Running my first game Saturday. Any advice?

Dungeoneer

First Post
Well, I've been waiting for the opportunity for MONTHS and this Saturday I finally get to run my first 13th Age game for our group. We're a relatively new group that's been playing through some 4e modules for the last few months. The group enjoys the tactical aspect of 4e combat a lot, but they also all have an interest in roleplaying characters. The pre-made stuff we've run so far really hasn't let their freak flags fly in that regard, so to speak. I'm hoping that 13th Age will let us explore more of that.

The group likes 4e and I think is skeptical about a new system, so Saturday's game is a one-shot (which I personally hope will lead to more). I'm hoping it goes well!

This will of course be my first time dealing with things like icon rolls. I've done more improvisational stuff before, but this is the first time it's mechanically part of the game! But I'm also trying to keep straight in my head all the things 13A does different from 4e.

Any advice for a first time AgeMaster?

keterys

First Post
To be honest, for a one-shot I'd probably skip the icon stuff and try to play up the other aspects more. But that may just be me.

My main advice for 13th age is to mostly just say yes. Someone wants to do a cool stunt, use their unique thing or background in an interesting way, make it happen. This is the toughest box to break out for some D&D players that they can do things that aren't described in immaculate detail on their sheet.

Storminator

First Post
My main advice for 13th age is to mostly just say yes. Someone wants to do a cool stunt, use their unique thing or background in an interesting way, make it happen. This is the toughest box to break out for some D&D players that they can do things that aren't described in immaculate detail on their sheet.

This is even more true in a one shot game. There's only 4 hours to pack in every single awesome thing every player wants to try. So get to the "yes" and get there fast!

Especially if you want your players to let it all hang out.

PS

mlund

First Post

This is the key, indeed. If you are worried about things getting a little unbalanced at times, feel free to play director and invoke Nastier Specials on monsters and whatnot to keep things interesting.

The real key, though, is to make sure the flow of your game provides incentive for players to bring their own awesome to the table. 13th Age games aren't so much rubber-chicken dinners as a player pot-luck. Work those Backgrounds, One Unique Things, and any sort of stunt or subversion your players can come up with.

- Marty Lund

Pour

First Post
I just ran my second game Wednesday. My advice would be 1) Use one of the Tales of the 13th Age organized play modules (4 available at this point, and free) as a guide at least (they list cheat sheets, extra monsters, DCs and saves, GM advice at the beginning, and a fun framework for adventures) and 2) Don't be afraid to collaborate. Let the players carry some of the story, too.

*** Edit: 3) Listen to BJ Shea's live game run by Rob Heinsoo to get a feel of what it *could* be like developing the characters and negotiating/wheeling and dealing through the one-shot. ***

Last edited:

Remove ads