The official Star Wars VII Anticipation Thread!

Even if they ultimately trash the continuity of the Expanded Universe I hope they at least borrow heavily from its best ideas.

The biggest problem with the EU is that it's so uneven. While some stuff (WEG books, Thrawn Trilogy, etc) are great, some other stuff is absolutely pathetic (here's to you, Kevin J. Anderson). And at some point it gets really hard to extricate the good from the bad.

They already threw away a lot of great EU stuff in the prequels, I think it would be a mistake to try and bring the EU back in at this point. I would happier if they formally designated alternate canons for different real-world era. There could be Original Trilogy Canon, Prequel Canon, and Sequel Canon, all with their own Holocron levels.

Herschel

Adventurer
Go home JJ Abrams, you're drunk. :lol:

Star_Trek_vs_Star_Wars_by_ApolloNui.jpg
I'm cautiously optimistic. The biggest "problem" with Episode 1 is it cleaved too heavily towards the 12-year-old of the original story for the then 30-somethings viewing it.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I've never encountered any of the novels and the like, so Ill be oblivious to any adherence to or avoidance of them in the new movies.

I'm cautiously optimistic. At first, 18-19 yr old protagonists made me worried, but Luke and Leia were only that age in the original movies, and that works just fine.

MarkB

Legend
This is what will happen The Fans will go and see it and either declare it the best thing since the OT or it will have ruined Star Wars Forever.

And the really comforting thing about that is that pretty much everything that's ever been done with Star Wars since the first movie has Ruined Star Wars Forever, and yet people still enjoy it on a daily basis.

And the really comforting thing about that is that pretty much everything that's ever been done with Star Wars since the first movie has Ruined Star Wars Forever, and yet people still enjoy it on a daily basis.

lol, There was an article or a blog floating around that boiled it down to "true star wars fans hate Star wars...they love the idea but hate how it turned out"

and have you seen Wookipedia's page on ruined forever? http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Wookieepedia:Ruined_FOREVER

A

amerigoV

I am really curious the direction they will take.

Eps 4 was pure pulp. Fun, action, heroic. The Hero story
Eps 5 went darker, with the Big Reveal at the end
Eps 6 went Ewok...and the focus went from Luke as hero to Anakin's redemption
Eps 1-3 shifted to explain everything hinted at in the originals - the rise of the empire, the fall of the Jedi. The fall of Anakin.

Lots of stylistic differences between the movies. It makes me wonder if this will be a "not my D&D" reaction - depending on when you got into Star Wars will likely impact if you like the new movie because it cannot hit them all in one movie (or series - the Originals had a different approach to the story than the prequels)

I am hoping for Pulp with some mystery in it - something to add a bit of the magic back to the series. But then again, I started with Eps 4 in the theaters before there ever was "Eps 4"

I just hope we get the True Big Reveal -- R2D2 is The Sith Lord.

Remove ads