How did Trek Become Such a Phenomenon?

Nagol

Unimportant
<snip>

And therein lies the key. While in books, we may have pieces that are written for purposes of exploring an intellectual curiosity, for economic reasons modern TV and movies must also satisfy the viewer's need for escapism. Real technology does not provide escape from the real world, because it is too real. We recognize it too easily, and it does not make us think much. While you can have a show with such technology in it, it will not be known for its tech. It will instead be known for that which provides the escape - basically, it will seem to the viewer like it is in another genre. Which is a perfectly acceptable thing to do, but it won't look like science fiction. It'll look like a mystery, or a thriller, or a drama, or what have you, with slightly advanced technology.

Person of Interest shows this concept quite well. The baseline tech includes effective AI with almost unlimited surveillance capability, pattern detection and recoginition. But, in effect, it is a basic "people outisde the law out to help others" show.

Kaodi

Hero
Aliens that act like humans: There are two issues behind this trope. 1) You need characters to be accessible/understandable to human viewers. 2) We don't actually have any examples of alien mindsets that we can communicate with to use as examples. Even the better hard sci-fi writers are rather limited in what they can usefully put forth in books, and that's to an audience that is more willing to explore such.

Do you think it is plausible that there would be advanced alien species with mindsets that we could at least understand the broad strokes of, given convergent evolution?

ggroy

First Post
Person of Interest shows this concept quite well. The baseline tech includes effective AI with almost unlimited surveillance capability, pattern detection and recoginition. But, in effect, it is a basic "people outisde the law out to help others" show.

One could also go back several decades for previous precedents, such as the original "Knight Rider" from the early-mid 1980's. (For example).

Instead of a baseline effective AI with unlimited surveillance capability in "Person of Interset", in the original "Knight Rider" it was a baseline effective AI with limited surveillance capability built into a Firebird Trans-AM car (KITT).

The roles of John Resse and Michael Knight were similar in some ways, while Harold Finch's role appears to be a combination of Devon Miles and Bonnie Barstow (or April Curtis).

frankthedm

First Post
There is a difference between pushing an ideology as part of some fanciful distant future, and saying, "This specific policy, here and now, by your group, is wrongity-wrong, with wrong sauce." Any show addressing how we do in the next 30-40 years will have to address the policies of today pretty directly.
I would argue for its time, the actions they took WERE very direct. Especially the casting choices.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
An argument could be made that both the CSI shows and Bones are sci-fi. DNA tests take days if not weeks, yet are almost always performed within hours. And the "Angelator" hologram projector is well beyond current technology, but plausible we would eventually have.
As for aliens all being so similar to humans: several shows have suggested that one race went and seeded other planets with their own DNA into the primordial ooze. TNG had one story about that, and Doctor Who (Big Finish 50) implied that and a great deal more done by Rassilon.
Sorry, just my $.06.

Nagol

Unimportant
One could also go back several decades for previous precedents, such as the original "Knight Rider" from the early-mid 1980's. (For example).

Instead of a baseline effective AI with unlimited surveillance capability in "Person of Interset", in the original "Knight Rider" it was a baseline effective AI with limited surveillance capability built into a Firebird Trans-AM car (KITT).

The roles of John Resse and Michael Knight were similar in some ways, while Harold Finch's role appears to be a combination of Devon Miles and Bonnie Barstow (or April Curtis).

I figure Knight Rider spins off into pseudo-magic with the material that makes KITT (and his big brother KARR) indestructible.

Ahnehnois

First Post
So, I do have to ask a question - is it "pseudo-magical technology" you mind, or is it specific kinds of pseudo-magical technology? The rest of this assumes that it is *any* pseudo-magic that annoys you.
For the sake of argument, let's say any.

Oh, on that basis, I'd argue that the shows you're looking for already exist - the modern police procedural is a good example of a show that uses extrapolated access to information and analysis.
Au contraire. Most procedurals, despite not being billed as science fiction, are littered with quasi-magical technology. Real forensic science takes a lot more time to get through, and is far more prone to bureaucratic holdups, budget cuts, and human error than any of the cops shows. Real medicine vs TV medicine, same difference. Extrapolate to your procedural of choice.

I point this out because there are exceptions. Part of the joy of watching The Wire is all the things they have to go through to set up their titular equipment, and how hilariously old and limited it is compared to audience expectations.

It's not impossible to do a sci-fi show in which faster than light travel is impossible and the science is otherwise realistic.

for economic reasons modern TV and movies must also satisfy the viewer's need for escapism
I don't agree with that. Escapism isn't everything, and today's market for film and TV allows for all kinds of niches to be explored. Fantasy is of course never realistic, but if people are flocking to Game of Thrones I think a sci-fi show with similar tone could work.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I would argue for its time, the actions they took WERE very direct. Especially the casting choices.

There's only so far we can go under the board rules. I'll just say that I feel the casting choices represented a general statement of human value, not a commentary on specific individual policies. And it was still buried in an allegory.

The difference is that between an implication and a direct explicit statement.

Remove ads