Just one MMO or a stable of them?

Goodsport

Explorer
With all the hoopla lately of a new patch and such, I recently re-subbed to World of Warcraft for the first time in about three years, paid for the digital downloads of the two expansions that I didn't previously have (Cataclysm and Mists of Pandaria) as a discounted combo pack, and both played a bit with the Male Human Warrior I'd previously leveled to the mid-50's and created a Male Human Hunter, the race/class character I wanted to play as in WoW since the beginning (since that's my preferred combo in just about every fantasy-based game I've played, MMO or otherwise) but that WoW didn't allow until Cata.

However, for some reason I'm not currently "feeling it" with WoW as I did before (though that could very well change) and am considering un-subbing again (which I wouldn't even need to consider if, unlike most MMO's nowadays, WoW didn't still charge a monthly fee). That could partly be because Guild Wars 2 has since spoiled me on a lot of things that WoW doesn't have (sharper graphics and NPC liveliness, certain gameplay mechanics, a more cooperative approach to "quests", etc.), not to mention that I'd now have to start all over again with my new character despite me never having been much of an alt-oholic. It may also be something that somewhat ties in with this thread's subject, though:

Among the reasons that rotating between my four aforementioned MMO's seems to work well for me is likely because they're four completely different genres from each other (fantasy with a bit of "steampunk", modern day superheroes, modern day survivalist/horror/conspiracy, and sci-fi, respectively) and I can simply play and concentrate on whichever of the four genres that I'm in the mood for at any given time. With WoW thrown into the mix, though, that's now two games (along with GW2) in my rotation that fit pretty much the same genre.

Is anyone else here consistently playing two or more MMO's of the same genre? Would you recommend that I stick with WoW for a bit longer or should I un-sub it and simply concentrate on what I already have? :confused:

-G

Remove ads