Google's smart contact lenses

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Yeah; I wore contact lenses for a number of years before giving them up because they irritated my eyes too much; putting in the lenses, and wearing them, are obstacles.

There must be a good reason to put the sensor on the cornea. Are tears that much better for sensing glucose levels? Is it that lots of folks are already wearing contact lenses?

My guess is that the alternative, measuring glucose in blood, requires an intrusion, while measuring glucose in tears does not.

Thx!

TomB

Starman

Adventurer
My understanding is that the biggest hurdle at this point is ensuring that glucose levels checked in tears are as accurate as those checked with blood. If they can overcome that, then I'm sure that many diabetics will be very excited to try this out.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
There are different apporaches to measure blood gucose levels currently being in development and tested, but even the best of those are still far away from a real (technical) solution of the problems of diabetics: too be reliaible and precise enough to feed into the control ciruit of an insulin pump. The best systems just switch off the pump when they notice a hyperglycemia.

If you would offer me a system with a working control loop, trust me, irritation of the eyes would be considered a minor nuisance. Although I shudder at the thought of wearing Goolge products in my eyes, which will no doubt feed advertisments to me in the must inopportune moments. :cool:

Btw: it's just to weeks until my 35th anniversary as diabetic!

Zombie_Babies

First Post
If your contacts are irritating your eyes there's a chance it's the specific brand of contact or even solution that you're using that's to blame. Different types of contacts are made from different materials and sometimes our eyes don't like them. I had a problem a couple of years ago that made wearing contacts impossible for me. After changing my solution and lens type, I can wear them all day again like I used to. It's worth looking into if you'd like to give contacts another try.

Unfortunately I can't see this really being an option with something like Google contacts. Odds are the product will be fairly specific.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
If your contacts are irritating your eyes there's a chance it's the specific brand of contact or even solution that you're using that's to blame. Different types of contacts are made from different materials and sometimes our eyes don't like them. I had a problem a couple of years ago that made wearing contacts impossible for me. After changing my solution and lens type, I can wear them all day again like I used to. It's worth looking into if you'd like to give contacts another try.

Unfortunately I can't see this really being an option with something like Google contacts. Odds are the product will be fairly specific.

Have tried a lot. Unfortunately, I need hard lenses, and pretty thick ones; soft lenses just don't work. There are gas permeables which are less irritating, but they are still too irritating to wear. I tried a bunch of stuff, including my eye doctor sculpting the lenses slightly to help tears get under them, and to reduce the angle of incidence of the eyelid against them, but nothing worked well enough.

The lenses in the picture for the Google contacts looked rigid, which would be the more irritating kind. There could be a problem too if the lenses require a particular material.

All of which led to my question about why its better to put the sensor in one's eyes, instead of, say, subdermally. (I don't actually know if that is possible; just a thought.) If one has an insulin pump, there is already an intrusion. Although, the person that I know that had a pump had a finger prick type sensor still.

Thx!

TomB

Zombie_Babies

First Post
I would guess they consider it less intrusive. A lot of people have problems with blood - especially their own. :p That said, a lot of people have problems with touching eyes, too - especially their own. :p

Remove ads