Martial Practices inferior to Rituals????

Tony Vargas

Legend
Lets consider that one

Perhaps we would call it Private Signs or some variant and have Speech without words be a prerequisite?

Private Signs/War Signs/Battle Signals:
Practitioners of this are able to able to communicate through subtle and innocuous sign language as well as signals, depending on the group these may include animal calls and otherwise nonsensical battle cries or simply hidden hand signals and timed position changes which may be entirely silent especially in a stealthy team. This is analogous to a learned language and can be used even in the heat of battle with some effort, on the battle field it can help guide anothers attacks even without being adjacent. Eventually a lot of non combat information can also be presented by this practice as it gradually becomes a fairly complete means of communication.
Now that I think of it, in groups I've been in, we've often excused players discussing tactics over the table with a similar rationale - well, you know eachother and have fought together a lot and have tactics and tricks that you use, so you can coordinate well in combat...

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I think the answer is yes the flavor works and their might be some room for the function but there are devils in the details

But not sure how to make it ritual like... we get back to isnt this more skill power like?

One thought is to allow it to be learned both as a language OR as a martial practice in spite of its un ritual like differences.

As written it is similar to the feat disciple of law they both have the +5 but disciple of law enhances the benefit of the result to +3 AND has no surge cost for use that is a big benefit for DoL.

Though it has a perk of less need to be adjacent to ally to aid them I was thinking range 5 (could make it ten if no stealth is intended).

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Now that I think of it, in groups I've been in, we've often excused players discussing tactics over the table with a similar rationale - well, you know eachother and have fought together a lot and have tactics and tricks that you use, so you can coordinate well in combat...

This could give some more mechanics to hang that narrative hat on if they want, and it shouldn't be expensive to the character design either

This could give some more mechanics to hang that narrative hat on if they want, and it shouldn't be expensive to the character design either

Yeah, well, if its purpose is just that I'd simply give it away as a minor boon. I mean, its just a fig leaf, you're not going to make the players stop talking if they don't have it...

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Yeah, well, if its purpose is just that I'd simply give it away as a minor boon.
That much is similar to rituals - the mechanics would have to be made more intense to act as a full on feat or skill power like benefit, in my opinion.

Ways to boost it might be other enhancement to aid other... allow it to be done as a minor, allow aid attack or aid defense without a roll. (this is actually in keeping with the paradigm spend the price get the effect)

What other benefits could one encapsulate in silent battlefield communication?

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases