DMs to pay for D&D Encounter materials?

Funny. I remember people being all annoyed there was no other way to get the Encounters material other than to DM.

Switching to running published adventures makes sense. WotC is producing less content and can focus on making the best adventures. And stores make money as Merric reminds us.

Plus, a selling feature of the Sundering adventures is being able to determine the the future of the Realms. Tying it to Enfounters gets the most players influencing events. And if WotC actually bothers to do some advertising for a change, this would be a lovely selling feature for Encounters. They need to pitch it in novels and the like to encourage non-gamers to consider playing and shaping the world.

DerekSTheRed

Explorer
It looks like stores will record the results of the tables in a new facebook sundering app. No logging into DCI or RPGA websites. That's an interesting choice which assumes every FLGS has a facebook account. The FLGS kit is free I guess and has enough stuff to give out to 2 DMs and 20 players. The kit plus the chance to affect the realms is the draw to get gamers to buy stuff at brick and mortar stores as opposed to amazon.com. That's a nice touch.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
It looks like stores will record the results of the tables in a new facebook sundering app. No logging into DCI or RPGA websites. That's an interesting choice which assumes every FLGS has a facebook account. The FLGS kit is free I guess and has enough stuff to give out to 2 DMs and 20 players. The kit plus the chance to affect the realms is the draw to get gamers to buy stuff at brick and mortar stores as opposed to amazon.com. That's a nice touch.

I wish there was some other way to record it, I don't have a FB account and don't intend to have one in the future.

Warder

RedJenOSU

First Post
As a GM, I have donated my time to run Encounters at one of my FLGS. DnD is NOT my system of choice and I don't run it in any of home games. I look at my time in Encounters as time where new players can be introduced to gaming. For example, we are currently running 3 tables of 7 PCs this session. Close to 10 of those players are under 18 and either playing with a parent or being dropped off for geek time at the FLGS, then picked up a few hours later.

I thought Encounters was about bringing in new people and making DnD accessible to people. Increasing the customer base, so they could have a broader audience to work with. Unless my FLGS is going to be providing the new modules (even is only on loan during the Encounter season), I don't need new source books for a game I'm no longer running/playing outside of Encounters.

Some of the local Encounter players have brought up having the cost of the book split between the table of players & the GM, but I don't feel good about that. Encounters was listed as free to play and experience the system. The changes completely alter that aspect of Encounters, it seems like a bait and switch to me.

RJ

DerekSTheRed

Explorer
The changes completely alter that aspect of Encounters, it seems like a bait and switch to me.

RJ
While I think the phrase "bait and switch" is a bit harsh, I agree this does change completely the way Encounters worked. Players will still be able to play for free, but someone (like the DM) will have to pay for the adventure. I understand why some DMs are not going to like having to pay for something that was free. However, some of that money is going to a local game store which gives an incentive for the game store to participate. This will lead to more game stores connecting with local GMs to facilitate an Encounters game day and strengthen the network of gamers at the local level. If it works, great. I'm not sure it will work, but organized play couldn't continue as it was. This is at least a good first try at something that might work. If not, they'll scrap it or change it later.

Encounters may have had a stated goal of getting new players into the game, but I doubt it accomplished that goal. New players will probably have just as much a chance to learn D&D with the new Encounters as with the old one. It will still require a DM and other players to teach the rules, however now there are choices of the system (choices which could confuse new players) and DMs that train new players will likely pay for the privilege. Seems to me that WotC is admitting the obvious that Encounters isn't for new players, but rather for existing players who may have a hard time finding or committing to a regular group. This role was previously filled by the RPGA but now will be filled by Encounters instead.

Alphastream

Adventurer
TSR and Wizards organized play programs have undergone many changes over the years. The constant is change. At various times they have charged memberships ($30 a year in 2001) or a cost for each adventure ($10/4-hr adventure in 2001). None of this has covered costs. For example, in Polyhedron magazine in 2001 it was said that each membership cost $85 to fulfill. It was also said that the budget for the RPGA was around $1 million, and half of that cost was covered by memberships. The RPGA had requested from Wizards a budget of twice the size ($2M).

So, clearly, organized play programs struggle to cover costs. We can just look at the nice materials each Encounters season has provided (for free) and realize how expensive this has been for Wizards. And yet, it seems (from what we can gather) the program didn't tremendously contribute to Wizards' or stores' revenue. WotC is basically funding tons of casual players coming into the system, but with little revenue. Obviously, there are non-revenue benefits. At my local store, which runs one of the largest Encounters programs in the nation, we saw more than 300 unique individuals in just the first three seasons of Encounters! Those gamers, even if they aren't regularly buying D&D, become fans of D&D and part of the store's community.

We can also look at how some stores have signed up for the program but then sold the packets on E-bay (usually for around $30-45 per adventure). There is clearly a market for the materials. Many gamers have been begging Wizards to make the adventures available for sale (some have recently appeared in Dungeon magazine with all-new artwork - highly recommended!).

All of this put together creates our current picture. Encounters is a valuable program, and Wizards believes in it, but it has yet to produce reliable revenue for stores or Wizards. Adjusting the program makes sense. The adventures are now a product, just as they are for Paizo, Catalyst Games, and other organized play programs.

What each store and DM will do will vary. I'm a playtester (this is publicly known due to my icon on my WotC profile). I can't talk about details, but I will absolutely be buying Murder in Baldur's Gate. The combination of adventure and setting material is fantastic and creates a very open-ended and flexible adventure. It is of higher quality than the typical organized play experience (I've previously been an admin for an organized play program). So, many DMs should want to buy this. Stores could absorb some of the cost, and I think that makes sense.

As noted before, organized play programs have often changed and adapted. Small changes can make the difference between success and failure. Many would call Encounters the most successful organized play program ever seen. But, it came after the very unpopular D&D Delve Night program. Small changes made Encounters a success. In the same manner, I expect we will see this latest iteration adjust over time. For example, the current WPN solicitation doesn't provide enough of a hook for a DM to stay with the store. If a DM buys the product, they can run it at home. Nothing links the DM to the store beyond minor benefits from a kit. I suspect we will see the value of the kit rise. Stores may also experiment with approaches. A store might give a DM the entire cost of the product back to the DM if they judge all season long, or a portion if they judge less often.

Overall, I'm okay with the changes. They are to be expected and will likely be improved upon over time.

S

Sunseeker

Even if the LGS does pick up the Encounter game in order to encourage people to play it, they're not likely to just eat it. I wouldn't be surprised to see Encounters start charging.

The whole reason I used to play in Encounters was that it was a simple, no-hassle, no-charge setting where we just got to play an easy game of D&D and help new people lean the game.

I'm certainly not gonna drop $35 bucks to run it, and I'm not going to demand my stores do either. The "stuff" that is included seems utterly unnecessary.

Primal

First Post
I will be buying this because it is Forgotten Realms and according to rumors anyway can be run in Next format or 3rd edition, as well as 4e if one desires.

I am anxiously awaiting the sundering events so I will be buying this and running it as a Pathfinder or Next adventure.

An adventure with the ultimate purpose of fixing the Forgotten Realms is practically an instant sell for me.

I'm not sure if they're going to "fix" the Realms... if anything, I think this 'Sundering' might be about breaking the walls around different D&D worlds. The Abyssal Plague already did that with Tharizdun, but now there are Greyhawk deities/elemental princes who have been worshipped since ancient Netheril? Is Imix going to replace Kossuth, and likewise with Ogremoch and Grumbar? Or do they happily co-exist with each other?

(Anyway, I'm not even mildly interested in Next, so I'm going to skip this one.)

Remove ads