Do you eat fast food,if so what do you get and where do you go?

Oh, and I see a lot of love for Chik Fil A or whatever you spell it like. While I do agree the sandwiches aren't half bad, I have to say they're small and expensive - not a reason not to eat there, though. Their owner is reason enough to stay far, far away from that place.
I've never eaten Chick-Fil-A, mostly because it's fast food, but also because of the owner. I've seen other people eating it. My university has one, and some of the people I worked with ate it. The food doesn't look appealing. As I said, I haven't eaten it, but the chicken looks pretty dry. Much like McDonald's, Check-whatever-A is overpriced for the garbage they sell.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
I've never eaten Chick-Fil-A, mostly because it's fast food, but also because of the owner. I've seen other people eating it. My university has one, and some of the people I worked with ate it. The food doesn't look appealing. As I said, I haven't eaten it, but the chicken looks pretty dry. Much like McDonald's, Check-whatever-A is overpriced for the garbage they sell.

It's actually decent. I'd put their sandwiches on a level a little above McDonald's and the rest - not saying much, sure, but it's something. That said, it's definitely not worth the money especially considering what that money end up funding.

Elf Witch

First Post
I rarely eat fast food. For two reasons one being my health the other money. I do eat Subway now and then. I do occasionally get cravings for things like a Whopper or a Big Mac and I did splurge on a McRib when they came out.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
It's interesting that so many people say they don't eat fast food because of money, yet so many others complain about how the fast food industry is making poor people fat because it's so cheap.

Bullgrit

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
It's interesting that so many people say they don't eat fast food because of money, yet so many others complain about how the fast food industry is making poor people fat because it's so cheap.

Bullgrit
It might depends on what people define has fast food and what they spend on non-fast food food.

It is not necessarely what Limbaugh is telling you. ;)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter

Bullgrit

There are reasons for that.

The fast food menus usually have a combination of very cheap, calorie-laden, low nutrition foods on the menu that are fat/sugar/salt bombs (hitting the wheelhouse of our taste bud chemistry) combined with better options that are generally more expensive than home cooked. (One notable exception: fried chicken is often cheaper to buy commercially than for most people to make.)

In addition, grocery stores in poverty stricken areas tend to have lower quality produce and fewer overall options than groceries in more affluent neighborhoods...at a higher price. (The poor are essentially a captive market, lacking the ability and/or time to travel around for better options.)

Its easier to eat healthily if you have the time & money to make the right choices.

There are reasons for that.

The fast food menus usually have a combination of very cheap, calorie-laden, low nutrition foods on the menu that are fat/sugar/salt bombs (hitting the wheelhouse of our taste bud chemistry) combined with better options that are generally more expensive than home cooked. (One notable exception: fried chicken is often cheaper to buy commercially than for most people to make.)

In addition, grocery stores in poverty stricken areas tend to have lower quality produce and fewer overall options than groceries in more affluent neighborhoods...at a higher price. (The poor are essentially a captive market, lacking the ability and/or time to travel around for better options.)

Its easier to eat healthily if you have the time & money to make the right choices.
Exactly.

I thinking you're talking about food deserts.
Sounds like it.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I thinking you're talking about food deserts.

Yep. I lived in one when I was in law school. Unlike most of my neighbors- who depended on public transportation- I had a car.

It doesn't sound like much, but whereas I could go anywhere I chose at anytime I chose, those who used the busses added anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours on a grocery trip outside of the immediate neighborhood.

Add to that, I could load up my trunk- or Hell, my whole car- with groceries, making several short trips to unload it. Compare that to a bus rider who could only buy what they could personally carry on the bus and from the bus stop in a single trip. That means I make fewer grocery trips.

And that car took me to all knds of other shopping opportunities, including Sam's, the farmer's market, Whole Foods, and the guy who got fresh gulf seafood twice a week.

None of which existed all that close to my neighborhood. Most of my neighbors shopped at a sad little Randall's on the corner that I went to only a couple of times because I needed something immediately.

Last edited:

Remove ads