Body Fat Percentage

Janx

Hero
I can't say how busy a lawyer is, but I would assume some chunk of us adults with full time jobs put in more than 40 hours a week. There really is LESS time.

personally, I haven't used a day of vacation in 4 years. I've had weeks where I got 4 hours of sleep before going back to work to lather, rinse repeat. Heck, I work more hours now in my small business than I ever did in my big corporate job.

So for somebody like me, what's feasible is eating better and trying to walk the dog more often

I had the funds for the nutritionist- as I said, I actually saw more than one- and a trainer as a student. I didn't have the time.

And none of that has changed in my favor: i still have the $$$, i still consult nutritionists, but the time commitment of a pro-level fitness regimen would require I give up being employed.
And that would be your choice. It's not as if it's impossible. You just happen to have other things you would rather do. That's fine. No one, especially me, is holding that against you. If you feel fine with yourself, then that's all that matters. If you don't want to get a six pack, that's fine. You don't have to. You aren't required to do so. If you decided that you did want to, that's also fine. That is your choice. From what you've said, it would be difficult, but you achieving that is not unrealistic.
Please don't put words in someone's mouth- it is rude and not cute.
Especially when it is wrong.
How was it wrong? It wash't what you wanted. You chose to study and become a lawyer. You chose a career over working out at the level required for you to show off your abs. It's not unrealistic for you to be able to get abs. It may be impractical because of how many hours you put in at work, or how many hours you had to put in while you were in law school studying, but that's a completely different argument.
After years of being fat, I would have LOVED to have been able to get rid of the gut. I am not going to undergo surgery to rid myself of it, though, unless medically ordered to do so. (Which is highly unlikely.)
Who said anything about you getting surgery to remove it? If you want to do that, it's your choice.

You may not be aware of this, but repeatedly saying variants of the quoted text is exactly why we are perceiving that you are implying it is trivial.
No, that's you just wanting to see things that rent there. I've said it isn't easy, but it is not unrealistic. How is that making it seem trivial?
You haven'ted defined what this level of work actually entails, or
why you think that's achievable.
Tell you what, if you know everyone's level of fitness, and how much fat they are carrying let me know, so I can calculate develop workout regimens them to be able to show off their abs. That way I could define for you the level of effort it actually entails for each one to show off their abs.
For an unemployed MILF or FYLF, spending all day at the gym to get that level of fit is possible,

normal people have jobs, lives, etc, and are not going to radically change their diet to extreme levels (and yes, I've seen the diets fitness trainers suggest to their clients and they are extreme), as well as working out 2+ hours in the gym daily.

None of us deny "it's possible."

What we challenge is that it is practical for anybody who isn't devoting a majority of their time and effort to it.

Most of of us jobs. Regular healthy is the feasible level of expected effort. Hyper-fit is not.
So what you're actually arguing is "practicality." In that case, you shouldn't say "It's unrealistic." You should just say it's "impractical."

Those are two completely different things. Since you're arguing "practicality," I'm not sure why you'd continue to argue with me as I am not arguing practicality. Physiologically it's not impossible or unrealistic for a person to expect that if they put in the effort, they can get their abs to show.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
And that would be your choice. It's not as if it's impossible. You just happen to have other things you would rather do. That's fine. No one, especially me, is holding that against you. If you feel fine with yourself, then that's all that matters. If you don't want to get a six pack, that's fine. You don't have to. You aren't required to do so. If you decided that you did want to, that's also fine. That is your choice. From what you've said, it would be difficult, but you achieving that is not unrealistic.

I didn't say getting a 6-pack was impossible, just unrealistic, given that I still had a paunch at 7% body fat, a good diet, and an active lifestyle.

Medical doctors (plural) advised me of what it would take.

How was it wrong? It wash't what you wanted.
It is 100% wrong.

I did want to be rid of my paunch. As stated, MDs advised me I had 2 choices: a pro athlete level diet & exercise regimen or surgery.

Given that I was already @20 years old, adopting a pro athlete lifestyle would not have left me time to do anything else. That would have meant I would need to find employment that needed that kind of fitness...which is pretty much being a pro athlete.

But by that age, I was already well behind the curve of training that it would take to succeed as a pro athlete, even in the sports I participated in. Ditto the networking required to get an opportunity. IOW, my odds of supporting myself had I opted for the 6-pack abs via lifestyle change as opposed to surgery were, essentially, nil.

Therefore, my original statement stands: achieving a 6 pack at that time was unreasonable.

Janx

Hero
Those are two completely different things. Since you're arguing "practicality," I'm not sure why you'd continue to argue with me as I am not arguing practicality. Physiologically it's not impossible or unrealistic for a person to expect that if they put in the effort, they can get their abs to show.

You're arguing on the basis of semantics.

Everybody else in the room equated unrealistic to impractical to infeasible for "most people" because it is unrealistic to expect most people to allocate a large set of resources to achieve the goal, thus making it infeasible.

By choosing to do so, you are being obtuse in order to win your point.

Don't be the semantic arguer guy. he's frustrating to talk to because it feels like he is being deliberate in not understanding another persons words.

I didn't say getting a 6-pack was impossible, just unrealistic, given that I still had a paunch at 7% body fat, a good diet, and an active lifestyle.

Medical doctors (plural) advised me of what it would take.

It is 100% wrong.

I did want to be rid of my paunch. As stated, MDs advised me I had 2 choices: a pro athlete level diet & exercise regimen or surgery.

Given that I was already @20 years old, adopting a pro athlete lifestyle would not have left me time to do anything else. That would have meant I would need to find employment that needed that kind of fitness...which is pretty much being a pro athlete.

But by that age, I was already well behind the curve of training that it would take to succeed as a pro athlete, even in the sports I participated in. Ditto the networking required to get an opportunity. IOW, my odds of supporting myself had I opted for the 6-pack abs via lifestyle change as opposed to surgery were, essentially, nil.
So again, you're arguing practicality, which is fine. That's not what I'm arguing. If you want to say that you didn't have the time to workout at the level required that's fine. I readily accept that you didn't have the time for a pro-athlete level workout regimen and law school. Happy now?

Therefore, my original statement stands: achieving a 6 pack at that time was unreasonable.
Very well, for you, I will amend my statement. You wanted to go to school, study, and become a successful lawyer more than you wanted to workout at the level required to show off your abs.

Achieving a six pack at the time wasn't unreasonable, it just wasn't what you wanted. I'm sure some people might see the amount of money that it takes to pay for law school, and the amount of time required to do well in law school and pass your boards to be just as extreme as you see having to train at a pro-athlete level to get a six pack. It was a choice you had. You chose law school.

You're arguing on the basis of semantics.

Everybody else in the room equated unrealistic to impractical to infeasible for "most people" because it is unrealistic to expect most people to allocate a large set of resources to achieve the goal, thus making it infeasible.
And you made the incorrect assumption that I was using the terms the same, or that I would assume that those few who are having this discussion with me had done so. Making assumptions is bad. Don't do it.
By choosing to do so, you are being obtuse in order to win your point.

Don't be the semantic arguer guy. he's frustrating to talk to because it feels like he is being deliberate in not understanding another persons words.
Listen, Morrus already warned people for acting like jerks and insulting others. If you can't have a conversation without resorting to insults, I suggest you stay out of it.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Achieving a six pack at the time wasn't unreasonable...

You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means. Reasonable: of sound judgement, appropriate, fair, sensible, not exceeding the bounds of moderation.

From what he's described, sounds "outside the bounds of moderation" to me. So, unreasonable.

You may continue to believe what you wish, of course.

You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means. Reasonable: of sound judgement, appropriate, fair, sensible, not exceeding the bounds of moderation.

From what he's described, sounds "outside the bounds of moderation" to me. So, unreasonable.

You may continue to believe what you wish, of course.
Before we start discussing this, are you willing to concede that you were "late to the party?"

Cyclone_Joker

First Post
Wow, my Econ teacher would have a field day here.

Re:Unreasonable.It's perfectly reasonable. It'd require more work than he'd have been willing to put into it, but that doesn't make it impossible or unreasonable. Trade-offs, it's really not complicated. You putting other priorities in front of having a six-pack doesn't change a thing.

Remove ads