What drink should I try?

bone_naga

Explorer
There are a lot of scotches that are cheaper than Johnny Walker but are much better. Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, Glenmorangie, just off the top of my head (those are the easy ones but there are a lot of really good ones out there that I can't recall at the moment).

Zombie_Babies

First Post
INTERNETTED!

Anyway, I just picked the classic top three since they most readily came into my head. Combine all three for a Three Wise Men and you might call that a cocktail. I drink other brands of scotch and whiskey but these are the three which are most readily affordable to me. I ain't rich, so I drink what I can afford. When I am at my grandfather's, he pulls out the thousand dollar stuff cause he's loaded but I don't see him that often.

But if you would care to recommend a brand within the $40-$60 range which you consider "real" whiskey, bourbon or scotch, I'd be happy to try it.

As HS indicated it depends a lot on what you're after. Scotch especially varies in taste quite a bit. I can guarantee you, though, that you'll be able to find something much nicer than Walker in the price range you're looking at. Base (12 year) Glenfiiddich, The Glenlivet and Glenmorangie are all in that butter zone - low end, too. Some of their higher tier stuff is still within your grasp, too.

Whiskey depends, too, but not as much. I'm more into scotch and bourbon so I limit myself pretty much to Jameson's as far as whiskey goes. I like it on the rocks.

Bourbon ... well, there's all sorts of stuff to try. Cheapish and good? Maker's Mark is ok, Knob Creek is decent, Evan Williams Single Barrel is quite good, Wathens is excellent ... I mean, bourbon is probably the easiest one to find inexpensive examples of superior quality. All of those are better than anything on your list.

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
What kind of flavors do you like in your whisky, scotch, or bourbon?
I suppose I like a hint of a smoky taste and a touch of sweetness. I also like it strong and rich, though I tend to drink it on the rocks, or straight if I am drinking outside and it is already cold. But I never chill it in the freezer or fridge.
As HS indicated it depends a lot on what you're after. Scotch especially varies in taste quite a bit. I can guarantee you, though, that you'll be able to find something much nicer than Walker in the price range you're looking at. Base (12 year) Glenfiiddich, The Glenlivet and Glenmorangie are all in that butter zone - low end, too. Some of their higher tier stuff is still within your grasp, too.

Whiskey depends, too, but not as much. I'm more into scotch and bourbon so I limit myself pretty much to Jameson's as far as whiskey goes. I like it on the rocks.

Bourbon ... well, there's all sorts of stuff to try. Cheapish and good? Maker's Mark is ok, Knob Creek is decent, Evan Williams Single Barrel is quite good, Wathens is excellent ... I mean, bourbon is probably the easiest one to find inexpensive examples of superior quality. All of those are better than anything on your list.
I can honestly say I've never tried Glenfiiddich, The Glenlivet and Glenmorangie. Are those Irish whiskeys? I am guessing because of the name... Not a huge fan of the "butter zone" in general though. I've had Jameson's before and it was tasty. My dad is rather fond of it. Maker's Mark as well, although the taste wasn't quite to my liking for some reason. I guess it tasted... cheap? I can't think of a better term to describe it. I have also had Knob Creek, but it wasn't particularly memorable. Never tried Williams Single Barrel but I will look for it at the liquor store next time I am there. Walthens I have tasted as well, and I have good memories of it.

My brother bought us a bottle of Stago Jr. to try this Christmas for our annual holiday Whiskey and Cigar night. I'm looking forward to trying it. Never had it before, but I heard it was good.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I suppose I like a hint of a smoky taste and a touch of sweetness. I also like it strong and rich, though I tend to drink it on the rocks, or straight if I am drinking outside and it is already cold. But I never chill it in the freezer or fridge.
I like them strong, the taste of peat and smoke. Try a McClellands Isley Scotch. Not expensive, great quality for te price and it should taste smoke and be a little sweet. If you can afford pricier scotchs of better quality who are strong and taste like smoke with sweetness, go with Bowmore. They have a wide range of scotchs and are really worth discovering.

I can honestly say I've never tried Glenfiiddich, The Glenlivet and Glenmorangie. Are those Irish whiskeys? I am guessing because of the name...
All Scotchs whiskeys.

Mallus

Legend
If you interested in a bourbon that's higher quality than Makers, and not much more expensive, try Woodford Reserve.

If you're interested in smoke and peat, spring for a bottle of Lagavulin. It's not that expensive, around $80 last time I checked.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
I suppose I like a hint of a smoky taste and a touch of sweetness. I also like it strong and rich, though I tend to drink it on the rocks, or straight if I am drinking outside and it is already cold. But I never chill it in the freezer or fridge.I can honestly say I've never tried Glenfiiddich, The Glenlivet and Glenmorangie. Are those Irish whiskeys? I am guessing because of the name... Not a huge fan of the "butter zone" in general though. I've had Jameson's before and it was tasty. My dad is rather fond of it. Maker's Mark as well, although the taste wasn't quite to my liking for some reason. I guess it tasted... cheap? I can't think of a better term to describe it. I have also had Knob Creek, but it wasn't particularly memorable. Never tried Williams Single Barrel but I will look for it at the liquor store next time I am there. Walthens I have tasted as well, and I have good memories of it.

Glenfiddich is smokey - especially compared to The Glenlivet and Glenmorangie. All three of those are scotch whiskey, by the way.

I actually agree that Maker's can taste cheap. That's really a good way of describing it and why I've personally moved on. I like Wathens a lot - as well as Bernheim and Angel's Envy. Evan Williams Single Barrel is really a pretty good bourbon for the price.

My brother bought us a bottle of Stago Jr. to try this Christmas for our annual holiday Whiskey and Cigar night. I'm looking forward to trying it. Never had it before, but I heard it was good.

Never heard of it. You'll have to describe it for us once you try it. :)

What sort of cigars are you into?

Zombie_Babies

First Post
If you interested in a bourbon that's higher quality than Makers, and not much more expensive, try Woodford Reserve.

If you're interested in smoke and peat, spring for a bottle of Lagavulin. It's not that expensive, around $80 last time I checked.

I've had Woodford and it's a little sweet for my taste. Once the ice melted a bit, though, it was pretty pleasant.

I've been meaning to try the Lagavulin but haven't gotten around to it yet. My recent infatuation with Hendrick's gin has sort of diverted my attention.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Gin!?
YUCK!

Were we talking about normal gin I'd be inclined to agree. Hendrick's, though, is known for being unique. It's not like normal gin at all - it don't taste like liquefied pine tree. It's still made with juniper but it's got some other stuff in it that changes the flavor quite a bit. It's more cucumber-y than pine-y. Like, way, way more. It's very subtle and quite refreshing. Oh, and it's a scottish product. Them doods can make some booze.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Glenfiddich is smokey - especially compared to The Glenlivet and Glenmorangie. All three of those are scotch whiskey, by the way.

I actually agree that Maker's can taste cheap. That's really a good way of describing it and why I've personally moved on. I like Wathens a lot - as well as Bernheim and Angel's Envy. Evan Williams Single Barrel is really a pretty good bourbon for the price.

Never heard of it. You'll have to describe it for us once you try it. :)

What sort of cigars are you into?
Well, it is hard to go wrong with a Monte Cristo of any variety, but since I only smoke twice a year (once on my birthday and once on Christmas), I like to try something new each time. I am fond of a Costa Rican variety, the name of which I do not recall, but it comes wrapped in a scented palm leaf. It's actually quite enjoyable either to taste or smoke.

Remove ads