Do you eat fast food,if so what do you get and where do you go?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You listed 15 places, which each at every other month each means you eat fast food every other day.

(I know that's probably not true, I'm just being super mathematically pedantic for no good reason at all other than it sounds mildly amusing )

:lol:

At one point in my life, it was probably true.

These days, though, my weekdays are spent traveling all over the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex. So I eat breakfast or lunch out nearly every damn day. However, because of my sodium-dependent hypertension, I usually eat in normal restaurants where I can find more low-sodium options as opposed to fast-food places. Sometimes, this means ordering something with some slight changes.

FR example, a combo meal in a FF burger place might be a drink, burger, and fries.

In a restaurant, I can usually order a side that is healthier than fries- a typical choice for me is a pile of carrot sticks or celery stalks.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Well, there was the Indian place I used to go to almost daily. Then I started working there. Then the owner started cutting corners. If the chicken touched my tongue, I started to gag. So I switched to just eating the Naan (bread). Then even that made me sick. Twice.
Sure, I think the quality of the food had been brought back up since, but I would never trust that place again.
And I see I'm not the only one it made sick.
Pity: it was a nice place to go.
Now I cook at home, and spend about 1/3 the money on food that I used to.

Jhaelen

First Post
Since we no longer have a canteen at our workplace, I regularly eat (vegetarian) fast food. Considering the big franchises, I only eat at Subways. The rest of the time I eat at a doner (vegetarian kebab) or an asian snack stall.

Ahnehnois

First Post
Pretty much never. I got away from it for health reasons, but cost is also a factor, and then there's the ethics of the business. I do like french fries, but these days I only eat them rarely and at sit-down restaurants.

To me, cooking my own food is highly desirable as I like to control what goes into it and the act itself is usually enjoyable and it's important to build a habit. If I'm going to not do that, I think it's worthwhile to eat somewhere nice. To some extent this is the luxury of working from home as well.

On the rare occasion that I do eat fast food, it's never at one of the big chains. I haven't eaten from any of them in a long time. Various local health-oriented and diverse fast food and "fast casual" places have become a thing and I try one every now and then.

That said, I live near a quasi-legendary falafel place, one which I thought I'd go to all the time when I moved in, but I find it's usually not worth it, even though it is delicious. I've only been there maybe twice in the past year, and it's a favorite of mine.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Having, myself, implied places like Moe's and CiCi's are fast food restaurants -- though they really aren't -- I think the label "fast food restaurant" gets applied to too many places. And this thought brings up a memory of an argument I had with a friend during a D&D game night.

My friend complained that our city doesn't have any restaurants. I pointed out that there were probably 10 within walking distance of where we were right then sitting, and that I had eaten at one just an hour previous. He said Chili's isn't a restaurant, it's a chain, the same as every other nearby place to sit down and order and eat a meal. There weren't any "real" restaurants in our city. According to him, all chain restaurants are crap. Our argument came down to: I thought he was insane and he thought I was stupid, so we gave up and just grabbed our dice to slay some orcs.

But hearing/reading other people's opinions of restaurants over the years, my friend is not the only person who seems to think that any "chain" restaurant is crap, and fast food places are the pit of hell where they don't even serve actual, real food. What is this mentality?

Bullgrit

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Meh, chains are typically not very great. I guess it comes from eating at places that are pretty great. Once you have a steak at a real place, you understand that the steak Applebee's serves isn't steak at all (though, to be fair, Texas Roadhouse - a chain - does a pretty damned fine job for the money). Still, a chain like a Chili's or Friday's is a lot better than a chain like Wendy's.

Oh, and I see a lot of love for Chik Fil A or whatever you spell it like. While I do agree the sandwiches aren't half bad, I have to say they're small and expensive - not a reason not to eat there, though. Their owner is reason enough to stay far, far away from that place.

Oh, and I see a lot of love for Chik Fil A or whatever you spell it like. While I do agree the sandwiches aren't half bad, I have to say they're small and expensive - not a reason not to eat there, though. Their owner is reason enough to stay far, far away from that place.

many others think that's reason enough to eat there *Shrugs*

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Fast food, in terms of McDonald's, Burger King, and such? Very rarely. When I'm driving down the eastern seaboard to get to a game in the BaltoWash area, I might end up stopping at such a place to get something quickly, but I'd prefer a sit-down restaurant meal if I can manage it.

Fast food, in terms of, say, ordering from my favorite local pizza place or restaurant that does takeout? Maybe once a week, in general. More often recently, because we had to shift household chore burdens, and my wife wants to make my life a little easier now and then. When the burdens shift back, so will our eating habits.

My wife and I are hobby cooks. We cook for ourselves far more often than not.

Last edited:

Remove ads