Do you eat fast food,if so what do you get and where do you go?

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Bullgrit said:
McDonald's has some delicious items. And I bet the Doritos taco at Taco Bell is fantastic. Dammit, now I've got to look up and see if there's a Taco Bell near me for lunch. (But I've been craving Wendy's chilli for a few days, now, because of all this snow and ice and cold.)
Right now I'm eating a Doritos taco and a small chili. The taco is much bigger than I expected, and it's pretty darn good, too. The chili is as good as I remember it, and perfect for a cold, nasty day.

Right decent lunch for 350 calories.

Bullgrit

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
People got to McDonald's cause they are familiar with that sort of bland food. Get it right.

Mainly because they haven't been exposed to other stuff when young. Their parents fed them salted and sweeten food when young and they look for it now. There is a reason why McDonald's targets kids so much.

I go to McDonald's occasionally when I want a quick meal. I've had a wide array of experience. My parents were adventurous and asked us to try something new before declaring we didn't like it.

Get over yourself. YOU obviously don't like McDonalds. Other people do, and many of those have been exposed to a wide variety of food choices. The existence of gourmet burger places, my wife's superior cooking skills, and my own culinary talents don't stop that occasional taste for McDonalds.

It's like you're on a crusade. Did they perma-ban you from McDonald's playland as a kid?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Right now I'm eating a Doritos taco and a small chili. The taco is much bigger than I expected, and it's pretty darn good, too. The chili is as good as I remember it, and perfect for a cold, nasty day.

Right decent lunch for 350 calories.

For certain values of "decent". It may be pleasing to the taste buds, but...

One day, we were looking at a Taco Bell, it's menu, pricing, and dietary information, when my wife realized something. Pound for pound, taco bell food was less expensive than the frozen rats we feed our pet snake.

Any restaurant that could legitimately have the tagline, "Cheaper than eating rats!" causes me to think twice.

YMMV, of course.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I go to McDonald's occasionally when I want a quick meal. I've had a wide array of experience. My parents were adventurous and asked us to try something new before declaring we didn't like it.

Get over yourself. YOU obviously don't like McDonalds. Other people do, and many of those have been exposed to a wide variety of food choices. The existence of gourmet burger places, my wife's superior cooking skills, and my own culinary talents don't stop that occasional taste for McDonalds.

It's like you're on a crusade. Did they perma-ban you from McDonald's playland as a kid?
Personal attacks? Must be that mythical enworld politeness I heard so much about, but never really witness.

What crusade? It is just an accurate description of our North American dietary habits of amajority of people. Hence the obesity, diabetus, heart disease, etc, epidemics. Your anecdotale experiences and opinions means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

And it is not a dichotomy. Cheap processed food vs. gourmet/luxury food as the only two alternatives a person will face in their life. There is plenty of tasteful, healthy and affordable foods between the two.

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
Personal attacks? Must be that mythical enworld politeness I heard so much about, but never really witness.

Why so emotional over a joke? You act like you've been perma-banned before.

What crusade? It is just an accurate description of our North American dietary habits of amajority of people. Hence the obesity, diabetus, heart disease, etc, epidemics. Your anecdotale experiences and opinions means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Your 'accurate description' is just as anecdotal. And if you want to keep making the case for blaming businesses for obesity, diabetus, heart disease, etc, you're barking up the wrong tree. Moderation is the key, not blaming everyone else for your problems.

And it is not a dichotomy. Cheap processed food vs. gourmet/luxury food as the only two alternatives a person will face in their life. There is plenty of tasteful, healthy and affordable foods between the two.

Yep, and I mentioned two of those in my post. My classically-trained chef wife and my own natural talent in the kitchen provide our family with plenty of tasteful, healthy and affordable foods between the two. What draws us away from good home cooking into the cheap/quick food vs. luxury/gourmet is the fact that we aren't always home or we don't have the time.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My classically-trained chef wife and my own natural talent in the kitchen provide our family with plenty of tasteful, healthy and affordable foods between the two. What draws us away from good home cooking into the cheap/quick food vs. luxury/gourmet is the fact that we aren't always home or we don't have the time.

Yep, pretty much this. Well...sans the classically-trained chef wife.

(Lucky Basterd.)

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Why so emotional over a joke? You act like you've been perma-banned before.
Upset? I'm only making an observation, champ. ;)

Your 'accurate description' is just as anecdotal.
Nah, it's pretty much what nutritionists have been documenting.

And if you want to keep making the case for blaming businesses for obesity, diabetus, heart disease, etc, you're barking up the wrong tree. Moderation is the key, not blaming everyone else for your problems.
I see, your upset because not because I talk about McDonald's, but because you drank the kool-aid that businesses are victims and such. Well that is politics, so I'll have to leave it be. Ashame.

Yep, and I mentioned two of those in my post. My classically-trained chef wife and my own natural talent in the kitchen provide our family with plenty of tasteful, healthy and affordable foods between the two. What draws us away from good home cooking into the cheap/quick food vs. luxury/gourmet is the fact that we aren't always home or we don't have the time.
Again, champ, it is not a dichotomy. It is a spectrum.

But why go to a terrible fast food restaurant, like McDonald's, instead of going to a restaurant where you can get good food? You don' always have to eat at home. Hell, I enjoy going out to a nice restaurant, and do so fairly often. Why settle for McDonald's?

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Umbran said:
Any restaurant that could legitimately have the tagline, "Cheaper than eating rats!" causes me to think twice.
So, pound to dollars, buying general beef in huge quantities is cheaper than buying specialty rats in small quantities?

Gasoline is much cheaper than bottled water, so surely I should pour water into my truck gas tank because . . . one thing cheaper is worse than an unrelated thing more expensieve.

Or

The ground beef I buy at the grocery store for use in my home hamburgers and tacos is probably cheaper than your rat meat, too. So I guess I should stop doing that and only buy meat that costs more, dollars per pound, than the rats you feed your snake.

Or

Wow, your witty insult really has changed my mind. That taco didn't actually taste good -- it was pathetic and I'm just too ignorant to know it. Damn my unsophisticated pallet. How embarrassing.

Bullgrit

So, pound to dollars, buying general beef in huge quantities is cheaper than buying specialty rats in small quantities?

Gasoline is much cheaper than bottled water, so surely I should pour water into my truck gas tank because . . . one thing cheaper is worse than an unrelated thing more expensieve.

Or

The ground beef I buy at the grocery store for use in my home hamburgers and tacos is probably cheaper than your rat meat, too. So I guess I should stop doing that and only buy meat that costs more, dollars per pound, than the rats you feed your snake.

Or

Wow, your witty insult really has changed my mind. That taco didn't actually taste good -- it was pathetic and I'm just too ignorant to know it. Damn my unsophisticated pallet. How embarrassing.

Bullgrit
Really? I could get a gallon of water between $0.79 and $1.29 at the grocery store. Tap water is even cheaper. I got gas last night, and the cheap stuff was at $3.55. How much is gas and water in your area?

Remove ads