Non-gaming hobbies

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I do love a good cup of coffee. My partner and I got pretty good at making it at home over the course of the pandemic.

We pick up our beans fresh from a local micro-roaster in town every week, grind them each morning, and brew them in a French press. We have one of those fancy electric kettles that heats the water to 200°F without boiling it, too.

It's a bit of faff, sure, but I don't mind.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I wonder if you'll get an episode on the show Hoarders or American Pickers first. Either way, it sounds like it's going to be one of the more interesting shows as they go through all your crazy collections.
American Pickers is FAR more likely. I don’t have an underlying OCD diagnosis…yet.

And stuff DOES leave the house if broken or some other need arises. My comic book collection has been culled several times since 1972- mainly because of its sheer mass. I’m planning on donating what’s left of it (enough long boxes to take up the space of a Cadillac) to charities, $4000 worth at a time.

Woodworking, mostly hand tools with traditional joinery. I make furniture. Mostly boxes, chests, tables, things of that nature. I have a solid cherry end table on my bench now and a large kumiko panel.

I read a lot. Mostly alt history, sci fi, fantasy , and woodworking books.

I also play 40k and Battletech as well as other miniature games.

My wife and I go to concerts. Lots of DMB shows. At least two this year.

Coffee can be a dangerous rabbit hole to tumble down. I have several other friends who love their coffee but think I'm nuts. :p

In terms of a low cost entry for a better everyday cup, I'd recommend pour over. The Hario V60 is a classic, well respected pour over dipper. You can pick them up in plastic, glass, and ceramic all for short money. I own a dripper called the Stagg, from a company called Fellow I just happen to like. Chemex is another popular one, though I'd go Hario over Chrmex myself.

The grinder is more important, and what you asked about to begin with. There are a lot of good brands and types of burr grinder out there. Manual grinders will give you a little more bang for your buck, but of course that's because it's manual and you're doing all the work.

Ultimately it depends on what your budget is and what you like. The grinder I currently use for everything except espresso is the Fellow Ode Gen 2. Fellow also just came out with a lower priced grinder that's supposed to cover all the bases called the Opus.

Some other popular grinder brands are Baratza and Eureka. My espresso grinder is a Eureka for example. You can fall deeper down the rabbit hole and find grinders that cost thousands, but that's not necessary. I would recommend finding something better than a blade grinder though.

After that you'll need a simple gooseneck kettle. Again, you can go nuts here, like I eventually did. My electric gooseneck can be programed to the degree, can hold temp for 30 minutes if I want it to, set a schedule so it goes on and off on its own... in other words, a bunch of stuff no normal person needs when a $15 kettle will boil water just as well. :p

A simple scale will help too. You can always eyeball it, but good coffee is about ratios. 15:1 water to coffee is a solid starting point and the best way to know you're hitting that is to measure your coffee and your water. You can get cheap coffee scales on Amazon that are fine, but like everything else in this hobby there's an absurdly priced option out there somewhere. This is one piece of the puzzle I haven't taken the plunge on. Somehow the scale is my line in the sand, of all things.

It's like any hobby of course, the deeper you go, the more ridiculous it gets. What should be something simple gets more complicated and more expensive. If you start getting into espresso things start getting even more expensive because good espresso machines are not cheap. Flair does some really nice manual machines, which can be more affordable.

Anyway, I've have rambled something fierce. Less than about $30 on a dripper, a kettle, and maybe a couple of hundred on a good grinder will open up a lot. But be sure you want to make the jump. There's $2000 of coffee nonsense on my coffee cart because I had to keep getting more. Jesus, I needed a coffee cart because I have so much crap my wife wanted the counter space back.
A coffee hobby seems to be considerably less expensive than my current photography habit/hobby. I may just grabbing some of these suggested coffee items. I kind of romanticize waking up in the morning and overly complicating my life making coffee, so I can brag about it later.

American Pickers is FAR more likely. I don’t have an underlying OCD diagnosis…yet.

And stuff DOES leave the house if broken or some other need arises. My comic book collection has been culled several times since 1972- mainly because of its sheer mass. I’m planning on donating what’s left of it (enough long boxes to take up the space of a Cadillac) to charities, $4000 worth at a time.
Hello, I represent the Make a Squirrel's Wish Come True Foundation. We are a Squirrel based charity, and we always welcome Cadillac-sized comic book donations. Can I put you down for a Cadillac Escalade sized donation?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Not mine, but I like how this looks and might try something similar soon. Thought I’d share it here fo the food hobbyists!

Waterbizkit

Explorer
A coffee hobby seems to be considerably less expensive than my current photography habit/hobby. I may just grabbing some of these suggested coffee items. I kind of romanticize waking up in the morning and overly complicating my life making coffee, so I can brag about it later.
Oh, there are significantly more expensive hobbies out there, but in context a lot of people may think hundreds or even thousands of dollars on coffee brewing is insanity.

Still, you can sink a lot into it. Next year I plan on upgrading my espresso machine from my entry level machine to one that's got more bells and whistles than anyone could ever need and a price tag that made my wife's eyes roll so hard I'm pretty sure they did a 360 in her head.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Oh, there are significantly more expensive hobbies out there, but in context a lot of people may think hundreds or even thousands of dollars on coffee brewing is insanity.

Still, you can sink a lot into it. Next year I plan on upgrading my espresso machine from my entry level machine to one that's got more bells and whistles than anyone could ever need and a price tag that made my wife's eyes roll so hard I'm pretty sure they did a 360 in her head.
I've spent a bit of money on a burr grinder and pour over. But I swear that using my cheap aero-press consistently gives me as good as or better cup of coffee than a pour over. Good freshly roasted beans and a good grinder are still important, but I've come to prefer my (relatively) cheap plastic aeropress for brewing. It totally won me over from doing pour overs.

Waterbizkit

Explorer
I've spent a bit of money on a burr grinder and pour over. But I swear that using my cheap aero-press consistently gives me as good as or better cup of coffee than a pour over. Good freshly roasted beans and a good grinder are still important, but I've come to prefer my (relatively) cheap plastic aeropress for brewing. It totally won me over from doing pour overs.
Aeropress is great as an immersion brew. That is the fun part of coffee, there's several different ways to do it, and even within the same brew methods there are different techniques people can use to end up with the cup they like.

That all doesn't even bring the beans into it. Where did they come from? How were they processed? What's their roast level? The first time I tried a light roast Ethiopian coffee, the difference between that and my usual dark roast from Costa Rica was eye opening.

I started my deep dive with espresso because it's my true love, from there everything gets cheaper. A cheap alternative is a moka pot, but moka isn't espresso. Still good and much more affordable. In fact I grew up calling it a stove-top espresso maker.

When I got into loose leaf tea it was so much simpler by contrast. Certain temperatures and brew times for certain teas, but that's all solved with my ridiculous high tech kettle and the timer on my phone.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Re: coffee

My dad is the coffeemaker in the family. I can take it or leave it. Especially since I doctor mine with lots of sugar & dairy, making it nigh into a dessert in itself.

But even though his setup is modest- a good grinder, a nice maker- we often trade stories about how expensive and time consuming it can be if you get serious. I mean, serious.

For example, there was a news article I sent him about some wall-sized brewing apparatus that cost thousands. He thought that was excessive.

Remove ads