rushes in to the open, it’s Hacking Spam, a wanted bandit. Hacking Spam is responsible for a number of terrible crimes including sheep-worrying, chicken rustling and beating up a dog (a very small dog admittedly). Spam has a reward of 25gp on his head, wanted dead or alive.

I fetch out a picture to show Hacking Spam in all his glory.

The kobold bandit makes a short speech-

“Spam make slippers from your ears!” The kobold skirmisher states and then expertly dodges around the corner and in to the niche inhabited by Quarion, the eladrin is stabbed, although only a little bit, scratched would be a better description of the wound.

“Have I missed anything?” Mr. Benn rushes in to the chamber, late to the action, one of the kobolds- the one only just still standing decides enough is enough- it moves off towards the exit- a passage in the north east corner of the chamber.

It doesn’t get far.

Varis fires two more arrows, his Twin Strike, both of which strike home- plugging the kobold, which clatters to the floor, it screams out its last words- “Oh sausages!” then dies.

KER-THUNG!

The dart trap fires again, at Harann who is obviously still stood on the trigger plate- fortunately it misses. The irate dragonborn blows a raspberry- spraying the kobold skirmisher before it with her acid spit- how very lady like, the creature burns a little and then scurries back.

Bharash helps out- bathing the same kobold in his fiery Dragon’s Breath and then slashing hard at the creature with his longsword.

“Kill the long-eared elf!” Hacking Spam shouts out at his compatriot- the kobold skirmisher dodges in to the alcove, the pair slash and stab at Quarion, the eladrin is left bloodied and battered. The kobold skirmishers dodge back out of the alcove and in to the action, yapping and snarling all the while.

Mr. Benn is alas on hand- “turn the holy light on!” the cleric declares- the two remaining kobolds are bathed in his Divine Glow- Hacking Spam suddenly lights up like a well-decorated Pelormass tree. The kobold bandit screams in pain as he glows- the radiant energy burning his skin.

Mr. Benn prays and offers Healing Words- Quarion is in good health once more.

Varis manoeuvres. Staying away from the action, the elf fires again- another two arrows from his Twin Strike, the second skirmisher sinks to his knees and then face-plants the cold stone floor, but not before yelling out its dying curse…

“May your wombat get sticky jam on its paws!” Clearly the creature is confused, or else suffering. Varis’ second arrow thumps in to Hacking Spam, the last kobold skirmisher looks terrified.

And so he should.

THUNG!

Yet another dart hits Harann, the dragonborn is now badly wounded, and angry. The dragonborn spills its sword, grabs out a javelin and hurls it at Spam- the kobold manages to stop the missile however, with its face.

Hacking Spam is no more, the kobold skirmisher’s last words are- “has anyone got a plaster, I’ve got a nasty cut on my-aaarrrggghhhhhhh!”

Very poetic.

The fight is won- Harann is quickly dragged off the trap’s trigger plate, and very soon after healed.

500 XP Level 1 Encounter
Dart Trap Level 1 Blaster x2

Quarion is quickly to work, both suits of armour- in the niches, are investigated and after a short while neutralised, the traps are disarmed.

The rest of the chamber is then investigated; the altar is dedicated to Tiamat, a fearsome evil female dragon deity- Mr. Benn explains, which is all the information Bharash and Harann need- the altar is destroyed, desecrated and generally smashed apart. A full-to-the-brim bag of gold is found inside a formerly secret compartment- the adventurers are over-joyed, the kobold skirmishers also have a little treasure.

Hacking Spam is obviously stuffed in to a sack; the dead kobold is worth money back in Fallcrest.

There’s nothing else to find of any worth alas.

Comment: A convincing victory and the kids are getting the swing of things, although some of them seem to know no fear- they certainly (some of them) rush in to things. The fearlessness (and impetuosity) of youth is ideally demonstrated here- Haran (played by Spider- aged 4) rushes forward and triggers the first trap- the trap’s attack is played out- a miss, she rushes on. The fact that there could be a second trap in her path was not even considered. The kids certainly cut to the chase, heaven help me if one of their PCs takes a real nasty hit and ends up dead.

Last edited:

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter

Session 1.

Encounter #3 Skull-Skull! (Area 3.)

[sblock=The Map]

The Kobold Hall

Area 3. Skull-Skull!​

[/sblock]

Once again Quarion is sent ahead, the eladrin sneaks down yet another dark passage, and then down a flight of stairs- the other adventurers keep their distance but follow on, cautiously.

There’s a chamber ahead- Quarion edges to a corner and leans in, spies out the room beyond- there are another four sarcophagi in the centre, arranged around a pit- the eladrin cannot see what lies within the pit however.

Over the far side of the chamber, a good fifty or so feet to the north, are two ledges- each about ten feet up from the floor of the chamber, between the ledges a pair of sturdy looking doors. The ledges, alas, are inhabited- more kobolds, Quarin spies another pair of slingers, and some others, at least another two of the small reptilian creatures, he identifies them- minions.

The eladrin edges back out of the room and heads back to his compatriots, he tells his tale, several minutes later the group have made their way to Quarion’s spying spot- they each take it in turns to check out the landscape, Varis is certain there are at least three minions present.

The entire situation presents a problem for the adventurers, how to get up on to the ledges- or else through the doors…

Varis and Quarion decide to head in, to creep forward to the sarcophagi, hide behind them and see if there’s anything else they can spot.

Things do not go to plan alas.

One of the kobold’s points down at Varis and screams- “silly ears!”, which is clearly the kobold term for an elf.

Bad Guys 275 XP Level 1 Encounter
Kobold Minion Level 1 Minion x3

[/sblock]

Varis, stands tall- his bow already in hand and arrow notched, the elf has been seen, he shrugs and then fires- two arrows, another Twin Strike, both strike home and the screaming kobold slinger is left teetering on the brink- in more ways than one. The slinger just manages not to plunge off the ledge, it staggers and looks at the slick of blood it has lost- it also teeters on the brink between life and death.

Varis played by Luka rolls maximum damage for both arrows- there are delighted screams around the table.

The kobolds however are not about to give up.

One of the minions has something odd grasped in its hands, a large stone- of sorts, but hang on- the stone is attached to a rope- the stone must have a hole in it, the rope is attached to… Varis and Quarion look up, to somewhere on the ceiling a little way forward from where they stand.

The kobold minion lets go of the stone, which swings out like some giant conker- where is…

The stone catches Varis a glancing blow, still enough to knock the elf ten feet or so backwards. The kobolds on the ledge giggle furiously, to a reptile they all scream, in unison, “Skull! Skull!”
“Four points.” Another kobold declares.

The stone conker swings back towards the ledges and is slowed, caught and grasped by a different kobold minion, in the same moment a pair of javelins sail out, there are now four minions on the ledges- two on each; one of the javelins catches Varis- only a scratch however.

And again the swinging stone conker comes, this time catching Quarion, the eladrin is also sent skittering back- the kobolds have got the hang of this game.

Bad Guys 300 XP Level 1 Encounter
Kobold Minion Level 1 Minion x4

Quarion winks at Varis, the eladrin has a plan it seems- he heads forward at speed, and… blinks out of existence, only to reappear up on left-hand ledge, next to the staggering, almost dead, slinger.

Quarion winks again, this time at the kobold, and then stabs… or at least he would have done, if he had his dagger in hand, which he hasn’t- he’s holding a banana, half-eaten, who knows how that got there. Quarion smudges and smushes the fruit against the slinger’s leather armour- the creatures atop the ledge are a little confused.
“You wanna give us froot?” A minion asks.

That’s what happens when you roll a ‘1’.

Mr. Benn rushes in to the room, gets as far in as he can and then shouts out- “turn the holy light on!” The left hand ledge is bathed in a golden light- the badly injured kobold slinger frazzles and burns, as does one of the minions- the pair flop to the floor and expire, simultaneously and in chorus screaming out their last word- “spongebob!”

On the other ledge a kobold slinger, identified by a screaming Varis as Reggie Shuttlecock- another miscreant with a bounty on its head, 25gp for a variety of crimes including cat-wrestling and stealing an old lady’s hat. Reggie whirls up a storm and fires, a ceramic pot smashes in to Varis, the elf is left bleeding and covered in glue- he can’t move, he’s immobilised.

Seconds later, and last on the scene, the screaming dragonborn’s come rushing in to the chamber- more or less ignoring all of the action and the other inhabitants of the chamber, the pair make their way over to the doors as fast as they can.

But not before Varis, who is still immobilised, can fire again- one arrow misses but the second strikes the remaining kobold slinger, Reggie, square in the chest- it coughs up blood and staggers, clearly unwell. Varis grins and at last rips his feet free of the glue- the elf ducks down beneath one of the sarcophagi.

Back up on the left ledge Quarion is speared by the kobold minion- the only kobold left alive on this ledge, although a minion from the ledge on the right rushes over to support its fellow. Quarion stabs back, only… it turns out to be another banana.

Leena, who plays Quarion, rolls her second ‘1’ in a row- she’s going through her packed lunch quite quickly now, also she should stop putting fruit in her weapon scabbards.

The other minion on the ledge to the right launches a javelin at Bharash, the dragonborn are still charging through the chamber towards the doors, it misses. Mr. Benn sees his opportunity and gets closer, meets the minion’s stare- with his Gaze of Defiance, the kobold wilts and then leaps forwards. Moments later it thumps in to the cold stone floor dead, although not before it gets to shout its last words- “it was going to be chicken tonight… chicken tonight.”

Reggie, the remaining kobold slinger is still however in the action- another missile flies out from his sling, a stone this time, and thumps in to Varis who is looking up from his hiding place- the elf is bloodied.

Bharash and Harann smash in to the double doors- at full pelt; the portals are flung open to reveal- a pair of large reptiles, guard drakes.

Bad Guys 550 XP Level 1 Encounter
Drake Guard Level 2 Brute x2

[/sblock]

The drake’s rush forward- snarling and biting at the dragonborn pair, miraculously both manage to dodge the drake’s attacks, Bharash has the wherewithal to unleash a fan of flickering flames, scorching- only slightly, both of the drakes.

Varis climbs up on to the sarcophagi he was hiding behind, he can see over the heads of the dragonborn and in to the passage beyond, he fires- two arrows again, his Twin Strike; one of the guard drakes roars as it sprouts an arrow.

Up on the left ledge Quarion continues to go toe-to-toe with a fiendish attacker- a kobold minion, the creature has kept him at bay so far, and continues to do so. The other remaining kobold minion- which was rushing to help its friend decides to take a new direction, it drops back behind the guard drakes, grabs out a javelin and flings it- Harann is grazed.

The female dragonborn fighter grins- “is that all you’ve got?” Harann yells at the kobold, and is then savaged by the guard drake before it. The reptile bites and hangs on to the dragonborn’s leg- rips and tears, smashing bones and severing muscles; Harann screams bloodied, nearly unconscious.

“Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!”

Spider, who plays Harann, and is only 4 years old is mortified, actually what he’s doing is screaming blue-murder. He’s not happy.

The second drake attempts to savage Bharash but fails to connect- Harann however manages to lash out and cut it with his greatsword. Moments later the first drake is scorched by Sacred Flames, Mr. Benn mutters holy word- Healing Words, and Harann is suddenly much healthier.

Bharash gets in to the action, the dragonborn warlord cuts with his longsword and one of the guard drakes is bloodied, not finished he shouts out some Inspiring Words- “always wear clean underpants!” Quarion is instantly buoyed by this thought, and left much healthier.

Harann raspberries up a spray of spittle, acid spittle- both drakes burn a little, the fighter follows up with her greatsword but is off target.

The fight gets frantic, Varis fires again and hits with both arrows, yet another Twin Strike, the first drake collapses and expires, impressed Varis fires again at the remaining drake, and scores another hit, although this beast is still fairly healthy.

Quarion is stabbed, he stabs back- the kobold minion is ended, the elf moves off, down a short flight of stairs and in to the area beyond the formerly closed doors. The rogue finds himself positioned between the remaining guard drake, and the remaining kobold.

Mr. Benn moves forward, in to the doorway, the priest stares at the last guard drake- his Gaze of Defiance, the drake’s resolve withers, it’s left bloodied and scared.

Bharash and Harann continue to battle the drake, Harann’s Steel Serpent Strike leaves it almost broken, Varis’ Twin Strike finishes it off.

Quarion continues his rush across the passage and up to the other ledge, the home of Reggie Shuttlecock- the slinger is stabbed, and cut down- the bandit yells out its final words.

“I wanted to be a… ice cream man!”

Thanks Spider for ice cream man.

Benn, Harann and Bharash meanwhile chase after the last remaining kobold- the final kobold minion which is racing off, trying to get away- it fails, Bharash cuts it down, it screams its last-

“Ya got me punk!”

The fight is over.

650 XP Level 1 Encounter
Trap- Skull Skull Stone Level 1 Blaster

There’s a pile of treasure on the left-hand ledge, in a sack- clearly the kobold’s share of the spoils- gold coins and gem stones, the adventurers are rich. Once again the chamber and its inhabitants are searched- the pit is found to contain ‘pooh’, or else some sort of sludge; the kobolds have a few coins each, a little while later and the chamber is cleared.

Comment: Close call with Harann, played by Spider, she was down to 2 hit points there. I like the way the encounters are paying a little harder each time- some of the kids have got the hang of attacking by now, that’s not to say they’re making any mistakes- their ‘adult’ handlers (parents) are keeping the action going with plenty of prompts.

As previously the kids came up with the various dying words et al.

Last edited:

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter

Session 1.

Encounter #4 The Big Boss (Area 4.)

[sblock=The Map]

The Kobold Hall

Area 4. The Big Boss​

[/sblock]

Once again Quarion and Varis are sent forward, down another dark passage way which opens up, it’s now ten feet wide; a little way ahead is a T-junction. The other members of the group move up to the junction- there’s little yet to be seen, although both passages seem to open up a little way ahead, Quarion heads one way, Varis the other.

Quarion suddenly yelps, the eladrin rogue creeps up the left hand passage and then peers around in to an open area, alas it’s at this point the a flapping flying drake- a spiretop, spots him. The creature squawks a warning.

Bad Guys 100 XP Level 1 Encounter
Drake Spiretop Level 1 Skirmisher

[/sblock]

Several things happen at once.

Varis suddenly appears at Quarion’s shoulder- bow drawn, arrow notched; the elf fires and thumps two arrows in to the spiretop drake, which yelps in pain.

At the same moment there’s a huge crashing sound, the ground lurches and dust and dirt fall from the myriad cracks in the ceiling of the chamber- the crash is followed by a rumbling sound.

“What the…” Quarion starts ask a ten foot diameter stone boulder lurches around the corner ahead of Varis and the rogue.

At the same time Bharash rushes in to the chamber and hard right, down the other passage- the dragonborn moves out in to an empty chamber, there’s a ledge a little way ahead- empty.

Quarion however spots something, it seems the wall he’s leaning against is only ten or so feet high, the ceiling is much higher- there’s room up there, which would get him out of the way of the boulder. The rogue blinks out of existence and reappears on top of the wall.

“Pancakes! I mean Kobolds!” Quarion yells and points furiously, the central area of the chamber is hollow- a room, to be exact a room full of kobolds, there’s also another ledge over the far side- it’s inhabited, more kobolds including…

“Pancakes!” Quarion shouts again, and sure enough it is- Arthur Pancakes, a real nasty piece of work- the mastermind, some say, behind the kobold bandits. Pancakes is also wanted dead or alive, there’s a 50gp reward on his head, the kobold is responsible for some terrible deeds including goldfish juggling, gingerist graffiti, and hijacking an emergency shipment of catfood.

“Pancakes!” Quarion yells again, for good measure.

Bad Guys 850 XP Level 4 Encounter
Kobold Dragonshield Level 2 Soldier x2
Kobold Wyrmpriest Level 3 Artillery
Trap- Rolling Boulder Level 3 Blaster

[/sblock]

The eladrin lets loose a spray of daggers, a Blinding Barrage of blades- both slingers are caught in the blast, the first is left almost defeated, staggering and bloodied; the second is hurt badly- both are left blinded and covered in blood.

The drake launches itself at Varis, who ducks just in time, at the same moment a kobold dragonshield rushes out to face Bharash, the reptilian slashes hard and cuts the dragonborn.

The blinded kobold slingers sling- needless to say they are way off target, Quarion however is not safe- on the ledge opposite the kobold wyrmpriest, Pancakes, who chants and points out its staff, a freezing ball of power slams in to the eladrin who shivers and shakes furiously. The wyrmpriest however is not done, it chants in draconic-

“I believe in miracles- you sexy thing!” The other kobolds feel loved, and much healthier- Pancakes Incites Faith in his followers.

Mr. Benn at last gets in to the action, dodging in to the left hand chamber and away from the boulder, the priest glances sternly at the spiretop drake- his Gaze of Defiance, the cowed drake is left bloodied.

Harann rushes in, and around, and around- following a pointing Quarion, to the far ledge atop which the wyrmpriest stands directing operations- the dragonborn charges, at the last moment the second kobold dragonshield steps out of the shadows and blocks her charge, although it suffers and is sliced.

Varies dodges out of the way of the boulder at the last moment, turns and fires twice, the drake is hit twice and flops down on to the cold stone floor- dead. The elf manoeuvres and gets another arrow notched; he fires again, this time at the wyrmpriest- but is way off target.

The boulder rolls on, following the path around the central chamber- the stones in this area are broken and chipped- it seems this is the path it follows.

Bharash slashes and cuts, takes a huge chunk out of the kobold he is facing, not content he bathes the reptilian in fire, although the kobold is still not bloodied. It has plenty of energy left, certainly enough to slash at the dragonborn and leaves him bloodied.

Quarion still has a job to do, he throws not one but two daggers down in to the central chamber, one for each of the blind slingers there, the eladrin is deadly accurate, both are slain.

The pair offer up their last thoughts on life-
“I’m going underground… I’m going underground…” The first offers.
The second makes gargling noises for a little while, say a minute or so, and then lies on the floor and thrashes its legs around for a while in spectacularly over-acted death throes.

Quarion leaps down from atop the wall, out of Pancake’s sight.

Atop the far ledge Harann is left bloodied also, cut by the kobold dragonshield there, and then slammed by Pancake’s freezing Energy Orb. Benn rushes to help, muttering Healing Words, Harann is seconds later back grinning and in rude health. The priest isn’t finished, he rushes on and delivers a nasty sneering Gaze of Defiance to the other dragonshield, fighting Bharash, the creature is left bloodied.

Harann also strikes back, bathing the kobolds in acid and then smashing the dragonshiedl back with her Tide of Iron- the dragonshield is bloodied, and teetering on the edge of the ledge.

Varis quickly follows Harann up the stairs, bow at the ready as usual, the elf fires- full force, his Split the Tree attack at almost point blank range…

“Big girl’s pants!” Varis yells.

Disgusted with himself Varis fires again- two more arrows.

“Very big girl’s pants!” Varis yells.

Daily attack Split the Tree, two attack rolls take the best for both attacks = ‘1’ & ‘5’, followed by an Action Point Twin Strike, two attack rolls = ‘1’ & ‘2’. Luka is fuming.

Down below the boulder rumbles by, there are no creatures in its path.

Bharash makes short work of the dragonshield it is facing, cutting the reptilian down- the dragonborn follows with a few Inspiring Words for himself- his wounds heal over.

Back on the ledge Pancakes suddenly clutches at his side- Quarion’s Sly Flourish taking the wyrmpriest unawares- although the kobold mastermind is still not yet bloodied. Pancake’s dragonshield minder slashes and cuts Harann again, the dragonborn fighter is left bloodied again. Pancakes unleashes a fan of freezing cold, his Dragon Breath, only this is a considerably more powerful affair- Varis, Harann and Quarion are all caught in the freeze. The latter is left bloodied, while Harann is left only just standing.

Mr. Benn is quickly on the scene, up the stairs behind is fellows, the priest offers more Healing Words and Harann is healthy again. Alas the priest fails to take in to account…

THUMP.

Mr. Benn is bowled down by the huge boulder, smushed against the walland left clutching on to the cold stone floor.

Varies fires, twice more- another Twin Strike, Pancakes staggers- windmills his arms, and manages to stay on the ledge, the wyrmpriest is badly injured almost spent. Bharash meantime hot foots it around the central area, making his way to the platform, Quarion has his own ideas about how to get in to the action, the eladrin leaps and grabs on to the ledge- pulls himself up.

He stabs and Pancake dies.

“Tell them about the honey, Mummy!” Pancake’s announces and then topples face-first off the ledge.

The last kobold left standing, the lone remaining dragonshield, throws down his short sword and prostrates himself before Harann.

“I am your servant Lord, I mean… Lady!” The kobold declares.

The fight is won.

850 XP Level 4 Encounter
Kobold Dragonshield Level 2 Soldier x2
Kobold Wyrmpriest Level 3 Artillery
Trap- Rolling Boulder Level 3 Blaster

The battle is over, or so the adventurers think- at first; the room is swiftly searched the adventurers discover a few coins on the kobolds. The wyrmpriest Pancake is stuffed in to a sack, the reward to be claimed later, but not before the ex-kobold’s staff is liberated, the item is a +1 Staff of the War Mage. Alas none of the adventurers can use the item, it will therefore be ‘exchanged’, or else sold back in Fallcrest.

There follows a brief chat with the dragonshield, a nice bit of roleplay for the kids- they each have to come up with a question to ask, and do the asking of course; with a little help from their minders it goes well. The adventurers are surprised to learn that the action is not yet over, it seems there’s a secret door over the far side of the chamber, where it goes the dragonshield is not sure. However the kobold is certain that Pancakes often went through the door to talk to ‘the Master.’

Dun-dun-derrrr.

Comment: A lovely encounter, some excellent play from the players combined with some terrible rolls- also for the first time the enemies took some knocking down and made a real fight of it. Harann came incredibly close to 0 hit points on a number of occasions, the players- particularly Spider were in a bit of a panic at times, they don’t like getting hurt- very protective of their PCs.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter

Session 1.

Encounter #5 The True Threat (Area 5.)

[sblock=The Map]

The Kobold Hall

Area 5. The True Threat​

[/sblock]

Rested up the adventurers make their way through the secret door pointed out by their kobold dragonshield prisoner.

In truth I had the last kobold surrender just so I could ensure that the players would get to find out about the final encounter.

The adventurers move down a passage, its cold in here, and… the floor is covered in ice, and what’s that- Bharash screams.

“DRAGON!”

The adventurers halt- ahead, at the very edge of their light, is a massive pillar of stone- one of two in the chamber, snaking around the pillar is the neck and elongated neck of a dragon- a white dragon buy the look of things.

Bad Guys 750 XP Level 3 Encounter
Dragon White Young Level 3 Solo Brute

[/sblock]

“KILL IT!” More or less all of them scream.

Quarion flings out a dagger and catches the great creature on the snout- the blade momentarily sticks in, splitting the dragon’s lip.

“Thathhh not vewy sporthhing!” The white dragon lisps, and then lurches forward- at pace, the adventurers react. Harann and Bharash charge- Mr. Benn gets a little closer to the action, the dragonborns hack and slash at the great beast, both manage to cut and scar the dragon; Mr. Benn’s Gaze of Defiance leaves the creature momentarily a tiny bit frightened of its attackers.

The moment passes very quickly.

WHOOOOOOSH

The group are engulfed in a storm of freezing fog and crackling shooting shards of ice, Mr. Benn is left quaking and numb, and very bloodied; nothing compared to Bharash however- the dragonborn warlord staggers almost unconscious. He feels… feels… nothing.

RAAAAAAAARRRGH!

The dragon rises to its full height, it must be ten or twelve feet tall balanced on its hind legs, it roars, a Frightful Presence.

Quarion, Mr. Benn and Harann are left- stunned, unable to move, to speak, to… anything.

Things are bad- really bad; I am certain I can see tears in the eyes of some of the kids- that’s four PCs out of the action (nearly). Bharash is reduced to 1 hit point, Quarion and Harann are stunned, and Mr. Benn is down to 8 hit points and is also stunned. The kids are going to have to pull out the stops to win this one.

I really am a bad man.

Varis fires an arrow, buries it in the dragon’s chest; the elf screams- “you don’t mess with my friends!” The dragon roars, half in pain- half in anger; Varis quickly shuffles away, around a corner and out of sight- the beast is furious.

“Ooopsie!” The elf frets.

Bharash mutters quietly to himself, some Inspiring Words, he breathes hard and settles for defending himself for the moment, he takes a moment to get his Second Wind, he also manages to throw off the numbness from the dragon’s cold attack. Bharash is ready and able to fight again- let’s hope he gets the chance.

The dragon launches itself at the stunned Quarion hoping to take the eladrin down; the creature unleashes its Dragon’s Fury, and yet somehow manages only to cut Quarion once, and then to no great affect.

Varis dodges back out and fires- arrow after arrow, four in all- three of which hit, the white dragon lurches and roars its anger.

“I will deth-twoy yew alllllllll!” The creature states.

Harann suddenly regains his senses, she sets about the dragon with her Villian’s Menace, although she fails to find her mark- not content she tries again, this time connects and slashes at the tendons on one of the dragon’s legs- it hobbles.
Quarion suddenly disappears from before the dragon, clearly the eladrin is no longer stunned, the white dragon looks left, and then right- where did he go? The next moment the great beast screeches and half-turns, the eladrin’s dagger still stuck in its back.

Bharash sees his opportunity and strikes with his Bastion of Defence.

“For smash get mashed!” The dragonborn screams, the effect is instantaneous- the great drake is bloodied, it lurches and makes a noise like a choking roar- less anger, more hurt. The adventurers cheer, buoyed by Bharash’s words.

WHOOOOSH

The cheering is short-lived the dragon unleashes a winter ice storm, miraculously only Harann is affected by the cold, the dragonborn’s teeth chatter as she freezes. Bharash is having none of it- he slashes and cuts the beast again.

Mr. Benn mutters Healing Words- to himself, his wounds heal over; his prayers continue until he seems to glow a little like a Beacon of Hope, the wounds of all of his allies heal over, while the white dragon staggers and lurches, weakened. Benn follows up by firing a Sacred Flames at the dragon.

Just a note to say that the players have turned the tide, the dragon is only just bloodied- on 87 hit points, but is also weakened. The players are all now fairly healthy, at least none of them are bloodied, and they’re also unleashing a Daily power and Action Point frenzy.

The dragon however is still a terrible foe, it unleashes its Dragon’s Fury on Harann, it attacks with both claws- slashing furiously, and then does the same again; somehow however Harann manages to defend all but one of the creature’s attacks, the one that gets through is no-more than a scratch.

Varies fires again, the dragon sprouts two more arrows; it’s beginning to look like a giant pin-cushion. The creature roars and rises up- Harann dodges in and cuts with all her might, her Tide of Iron smashes the dragon back, straight in to Quarion’s path, the eladrin has a fresh dagger in hand- his Sly Flourish scores a terrible hit, ripping through the creature’s scales and deep in to its flesh.

The dragon isn’t given time to thing, Bharash stabs it hard, it bleeds, Mr. Benn lights up the beast with his Divine Glow; it roars again, claws frantically and slashes Harann again, the dragonborn is however unconcerned, she roars back.

“Too little, too late- Snowman!”

Another arrow thuds in to the beast.

It staggers and is caught again by Harann’s blade, another Tide of Iron knocking the creature back, back again in to Quarion’s arc, the eladrin slashes hard.

The dragon moans.

The dragon staggers.

The dragon speaks-

“That’s Mr. Snowman to youuaaarggghhhh…”

The dragon dies.

The adventurers have won.

750 XP Level 3 Encounter
Dragon White Young Level 3 Solo Brute

A search of the area reveals a bunch more gold coins, clearly the kobold bandits under the white dragon’s supervision have been busy. There’s also a magical sword to be had, which has to be taken back to Fallcrest to be identified- it’s a +1 Lifedrinker Longsword.

None of the adventurers have any skills in Arcana.

Bharash has a new sword…​

And so having defeated the kobolds, with pockets full of treasure, and several sacks stuffed with ‘wanted’ dead kobolds; the guys head home.

Comment: The hook is in, the kids didn’t have many problems to solve in this adventure, really they just had to learn the rules, or at least a few of them. They enjoyed the fact that several of the kobolds had names- and had committed a bunch of crimes I made up on the spot. They also loved the fact that they got to kill a dragon…

I think getting them to name the bad guys, and colour them in was good move. Likewise I think getting them to shout things out every now and then was a good way to get them chatting- the scenario didn’t call for much role-play; although they did come up with some question in the penultimate encounter, when they got to interrogate the captured kobold dragonshield.

I think it was useful that most of the monsters were kobolds, or at least the same species- I worried at first thinking I should swap out a few of the kobolds for some other creatures, but this seemed to work, and the players got in to the idea of the kobold bandit gang.

I don’t think the kids are ready for anything too complex, particularly some of the younger players who are content to get off on hitting stuff and rolling odd-shaped dice every now and then- as often as possible really.

What is certain is they want to play again.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter

The Book of the Dead.

PCs killed by Monsters & Traps etc.-

None

Monsters killed & Traps bested etc. by the PCs-

25 XP each

100 XP each
Drake Spiretop Level 1 Skirmisher x1
Kobold Skirmisher Level 1 Skirmisher x6
Kobold Slinger Level 1 Artillery x6
Trap- Dart Trap Level 1 Blaster x2
Trap- Skull-Skull Stone Level 1 Blaster x1

125 XP each
Kobold Dragonshild Level 1 Soldier x2

150 XP each
Kobold Wyrmpriest Level 3 Artillery x1
Trap- Rolling Boulder Level 3 Blaster x1

750 XP each
Dragon White Young Level 3 Solo Brute x1

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter

The End.

The scenario was easy to play, no heavy thinking needed, the players seemed to pick up the rules for combat, even Spider (aged 4) figured out how initiative, to hit and damage works; also how to use his various powers and weapons.

I deliberately chose this scenario for a number of reasons; obviously it was intended as an introduction to 4e by Wizards. I worried at first about the fact that many of the encounters used the same monsters, in particular kobold skirmishers and slingers- however this proved to be a good thing, the guys knew what the enemies were capable of and so thought tactically at times. By doing this they also ‘got better’ and learnt how to achieve success in combat not by just using their powers but by thinking about how to reduce the monsters ability to inflict damage et al. The first time I heard- “No, you go there- then I can stab it in the back!” I grinned like a chimp- they were getting it.

I realise I am talking about 4e solely in terms of combat here, this is obviously not all the game of dungeons and dragons has to offer, if and when the kids play again then other activities will be introduced- there was a little exploration in game, and a limited amount of role-play. That said combat is a big chunk of this edition (and tactical combat at that), it therefore needs to be learned early to survive- I also didn’t pull any punches, as far as I remember, with the guys.

The scenario is also good in that the learning curve here is not too steep, the first three encounters or so are if not easy, then certainly surmountable, this too helps- a few victories under their belts and the players get to feel a lot better about their abilities.

In short, and with regard to what needed to be achieved in the kids first outing, the scenario and session did its job. Obviously it was a massive help that as well as five kids and the GM (me) at the table, there were also four other adults (parents) explaining and helping out. In truth, at times, there were many more proud parents present, with cries of- “Mum! MUM! I’ve just killed a kobold!” uttered with pride and from a beaming visage.

The action as described is obviously limited here, alas I do not have the time or the inclination to turn this in to a narrative, certainly not as much as I did at the table- I do voices, and on occasion get up and stomp about and play the ‘giddy goat.’ The kids loved this, as do some of their parents who play in my games, and sometimes get involved too. They loved that they had done pictures of the bad guy kobolds, and named them prior to the session. They also loved that they got to utter various battlecries, or else the final words of the dying kobolds- obviously I made many of them up for this story hour but some of them were well remembered, the feel is about right.

All in all a good intro to the game, although- and let’s be honest here, not a fantastic scenario to GM- a kobold delve with a dragon added on the end. Perhaps Wizards designed it especially to help very young noobs get in to the game.

7.0/10

Remove ads