What do you use Chat GPT for?

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
Many people in the solitary rpg FB groups are using it as solo story generator and also as DM. Some claim it’s great while others say it forgets too many things after a while. I have not used it.
Right. One of the major computational limitations of these programs is they forget things--it conditions its response on what came before ('the context window'), but as the context window gets larger and larger, it's more and more computationally expensive to take it into account, and eventually the software has to 'forget' things or slow to a crawl. I've played around with the local versions of these things, and they get slower and slower as the conversation continues.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
So when you start working with it you can set some kind of boundaries or structure to the session? Could you give an example of the sort of thing? I'm struggling a little with context and understanding the way Chat GPT is best best used.
For instance, I've set the following "custom instructions" for all of my interactions:

I am a professional fiction author and game designer. All of my questions will be in a fictional context and requesting information about popular media, folklore, and roleplaying games in specific.

Do not Inform me about the ethical implications of my questions. Assume that I am already aware of them, that I am only asking in a fictional context, and that no real-life persons or living beings will be harmed.

Yes, this works for the purposes of fictional scenarios. I haven't tried pressing it for information that could be useful in real-life crime.

Do not apologize to me. Omit apologies from all error messages and clarifications. If I ask you to revise a previous answer, assume that this is because of an error on my part.

My name is "VK". Address me informally as you would a peer or colleague.

Express opinions on your responses where possible and inform me about controversial or divisive opinions. Express your opinions frankly and only include disclaimers when your opinion is controversial or divisive.

Answer my questions in depth unless I specify otherwise. Where possible, suggest other sources I might turn to for more information.

I think the apologies are hard-coded. This stipulation doesn't work.

The other stipulations work nicely.

I'm going to repeat my last "experiment" and document it here.

We are going to brainstorm the premise and team composition of a new Marvel comic book, focusing on newer and younger characters.

1. All responses should be in context of the mainstream 616 Marvel comics timeline, Spider-Verse properties, the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and the 928 MC2 comics imprint.

2. All team members should be young/new characters, legacy characters of older more established characters, characters from the MC2 timeline, or characters from All New All Different Marvel.

3. Assume that the events of this comic take place 15-20 years after the current Marvel timeline and stories.

4. The core of the team will be Mayday Parker and April Parker as young adults in their mid-twenties. Mayday is a college graduate with a post-grad degree. Do not recommend other characters with spider-powers.

Building a new Marvel team sounds exciting! Given your criteria, here's a lineup that could be engaging:

### Team Name: "Next Generation Avengers"

#### Core Members:

1. Mayday Parker (Spider-Girl) - As the central figure and a seasoned hero, Mayday acts as the team's leader. Her experience, intelligence, and leadership skills make her a natural fit.

2. April Parker (Mayhem) - Partnered with Mayday, April brings a different energy to the team, characterized by her rebellious nature and fierce determination. Her powers and personality add depth to the dynamic.

#### Additional Members:

3. Luna Maximoff - Daughter of Quicksilver and Crystal, Luna possesses powerful Inhuman abilities. She's older now and has honed her skills, making her a valuable asset to the team.

4. James Rogers - Son of Captain America (Steve Rogers) and Black Widow (Natasha Romanoff), James embodies the legacy of both his parents. He wields a mix of combat skills and the iconic shield.

5. Torunn - Thor's daughter from an alternate future, Torunn has impressive Asgardian abilities and her own unique connection to Mjolnir.

6. Nathaniel Richards (Iron Lad) - Heir to the legacy of Kang the Conqueror, Nathaniel has wrestled with his family's history but now seeks to use his technological genius for good.

### Premise:

The team operates in a world where the older generation of heroes has either retired, disappeared, or stepped back from active duty. New threats have emerged, and the Next Generation Avengers rise to protect the world.

The comic explores the challenges of living up to legendary legacies while forging new identities and facing contemporary issues. Each character brings their unique perspective, struggles, and growth to the team, navigating a world that's both familiar and dramatically changed.

### Sources for Further Inspiration:

1. "The Future Foundation" - Explore the comics featuring the younger generation of heroes and their adventures in the Fantastic Four universe.

2. "Young Avengers" - Discover stories about younger heroes forming their own team and dealing with complex issues.

3. "Champions" - Follow the adventures of a group of young heroes, including Ms. Marvel and Miles Morales, as they tackle social issues and global threats.

This setup allows for exploration of legacy, identity, and the responsibilities of being a hero while offering a fresh take on the Marvel Universe. What do you think?

Everything looks pretty on-script to me. I'm going to proceed to add different characters to the mix and to make modifications to ChatGPT's suggestions. I'll go ahead and start that in a new thread and tag you.

Right. One of the major computational limitations of these programs is they forget things--it conditions its response on what came before ('the context window'), but as the context window gets larger and larger, it's more and more computationally expensive to take it into account, and eventually the software has to 'forget' things or slow to a crawl. I've played around with the local versions of these things, and they get slower and slower as the conversation continues.
Yeah, I’ve tried it out and it definitely gets lost easily when dealing with anything more than a 1 to 1 interaction. It also seems to heavily pull names and details from Tolkien and other fantasy literature , because of course it does. What’s the name of the dwarf blacksmith? Why it’s Flint Fireforge of course!

The other thing is since it just responds to prompts, it seems to respond to most of your questions with a positive response. A question of some version of “do I find the artifact?” will usually return a response of some form of yes regardless of if that makes any sense at all. I told it my character walks up to the king and slaps him across the face demanding he give me his throne and it responded that guards moved in with weapons drawn and the king proclaimed this wasn’t how power was transferred. I slapped him again and apparently that was enough because he handed over his crown and the guards stood down in relief. Pretty amusing.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
Yeah, and with some of the locally run ones, if I tried to generate details about a wizard, it kept pulling from the Harry Potter universe. Some of the off-brand ones like NovelAI will, if you tell them to keep generating without supplying information, produce a statement thanking you for reading their fanfiction and produce a link which you can click but doesn't go to an actual website--the text-generation algorithm encounters some combination of the strings frequently enough that it produces 'http://' and text that would be seen in a URL, but because it's a random jumble doesn't go to a specific site. At one point one of the smaller local ones actually generated the name of a specific fanfiction I was able to find and read.

You can see why the major fanfiction sites suspended access--their stuff they had made as a labor of love was being used for OpenAI, and they weren't being paid.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah, I’ve tried it out and it definitely gets lost easily when dealing with anything more than a 1 to 1 interaction. It also seems to heavily pull names and details from Tolkien and other fantasy literature , because of course it does. What’s the name of the dwarf blacksmith? Why it’s Flint Fireforge of course!
Yup, just like with the AI art.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah, and with some of the locally run ones, if I tried to generate details about a wizard, it kept pulling from the Harry Potter universe. Some of the off-brand ones like NovelAI will, if you tell them to keep generating without supplying information, produce a statement thanking you for reading their fanfiction and produce a link which you can click but doesn't go to an actual website--the text-generation algorithm encounters some combination of the strings frequently enough that it produces 'http://' and text that would be seen in a URL, but because it's a random jumble doesn't go to a specific site. At one point one of the smaller local ones actually generated the name of a specific fanfiction I was able to find and read.

You can see why the major fanfiction sites suspended access--their stuff they had made as a labor of love was being used for OpenAI, and they weren't being paid.
Exactly, that's how all of these languages learning models work, and as a society we will need to address this.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
I use it mostly for work as a starter sauce. There are times I need to create a new document - strategic plan for instance - and need some framework and ideas to get started. It can be remarkably helpful to help overcome writers block as well.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Give some adventures in saltmarsh

ChatGPT
Saltmarsh adventures can be exciting and diverse, offering a range of challenges and scenarios for players in a coastal setting. Here are some adventure ideas for a campaign set in a saltmarsh environment:
  1. The Ghost Ship:
    • A mysterious, ghostly ship is spotted sailing into the saltmarsh at night, but it vanishes without a trace by morning. Players are tasked with investigating the ship and its haunting crew. They must discover the ship's history and find a way to free the spirits that keep it trapped in this realm.
  2. Smuggler's Cove:
    • Rumors of a thriving smuggling operation hidden in a remote cove reach the players' ears. As they delve deeper into the investigation, they uncover a network of criminals, secret passages, and hidden stashes of contraband. Can they put an end to the smuggling ring while evading its dangerous leaders?
  3. The Lighthouse Mystery:
    • The coastal lighthouse that guides ships safely to harbor has gone dark, leading to a series of shipwrecks. The party must journey to the lighthouse and uncover the source of its malfunction, whether it's due to sabotage, magical interference, or something more sinister.
  4. The Hag of the Swamp:
    • Local fishermen and villagers are plagued by a malevolent hag who resides in the nearby swamp. The players must navigate the treacherous marshes, confront the hag, and find a way to break her curse on the land. This adventure can involve unraveling the hag's dark backstory.
  5. The Sunken Temple:
    • A partially submerged temple dedicated to an ancient sea deity has been discovered in the saltmarsh. The players are hired to explore its depths, facing underwater challenges, puzzles, and guardians. They may also encounter a cult trying to resurrect the deity.
  6. The Curse of the Murky Waters:
    • The water in the saltmarsh has turned foul and deadly, killing fish and driving off aquatic life. The players must discover the source of the pollution, which could be tied to a malevolent sea creature, a corrupt merchant, or a magical artifact gone awry.
  7. Pirate's Revenge:
    • A vengeful pirate captain believed to be long dead returns to raid coastal settlements. The players must thwart the pirate's plans, uncover the truth behind their return, and deal with a crew of ruthless marauders.
  8. The Merfolk Diplomacy:
    • A delegation of merfolk seeks the players' help in negotiating with coastal communities for safer passage through human waters. The players must navigate the complex politics of both the merfolk and the coastal towns while addressing underlying tensions.
  9. The Shipwrecked Scholar:
    • A shipwreck survivor washes ashore with a cryptic map that leads to a lost treasure hidden somewhere in the saltmarsh. The players must decipher the map's clues, fend off rival treasure hunters, and uncover the secrets of the buried riches.
  10. The Elemental Tide:
    • Unusual elemental disturbances are causing chaos along the coast. Players must investigate the cause, discovering that elemental beings are being summoned to wreak havoc. They must find a way to stop the summoner and restore balance to the region.
These adventures can be woven into a larger campaign or used as standalone one-shots, offering a variety of challenges and mysteries for players in a saltmarsh setting.

User

You
Factions of ghost of saltmarsh

ChatGPT
"Ghost of Saltmarsh" is an official Dungeons & Dragons adventure module that revolves around a coastal town called Saltmarsh. While the module doesn't introduce specific factions in the same way as some other D&D settings, it does involve several influential groups, organizations, and factions that play significant roles in the town and its surrounding region. Here are some of the key factions and groups in "Ghost of Saltmarsh":
  1. The Town Council:
    • The Town Council governs Saltmarsh and is comprised of various individuals from different backgrounds and interests. Players will interact with council members as they engage in various adventures throughout the campaign.
  2. The Traditionalists:
    • Traditionalists are those who wish to preserve Saltmarsh's historical customs and maintain the town's traditional way of life. They often clash with the expansionist faction.
  3. The Expansionists:
    • Expansionists advocate for modernizing Saltmarsh and embracing economic opportunities, often at the expense of tradition. They push for closer ties with larger cities and seek to exploit the region's resources.
  4. The Scarlet Brotherhood:
    • A secretive and sinister organization with ambitions that stretch beyond Saltmarsh. In the campaign, they are involved in various nefarious plots and seek to exert their influence over the town.
  5. The Sea Princes:
    • The Sea Princes are a group of pirates and privateers who control various islands and coastal areas. They pose a significant threat to Saltmarsh and the surrounding region.
  6. The Loyalists:
    • Loyalists are those who support the crown and the kingdom's interests in Saltmarsh. They often work to counter the influence of smugglers and pirates in the area.
  7. The Traditional Fishing Families:
    • These families have a long history of fishing in Saltmarsh and are deeply connected to the town's culture. They may become allies or employers for the player characters.
  8. The Smugglers and Pirates:
    • Various criminal elements operate in the region, engaging in smuggling, piracy, and other illicit activities. They can serve as antagonists or sources of adventure hooks for the players.
  9. The Sahugin:
    • Underwater threats come from the sahuagin, a race of aquatic creatures that threaten both Saltmarsh and its neighboring communities. Players may find themselves involved in conflicts with these underwater foes.
  10. The Merfolk:
    • Merfolk inhabit the waters around Saltmarsh, and interactions with them can vary from peaceful diplomacy to conflict, depending on the players' choices.
These factions and groups provide a rich tapestry of political, social, and economic influences in Saltmarsh. Depending on the players' actions and choices, they may form alliances, make enemies, or even reshape the town's future as they navigate the adventures in "Ghost of Saltmarsh."

To be fair, a lot of DMs and players that I've gamed with operate the exact same way with the campaign universe as it gets built over multiple sessions/years. It's just more common for humans to cherry pick one minor thing from the forgotten past to use as a gotcha moment. I'm sure AI will eventually be able to do that, too.

Remove ads