Dungeon Raiders: The Wolf's Den

tuxgeo

Adventurer
(so essentially there's a room with two exits, the one we're doing from and the hole in the floor? Assuming that...)

Bartleby advances cautiously into the opening, gazing at the monumental statues.

His instinct is to proceed immediately to the hole in the floor.

[OOC: It's a hole in the wall, where the wall meets the floor, right?]

"Until we decide what to do about the careful setting of trinkets on the table, I guess we should not disturb that," Aeiyan offers when he gets to the throne room. "Can we block the side-tunnels with rubble or bricks so the ghouls cannot bypass us as we hunt them?"

Li Shenron

Legend
He advances cautiously, reading himself to strike at anything that should emerge from the hole.

The hole is large enough for you to easily get to the other side. You find youself inside a room that clearly looks like it was built by carving directly into the hill's bedrock. The room is clearly a tomb: rectangular, about 15ft x 30 ft (you are entering it from the short edge on the East), and features three beautifully (albeit of dubious taste...) carved stone sarcophagi. Around the walls are plenty of small alcoves, some with objects inside but many have been apparently smashed to the ground. Some damaged tapestry and the remains of black silk curtains are also visible. The sarcophagi themselves look undisturbed.

Bartleby's expertise with rock constructions also suggests you that the bricks section of the wall (where you came in from) was likely added because during the construction of this room, a whole was accidentally opened towards the natural caves. More loose bricks and rubbles are scattered near the whole, to the inner side: clearly the whole in the bricks was opened from the outside.

At the other end of the room, you can see two exits: a door is opened to the West, and another (closed) leads to the South.

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
"Bartleby!" Tock raises his voice slightly, trying to catch the Dwarf's attention without alerting the Ghouls to their location, "Don't get too far ahead - we still have Ghouls unaccounted for..."

He looks at the entrance to the room, and glances over to the stone table.

"I don't know about the meaning of these trinkets Aeyian, but if you want to barricade the entrance then these chairs and slabs would be a good starting point, yes?"

Sheathing his dagger, he moves closer to investigate the bone constructs; checking to see how solid they look and their viability for use in the barricade. He also looks over the table to see what items are placed there, although he knows that any arcane or magical significance they have will be lost on him...

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
"Aye," says Bartleby acknowledging Tock with a gesture. He emerges fro the small room, "It's a tomb, and it looks undisturbed. I'll watch this door over hear while you explore. We don't want to be caught unawares."

Bartleby approaches the open door, standing back, ready to strike if anyone or anything should come through it.

Li Shenron

Legend
"Can we block the side-tunnels with rubble or bricks so the ghouls cannot bypass us as we hunt them?"

The bricks scattered on the floor match the hole in the wall :) You could try to rebuild the hole with them, but apparently it must have been easy to make that hole in the first place.

Sheathing his dagger, he moves closer to investigate the bone constructs; checking to see how solid they look and their viability for use in the barricade. He also looks over the table to see what items are placed there, although he knows that any arcane or magical significance they have will be lost on him...

The bone chairs look quite frail. You are not sure if they would crumble under a man's weight (you can try...). They look as if they have been assembled roughly by intertwining the bones and wrapping them with the strips of black silk.

The items on the table are a bunch of darkened silver pins (or perhaps buttons) shaped as tiny scythes. They don't look particularly valuable or well-crafted, they are definitely made of silver but probably aren't worth more than the material itself.

Bartleby approaches the open door, standing back, ready to strike if anyone or anything should come through it.

Looking into the next room, you notice it's another tomb, about half the size of the first. It has only one sarcophagus, but this one has been opened, and the slab lies on the floor (you can't see what's inside from the doorway). Otherwise the room is empty.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
< snip > . . . Among the scattered filth, you occasionally get a glimpse of something shiny: coins, cheap jewelry, and even a fine piece of silver, probably a pendant of sort. Of course, you take care of picking up anything that looks valuable.

[OOC: Going back to this: "Daggers" and other light weapons might well look "valuable" to a group of adventurers who have few throwable weapons among them. (Things don't have to be salable to have value in a cavern.) I'm guessing that the party will count what they found there a little later on, whenever they take their next rest.]

tuxgeo

Adventurer
< snip > . . . "I don't know about the meaning of these trinkets Aeyian, but if you want to barricade the entrance then these chairs and slabs would be a good starting point, yes?"

"I -- wasn't thinking exactly of barricading the entrance," Aeiyan replies: "my thought was to limit the various paths the ghouls have for avoiding contact."

He ponders the issue a bit longer, mulling over what little he knows.

"This is their home, apparently," he adds. "They know the ins and outs of this maze, while we do not. We must do something to change that, and force a fairer fight, if we are to eliminate them."

He looks over toward the cleric. "Could you shed a little light inside these side tunnels, padre? How wide the openings, how tall the walls, how straight the ways? Could you assay the difficulty of reversing the creation of the maze? It must have been built by some agency: could it have been the ghouls who did it?"

"I would ask Bartleby to use his dwarven stonecunning on the matter, but he's busy guarding an empty hole."

Aeiyan shrugs, and says to the others, "We came into this hazardous cavern in the first place by shifting a boulder. This maze is nothing but boulders. If we shift them aside again, perhaps we could not only close off the side tunnels and widen the middle way so we can make ranged attacks within it, but also keep the ghouls from being able to avoid us so easily. That's what I was thinking. Sorry it takes me so long to come up with any idea at all."

He looks toward the others as if awaiting counterproposals.

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
"Ah, I see..." replies Tock, somewhat slow on the uptake, "That sounds more like it. I'm not sure how much use these... unusual... chairs would be anyway." he continues, poking gently at one of the bone chairs with the butt of his halberd.

[OOC: If our benevolent DM thinks this is feasible, I'm on board with Aeyian's plan]

Remove ads