Need help with this Mist Golem. Thanks

talmar

First Post
I found a really really old monster called a MIST GOLEM. I'll post the original write up and am wondering how this could be converted to 3e.

Mist Golem:
ac: special
hd: 21
thac0: 1
dam: choking
sa: engulf
sd: immune to physical attacks and most magic
size: L
align: N

This golem can only be affected by wind or air as follows:

- A gust of wind will cause 3d10 damage and stun it for 1 rd
- Attacks of an air elemental or djinni will cause normal damage
- Other spells or creatures of similar nature will inflict similar damage at DM's discretion.

Such attacks or effects may move trapped persons out of the golem's mists - also at the DM's discretion

Each time the golem hits (2 atks/rd) it engulfs the target, blocking all air flow. In 2 rounds such a victim will be unconscious from lack/pressure of air in the lungs, and in 4 rounds will be dead. One with a necklace of adaptation or similar item can survive within the golem, but cannot escape and may die of starvation instead. The golem can easily have six people engulfed and choking simultaneously. It will attack the nearest people first, and invisibility or mirror images will not fool it for a moment. Note that the golems form mutates as it gets more victims - it goes from being a rough humanoid to a large, spread out cloud of dense gas. This is how it can suffocate several people at the same time while still being immune to physical attack.

Psychotic Jim

First Post
Hmm. This is a tough one. How about this

Mist Golem
Huge Construct (Air)
Hit Dice: 21d10 (hp 115)
Initiative: -1 (Dex)
Speed: Fly 30 ft (Perfect)
AC: 7 (-2 size, -1 Dex)
Attacks: Two touch attacks +13 melee
Damage: Engulfment
Face/Reach: 10 ft by 5 ft/15 ft or 15 ft by 15 ft/10 ft
Special Attacks: Engulf
Special Qualities: Construct, true seeing, magic immunity, vaporous, physical immunity
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +6, Will +7
Abilities: Str -, Dex 8, Con -, Int -, Wis 11, Cha 1
Skills: -
Feats: -
Climate/Terrain: Any land
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 12?
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 22-32 HD (Gargantuan), 32-42 HD (Colossal)

Combat
A mist golem strikes in combat with two amorphous vaporous appendages reaching out to engulf a foe.
Engulf (Ex): When the mist golem hits a foe with one of its touch attacks, the golem engulfs the foe into its siwirling vaporous body. The victim then faces the danger of suffocation (see pg. 88 in the DMG). A trapped foe can attempt an Escape Artist check or a grapple check to escape (the golem's grapple bonus is +22). A mist golem may hold up to 3 Large, 6 Medium-sized, 12 Small, 24 Tiny, 32 Diminuitive, or 64 Fine opponents.
Construct: Immune to mind-influencing effects, poison, disease, and similar effects. Not subject to critical hits, sub-dual damage, ability damage, energy drain, or death from massive damage. while engulfing victims, the mist golem slowly changes from a humanoid shape to a round cloud shape.
True Seeing (Su): The mist golem is constantly under the effects of a true seeing spell as cast by a 12th level sorceror. This ability is inherent and cannot be dispelled but it can be suppressed.
Magic Immunity (Ex): A mist golem is immune to all spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural efffects except as follows. A gust of wind spell deals 3d10 damage to the golem and slows it for 1d4 rounds. The mist golem gets no saving throw to avoid this attack. A djinni'Whirlwind attack affects a mist golem normally. Similar wind-affecting attacks may damage a mist golem at the DM's discretion.
Vaporous (Ex): Since the mist golem is a creature made out of pure gas, it can fit through the tiniest of holes, cracks, and crevices. It always moves silently. Creatures within the mist half-concealment against foes 5 ft away and total concealment to foes farther away.
Physical Immunity (Ex): A mist golem is immune to damage from all physical attacks except for those coming from the natural weapons elementals or outsiders with the Air subtype.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
I'd give it a higher CR than 12 with those immunities... pretty much any group is going to have to figure out they need air creatures to deal with it, then summon some up or else they can't even touch it. After all, who packs gust of wind anyway?

talmar

First Post
Re: Where did it originally come from

A few/couple years ago there was a writer who would distribute his stories to an email list group. His stories was initially based off of his gaming group that disbanded. He continued the character stories for many years and wrote of 800 short stories in a fairly continuous timeline.

The author was Thomas Miller and he called his stories "The Adventurers".

I've been rereading his stories lately and decided to convert some of the creatures in my home campaign. Many of his creatures were either written up using 1e or 2e stats or just simply described.

I've actually been thinking about getting his permission to post some of his stories rewritten as 3e modules. Converting stories to modules is quite a task though and would need much cleaning before I'd think about posting them.

Of course they would be posted providing proper credit where credit is due.

Thanks for the write up and help with this.

Question. According the the SRD constructs Attack Bonus is HD*3.4 so 21+.75=15.75. What would you think of the attack bonus being 16 or 15. I think I'd go with 15. DnD always rounds down.

I think a CR15 is good. If not even a 16. A fighter heavy party would indeed have a hard time with this one.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
Re: Re: Where did it originally come from

talmar said:
A few/couple years ago there was a writer who would distribute his stories to an email list group. His stories was initially based off of his gaming group that disbanded. He continued the character stories for many years and wrote of 800 short stories in a fairly continuous timeline.

The author was Thomas Miller and he called his stories "The Adventurers".

>snip<

Question. According the the SRD constructs Attack Bonus is HD*3.4 so 21+.75=15.75. What would you think of the attack bonus being 16 or 15. I think I'd go with 15. DnD always rounds down.

Hmm, is this the same "Adventurers" that was made into a comic book a few years back?

About the BAB- it does indeed round down to 15, and then knock off 2 for a size penalty (it's huge); there's where the +13 came from. :)

Psychotic Jim

First Post
The Jester is correct. However, I forgot to put in the Dex mod to attack (Creatures with no Str score use their Dex mod instead), so the total attack bonus should be +12.

the Jester

Legend
Psychotic Jim said:
The Jester is correct. However, I forgot to put in the Dex mod to attack (Creatures with no Str score use their Dex mod instead), so the total attack bonus should be +12.

Oops, I overlooked that too... :eek:

talmar

First Post
Ah ha, I see, sorry and thanks.

As to an adventurers comic I don't think so. He never mentioned "The Adventurers" becoming a comic.

Is this comic DnD based? Never heard of it. Any links for it anywhere?

Remove ads