Just one MMO or a stable of them?

Goodsport

Explorer
Do you play just 1-2 MMO's that you fully focus on or do you have a stable of MMO's that you rotate between?

I've been rotating among a stable of them lately (currently - but not in any particular order - Guild Wars 2, DC Universe Online, The Secret World and Star Trek Online, all on the PC) and have noticed that while I have yet to burn out on any of them, my characters may not be as far advanced as if I'd focused on fewer MMO's. Conversely, a friend of mine seems to have the opposite situation: he only focuses on one MMO but seems to burn out on it occasionally, not playing it for a while before finally returning to it.

Also, that same friend told me how unusual it is that my MMO's are all a different genre from one another, as according to him most players stick to just one or two genres. Is that the case for you all as well?

-G

Jhaelen

First Post
I fully focus on a single game (not even necessarily an MMO). Considering just MMO's, first it was Dark Age of Camelot; then after my guild disbanded I played Guild Wars. Now, I started playing The Secret World. DAoC was really the only one I invested much time in and allowed myself to be caught up in a guild with regular events, etc. Both Guild Wars and The Secret World were more like solo experiences for me. In the latter I aprticularly enjoy the investigation missions.

Regarding genres I tend to play either Sci-Fi- or Fantasy-themed games. Nothing else manages to hold my interest for long. A change of theme means a lot to me, even if the game itself doesn't change at all. I am a bit tired of 'vanilla' fantasy, though. I prefer settings that are a bit off the mainstream.

Ebon Shar

Explorer
I'm currently investing my time in Star Wars and Champions Online. I dabbled in Neverwinter, but did not find it to my liking. I usually will play 1 or 2 until I get bored and then move on to another.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
I was playing them one at a time, but after 6 months of the first one (LotRO), the others only lasted about a month. All seemed to follow the same grind, and weren't that engaging.

PigKnight

First Post
Right now I'm playing Diablo III, but I like to jump into TERA, Guild Wars 2, and Elsword occaisonally. I used to play a lot of Dungeon Fighter Online but that was canceled.

adamc

First Post
We (wife, daughter, and myself) play one at a time, but I don't think we've ever played more than 3-4 months before losing interest. Tabletop games hold my interest a lot more.

But MMOs are good for quick, 3d diversions when nothing else is available...

EscherEnigma

Adventurer
Hey now, I'm American. We don't go in for that polygamy thing, we're strictly serial monogamists here!

(AKA: I've played many MMOs over the years, but in serial. There was Everquest, Dark Ages of Camelot, Shadowbane, World of Warcraft, City of Heroes (and later Villains), a bunch I tried for a month or so while looking for something that hold the interest of my family members (we play computer games as a group every Saturday), Star Wars the Old Republic... currently I'm not playing any MMO, but I'm kinda hoping I can convince my sisters to try Secret World. Kinda afraid that instead we'll get pulled back into WoW (we played that for years...)

Remove ads