Body Fat Percentage

A solid core is not unreasonable. The visible six pack abs may be, for some folks.
A strong core isn't unreasonable, and while harder to get, a six pack isn't unreasonable either. Yeah, you have to work harder to get it, but for most people, it's doable. Now if you're a five hundred pounds wheelchair bound 80 traded year old, yeah, a six pack is unreasonable. But let's not pretend like it's impossible and has no benefits.
Not all bodies are the same. Some folks will have a bit of padding at particular places on their bodies that just will not be removed by normal healthy exercise.
Your a little late to the party, homie.I mentioned that a while ago, and so did Danny.

Last edited:

Janx

Hero
A solid core is not unreasonable. The visible six pack abs may be, for some folks.

Not all bodies are the same. Some folks will have a bit of padding at particular places on their bodies that just will not be removed by normal healthy exercise.

That was the point I was alluding to. As Morrus could just get sick and pick up a six pack, I was fit enough to do the 100 pushup, situps, upside down situps, etc and pretty much kept the same basic gut.

It may have been technically possible for me to get a six pack, but the level of work needed for me when I was already training for karate and in good shape was not worth it to find out.

So, in my view, the only people with six pack abs are professional exercisers or anorexics. And having been naturally super skinny, even that's not a guarrantee.

I suspect I had the muscles for a six pack just fine (back then), but any body fat I had (remember, skinny dude with high metabolism) was stored in my gut. Thus, I looked less fit than I actually was.

six pack abs aren't practical for everybody, even if they are fit.

That was the point I was alluding to. As Morrus could just get sick and pick up a six pack, I was fit enough to do the 100 pushup, situps, upside down situps, etc and pretty much kept the same basic gut.

It may have been technically possible for me to get a six pack, but the level of work needed for me when I was already training for karate and in good shape was not worth it to find out.

So, in my view, the only people with six pack abs are professional exercisers or anorexics. And having been naturally super skinny, even that's not a guarrantee.

I suspect I had the muscles for a six pack just fine (back then), but any body fat I had (remember, skinny dude with high metabolism) was stored in my gut. Thus, I looked less fit than I actually was.

six pack abs aren't practical for everybody, even if they are fit.
You know, it's possible that you had higher cardio requirement and your body just kept on storing carbs. It happens. Look at marathon runners. They may be thin, but they carry around a bit of fat. In any case, you could probably have gotten six pack abs if you had tried a few things in addition to making some changes to your diet.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Genes are cruel (as are jeans).

My college sophomore year roomie & best bud was the Stan Laurel to my Oliver Hardy.* At 5' 11", he just kissed 125lbs, and you could see his heartbeat from across a room if he were shirtless.

With him consuming an extra 5000 calories a day in Joe Wieder shakes and other stuff coupled with intense workouts for a month, we managed to boost his bench over 150lbs, and his weight to an astounding 133lbs.

He revealed, however, that his genetics had a cruel, cruel fate in store for him. After about age 40, his hummingbird metabolism would radically slow down, and he'd develop a paunch. It happended to all of the men in his family. His dad was a former Olympic cyclist, and even he had one, despite continuing an active regimen of weightlifting and cycling.

I told him what he could do with his paunch.

* and the Norse salt to my Creole pepper, but I digress...

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I think there are several possibilities.
1. All 7% of his body fat were was concentrated in his gut.
2. horrific accident that required surgery, and ruined his abs so they didn't show.
3. He is exaggerating about his body fat percent, or the amount of muscle mass he had.
4. He may have made a mistake about his body fat percent.

. . . . . Edit

I am told that because of how things ended up after all of my surgeries, I will never have a 6-pac, and I am never to work out targeting ab muscles only as it will, with a great possibility, give me a hernia. Not fun sounding.

I am told that because of how things ended up after all of my surgeries, I will never have a 6-pac, and I am never to work out targeting ab muscles only as it will, with a great possibility, give me a hernia. Not fun sounding.
That's pretty harsh. The reason I said it was because I saw one of those History channel or A&E (can't remember which one), about gangs. They had some guy, maybe 19, who was in a gang, and because of it, he got jumped one day by some members of another gang. The stabbed him a bunch of times. The guy said he took off running, and he had to hold in his guts because the cuts he got on his abdomen were so bad, his guts were spilling out.

He ended up having several surgeries to save him. He showed off his stomach, and he had a bunch of scars. It looked like someone took a chainsaw to his stomach. He wasn't able to run any more. He couldn't pick up anything heavy. That guy couldn't even attempt to do a single crunch.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
He ended up having several surgeries to save him. He showed off his stomach, and he had a bunch of scars. It looked like someone took a chainsaw to his stomach. He wasn't able to run any more. He couldn't pick up anything heavy. That guy couldn't even attempt to do a single crunch.

Sounds like what I have on my plate. including the heavily scarred abdomin. I could post a pic, maybe tomorrow.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Your a little late to the party, homie.I mentioned that a while ago, and so did Danny.

You said, "some people have a harder time than others, but it's not unrealistic,"

I said, "some people will have padding that cannot be removed with reasonable amounts of diet and exercise". (emphasis mine)

Your statement isn't really the same as mine.

This is at the center of unrealistic expectations, and the harm they can do. Some people just are *not* going to get those abs, or super-skinny legs, or whatever particular feature is under discussion. And to lightly say, "this is what you should have, and getting it isn't unrealistic," can be pretty ugly for those for whom it really is unrealistic. While I don't expect anyone where's going to be given a body-image problem from one particular message board post, I think it useful to raise the point that for some, it really is unrealistic.

Last edited:

Remove ads