1st world problems: Broke a promise to myself

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I don't like smartphones, and I've been using an Android LG for 2-3 years, now. From my 2nd week of ownership on, I have said I would go back to a basic phone once my contract was up because of 2 major issues:

1) I have lost too many phone calls because I couldn't answer the phone. You have to swipe the screen on a smartphone to answer it, but touchscreens and I are not on the best of terms. And the smaller they are, the worse they treat me. As my friends and relatives would humorously attest if asked, they would see me swiping the screen repeatedly & vigorously to no avail. Then I'd have to return the call I missed.

This also means that you have to take off your gloves in cold weather just to answer the damn phone. The physical buttons on a basic phone handles that issue flawlessly.

2) they require a data plan. Well, I already had an iPod Touch and an iPad2 running using a hotspot's data plan, so I almost never used the one for my phone. While I could have had my phone work as a hotspot, that would just run down my phone's battery faster. I'd rather not simultaneously deprive myself of both phone service and Internet access.

Well, today was "Upgrade Day", and I fully intended to get a basic phone, as promised.

But Verizon kept me on the smartphone nipple: they combined my phone & hotspot data plans into one larger one for less money, AND upgraded to an 16GB iPhone 4S for 99¢. Even though I could have still gotten a basic phone very similar to the one I had 3 years ago, the problems in going retrograde- coupled with Verizon addressing my cost issue- meant there was only one real choice.

At least all of my mobile devices will talk to each other more easily...

(Still gotta use the tiny, temperamental touch screen, though...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3w1_E1V46M

Last edited:

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
But Verizon kept me on the smartphone nipple: they combined my phone & hotspot data plans into one larger one for less money, AND upgraded to an 16GB iPhone 4S for 99¢. Even though I could have still gotten a basic phone very similar to the one I had 3 years ago, the problems in going retrograde- coupled with Verizon addressing my cost issue- meant there was only one real choice.

They got you good. The Matrix doesn't ensnare people by being passive.

Anyway, that sounds kinda like white people's problems, not just 1st world problems.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
You may already be aware of this, but there are all manner of gloves with "conductive fingertips", so you don't need to remove them to utilize a touch screen.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Yeah, I'm aware of them, but I already have nice leather gloves. I shouldn't have to spend more money just to use a freaking phone.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Here's my Third World version of that same problem. A smartphone is too big a target for pickpockets so I have a 35 dollars Nokia dual-sim... and another one on standby just in case someone steals the main one. Fortunately it solves one of my first world problems: I need sim cards for two countries and no smartphone that I know of can handle that. ;)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I know HTC has double SIM card phones- I almost convinced my parents to get or rent some when they last went to Europe.

Remove ads