How Do You Decide What RPGs to Buy?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I drink and make bad choices.
200w.gif

BookTenTiger

He / Him
That's a great idea, but I don't know if the approach would work for me.
What if a group becomes interested in playing a game that I later discover I don't like?
How do I teach a group how to play it without first studying it and bringing it to them?
How do I prepare a first session without knowledge of the rules?

Is this the chain of events?
1) Get the group interested
2) Buy the book(s)
3) Read and study the system
4) Design the first session
5) Teach the players
6) Hope the players haven't lost interest since Event 1
I'd say the process goes like this:

1) Someone in the group is interested in a game.
2) We all research it.
3) We decide to try it out.
4) We purchase the game (either everyone buys it or some people buy it or we all spit the cost).
5) We play and stick with it or eventually switch to a new game.

For example, a while back one person was interested in running Dresden Files. They basically sold us through their enthusiasm. We all chipped in to buy a few copies of the book and shared them. We played for about a year and it was fun!

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I've started buying only those RPGs that I consider to be original insomuch as they do a thing that no other RPG does (mostly in terms of setting). So stuff like Tekumel RPGs, Skyrealms, etc.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
It depends a lot on the sort of game: how involved the line is, if it requires players to have their own copies of the game, etc. For games (like Apocalypse Keys or Thousand Arrows) that cost like $20 or less for a PDF and provide printouts for anything a player needs to reference that's damn near random checking drivethrurpg territory.

Games like Pathfinder Second Edition, Legend of the Five Rings Fifth Edition, Avatar, Infinity, Vampire et al that have a larger corpus of required investment from me, but particularly anyone I want to play them with are generally going to require a lot more research. Often, we'll check out quick starts, have discussions to see if interest is already there. Then I'll often pick up the core rulebook as like a PDF to evaluate, do some test conflicts with one of the other GMs in the group, etc. I generally want to a degree of due diligence if I'm going to invest 60 bucks or more.

Granted if I'm excited, I'll do it off the cuff anyway, but I try to be more circumspect with anything that comes in hardcovers and has game lines.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I don't think there's a single way or reason I buy games. There's just a stack of factors, and when enough of them are met, I might well buy the game.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I don't have the patience for due diligence. I have greatly cut back on my TTRPG spend and try to only buy things that I'm going to use, either to run or because I enjoy just reading through the book(s). I tend to buy a game that looks interesting to me, if I like what I read, I'm might buy some additional materials. I do this before pitching to my players and often have a few systems I would be interested in run to pitch.

If I buy something and it turns out than I don't have much interest in running it or keeping it on the shelf to browse, I give it away or sell it to Half Price Books. I'm fortunate to have a job that pays well, but the job, and family responsibilities mean I don't have a ton of time to research games I might want to check out. While I've become better about avoiding impulse buys by not buying anything late at night and sitting on the idea of a purchase for a few days, it still ultimately is buying by gut feeling.

Moonmover

Explorer
Typically I'll think, "hmm I have some money right now, I'm gonna buy an RPG book." Then I'll go to DriveThruRPG and browse what's currently most popular in print until I see one that looks neat.

That, or I'll be in a bookstore or FLGS for something else and think, "hmm, while I'm here let's see what RPG's they have."

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Typically I'll think, "hmm I have some money right now, I'm gonna buy an RPG book." Then I'll go to DriveThruRPG and browse what's currently most popular in print until I see one that looks neat.

That, or I'll be in a bookstore or FLGS for something else and think, "hmm, while I'm here let's see what RPG's they have."
It has been years since I've bought a TTRPG from a FLGS. Board games on the other hand...I seem preternaturally unable to walk out of a FLGS without spending at least $30, and often much more, on a board or card game or expansion. I still prefer shopping for board games in brick and mortar stores. My favorit LFGS is especially effective in getting me to open my wallet because even though they don't have the biggest collection of games among nearby FLGS, they:
  • do a great job organizing their space
  • have display tables for new games they are highlighting with the game all set up so you can look at the rules, board, and components
  • have a decent sized lending library where you can take a game and play in the store
  • have a large playing space to play games
  • enthusiastic and knowledgeable staff (I've only been able to stump them on obscure or out-of-print games, but they know the games they stock)

Remove ads